Florida-South Florida

18 days away and NOW FMIL decides to "help?" *Vent*

I am 18 days away from my wedding. Needless to say, I am stressed. Not only am I dealing with wedding related things, but I have also been getting our house together (with the help of my awesome parents and fiance), and am currently running my family's business because my family is away spreading the ashes of my uncle. The house was completely destroyed, so we've literally had to gut it, and redo EVERYTHING. The business is not too bad, however I am by myself, and cannot get anything wedding related done while I am here. So I am a little on edge.

My FMIL has been completely absent throughout the whole wedding planning process, even after I made attempts to involve her. I asked her for her guest list from the beginning, and she never gave me one, so my fiance and I put our heads together and tried to invite as many of her "people" (for lack of a better word) as we could think of. Obviously, we had to cut some due to budget restraints.

When my fiance graduated the police academy in November of 2011, I asked her to be more involved, and even offered to take her with me to pick out my dress and her dress, and tried to involve her with the bridal shower. She was a no show to all of these events. Did not meet to look for my dress, and never made a date to pick out hers. And she didn't show up to my bridal shower (and it didn't go unnoticed by many of the guests at the bridal shower). Yet, after the bridal shower she complained to my fiance how I was leaving her out of the wedding planning and am not involving her at all. WTH?!

This woman claims to her son (my fiance) that she loves me, however, she snubs me every chance she gets. I've called her to ask her opinion and she never answers, I even emailed her as a last resort. She speaks English, but whenever she is around me she refuses to speak English, only Spanish (I don't speak Spanish).

And now, 18 days before the wedding, she informs my fiance that she has invited 15 extra people to the wedding, and complained to my fiance that I never asked her for a list. WTH?! My parents are paying for the whole wedding AND the rehearsal dinner, and my fiance's parents have never offered to help financially at all. I never expected them to, but now when she invites 15 extra people, I feel like she should. We cannot afford 15 extra people.

My fiance has a "whatever" attitude about this whole thing. He doesn't want to get involved, and I think that is stupid. He should be defending me. Regardless of that, I am pissed at this woman. Plainly put, if she crosses me on my wedding day, I will knock her out.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 18 days away and NOW FMIL decides to "help?" *Vent*

• Regardless of that, I am pissed at this woman. Plainly put, if she crosses me on my wedding day, I will knock her out.
    Posted by mpotl001[/QUOTE]

This made me literally laugh out loud. i'm sorry you are going through this! use your ring hand to punch her, that way the dimond leaves a nice mark!

• josgirljosgirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Wow the other day my FFIL said "whoever invites guest, outside of the guest list must assume they are paying for those guest, that's final " this came up because my grandmother went ahead and printed 25 STD on her own!!!! I agree with him completely. If my grandma truly thinks her COUSINS need to be invited then she should pay for them. (luckily my mother and FFIL teamed up and made this very clear to my grandmother) I hope your parents can vocalize that there was a time , many months ago, when a guest list was drawn up, and it is just too late now to invite anyone else. It's not because her guest are not important it is because you can not rescind invitations that have all ready gone out and can not afford to be over your head count. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this I'd want to knock her out too!!!
  • Lol Melissa! I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm with you, there's no way those 15 ppl would show up at my wedding. I've heard this kind of stuff from a lot of other brides, my dive is be careful what you say and do because men are fiercely loyalty their mothers and she will one day be your baby's Gandmother. Don't give her ammunition to use against you. I would sit her down, with him present and tell her this was very last minute and you can accommodate 7, any extras she must pay for.
    SoFla December Siggy: Our favorite Holiday pic=Christmas 2011, 3 days after we got engaged 7E8C9975-2584-46D6-9348-98F987844629-655-00000022C95C02AF magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Free Disney Tickers https://apps.facebook.com/Disney-Weddings/sites/theprincessandthegator
  • wow!! I honestly feel like your FMIL and mine may be related!!! LOL!!...I can totally empathize with you and I feel your every anger and pain for this situation.  Like STBMrsDio said- choose your words carefully because men are very loyal to their mothers and do not want to be put in the middle.  They are trying to please the two most important women in thier lives and that is a feat.  My FMIL speaks Spanish and I do not and she often does the same thing when I'm around.  I don't know if she just forgets or if its her way of not including me...My FI and his brother did notice how bad her English since I've been around though.  Anyway, I think you should go to her house with FI and speak with her face to face.  This is her way of being "involved" and making herself feel liek she has some control. I know your FI does not want to get involved but this is money for food and an extra table and a huge last minute expense.  He needs to "man up" and speak with his Mom.  You are kind to even say seven extra guests are possible. And know that if you don't come to some compromise she will hang this over your head forever... Just remember at the end of the day it's about you and your man!! You and FI against the world.  Sometimes you have to sleep on it to digest the situation and not over react or take it out on FI...it's hard my dear and I feel for you.  PM me if you want to talk more...I have some storeis!!! LOL!!! Good Luck!! 
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh, I'm SO sorry you're in this mess girl!!! Sending major vibes!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thanks ladies. I really appreciate all the support lol Yeah Nikki, this lady has been horrible from the beginning. It's been a slow, then rapid decline lol I just wish I could learn Spanish so I could understand what she's saying (I have a feeling its about me) lol and Katie, I'm sure we could write a book with our horror stories combined lol in fact, that might be a huge payoff for the cards we've been dealt lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i'm sorry for what you're going through ... i know the feeling as well ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards