Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Suggestions for honeymooning in New Zealand?

Has anyone been to New Zealand? My fiance and I are looking at going there for our honeymoon and have done a lot of research on things to do though some people are saying the South Island is much prettier and more fun than the North Island. Though we'll be there in June, so it will be winter time and I'm wondering if we should stick to the North Island for the warmer weather. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

Re: Suggestions for honeymooning in New Zealand?

• Options
    I went to New Zealand in September/October to the South Island and it was freezing there...so in June I believe the South Island would still be cold, so yes the North Island would be a lot warmer, but if you are not worried about the weather, I would highly suggest going to the South Island.  I was in Dunedin most of the time, but the SI is the adventure area of the world.  It's all breathtaking and there is so much to do.  I am a Lord of the Rings nut and i was obessed with all the tourist things to do like that...so I would def do the South Island over the North if you are looking for more adventure!
  • Options
    My FI and I are also thinking of heading to NZ, but we would be doing so in Late Oct/early Nov.  I got this off of wikipedia.  Looks like the weather is always on the temperate side with July (and this June I imagine?) being pretty cold.

ClimateThe climate in the South Island is mostly temperate. The Mean temperature for the South Island is 8 °C (46 °F).[21] January and February are the warmest months while July is the coldest. Historical maxima and minima are 42.4 °C (108.3 °F) in RangioraCanterbury and −21.6 °C (−6.9 °F) inOphirOtago.[22]
  • Options
    My FI lived in NZ for a year, on the South Island (Christchurch). Let me know if you have specific questions! He's very into hiking and kayaking, so if you are outdoorsy I'll ask him for recommendations.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I have some recs! I studied there in our winter months, their summer, so I don't know about the weather first hand, but I can tell you what activities I loved regardless! I studied geology so if some of this seems uber dorky-whoops. 

Rotorua: (has tons of hot springs and geothermal fields with boiling mud)
    -Waitomo caves and blackwater rafting, its pitch black and you see glow worms. do NOT do this if you are claustrophobic. you are squeezed into tiny spaces for long periods of time in total darkness.
    -White Island boat tour and hike. Its an active volcano!

You MUST: The Tangariro Crossing a 17 km hike between two active volcanoes. Also good for LOTR fanatics..I think mount doom is on this hike?

Queenstown has tons of reall cool tours and plenty of skydiving/bungee opportunities

Milford Sound is absolutely beautiful fjord and one of the rainiest spots on earth-that means more waterfalls than you could ever imagine.

• Options
    Thanks for the great recs Erin!

And Msmerymac, you get better and better.  I don't have any specific questions know, but knowing that you are such a wealth of information, I will be sure to page you when I think of some.

• Options
    Aw, thanks! I'll try to help anytime!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks everyeone!!!
  • Options
    I've been to both 2 island and LOVED them!!  The girls have given you some really great tips!  Don't forget to spend some time in Auckland too.  You can visit the Sky Tower (there is a great restuarant at the top!!.) It a wonderful walking city, lots of beautiful parks!! I really loved it!

If you visit the Rotorua area, try zorbing!! If you don't know what that is look it up on youtube!!  It was sooooo much fun!

Wellington on the tip of the North Island holds a very special place in my heart.  I bought my wedding dress there.  Yes I bought my dress while on vacation.  I saw it in a shop window, fell in love with it, made a few long-distance calls to my mom and 4 hours later it was mine!

Have fun planning :)
  • Options
    I live in the North Island of New Zealand, and I wouldnt use temperature difference to choose between Islands because to be honest if its cold, its cold. The south island is a couple degrees colder in winter than the North. Its situated closer to antarctica so it gets a bit more rainfall and it snows. Thats pretty much it.

The top of the South Island is beautiful, especially the Marlborough region (a tonne of wineries near Blenheim, and the scenery at Nelson). Milford sound is gorgeous! Queenstown mainly has a tourist population, known for skiing etc, kinda the Aspen of NZ lol.
     The South Island does have alotmore to offer when it comes to scenery, but the whole country has nice places to go, and as PP has said above, the whole place has outdoorsy type stuff to do... kayaking, hiking, jetboating, bungyjumping, zorbing, winery/vineyard tours...

My favourite place in the North Island is the Bay of Islands. Cluster islands, very laid back.. dolphin cruises etc available. Reasonably priced resorts around etc.
    Other tourist hotspots in the North Island are Auckland, Wellington and Rotorua.
    There is also a ferry called the Interislander that runs between Wellington in the North to Piction in the south. This costs about US$40 per person and takes about an hour and a half. The Warmest place in June is likely to be the upper north Island (anything above Auckland.. like the historic Bay of Islands which has a ferry to the countrys first capital, Russell. But keep in mind theres not much shopping to do up there! Its all quite lowkey).

I'm most likely to stay in NZ for my honeymoon also, theres so many places to visit.. but perhaps I'd like to stay at a spa resort or something as that would be a new experience that us new zealanders dont get to do very often..!

Google, google, and google some more..!

hope this helps  =)
  • Options
    We're going to New Zealand for our honeymoon late October 2010.  I'd be happy to share my itinerary with you for ideas of what to do.  I already had a bunch of ideas of what to do in mind, but http://www.guestnewzealand.com/ has been very helpful and put together a great itinerary for me.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards