Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?

My fiance and I decided that we went to have our reception catered by the small family run pizza place down the street from our apartment. We really love thier pizza and were thinking of having several different Veggie Pizzas available for our guests. (I'm Jewish, so we can't have pork products, and becasue of the whole meat and dairy thing, we're keeping everything veg.) 

We really can't spring the cash to pay for a full catered meal. For my sister's wedding, we actually cooked the whole meal in the kitchen of the church she got married in. And it was so hectic that we forgot one of the turkies in the oven. 

But, the difference is, alot more people are coming to my wedding, and instead of us paying for our wedding ourselves my dad is paying for it and he wants it to be nice and somewhat classy. But, we're very frugal.

But, when I tell this to some people they think that it's super tacky. Is this tacky?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?

• I don't think it is *tacky* to have pizza, but it is informal. So you shouldn't expect your guests to be in black tie if they're going to be eating pizza. Maybe if you had a lunch reception it would be less unexpected?
    I also don't think you should have just pizza. (Forgive me if this seems obvious, but as you only mentioned the pizza I want to make sure...) You should have some side dishes as well--yummy salad, maybe some roasted potatoes and veggies, maybe a pasta dish. Some people just don't like pizza so you want them to have other options.
    For your dad--tell him it is 'flatbread' and it is all the rage in upscale restaurants these days.
  • I think it would be great.  Can you add a salad? Some people can't eat the pizza/crust because of allergies.   all you have to do is feed people.   and give them something to drink.  lemonaide and water would work.   I would be happy going to a pizza reception. You could add wings.  Since there will be no meat on the pizza. 
  • I see the following issues:

1. How formal is your venue? If I showed up at a beautiful banquet hall with a nice gift, I'd be a bit miffed to see only cardboard boxes of pizza.
    2. How would you keep the pizzas warm?
    3. Are you allowing meat options for your non-Jewish guests?

Would you be entirely opposed to having a regular plated meal (since this doesn't appear to be a budgetary issue...), and bringing in the pizzas as a late-night snack?

•  I agree that it depends on the reception space. I feel that pizza is better left for a late night snack also. Could you see if the place offers a catering menu? Most Italian pizzeria/restaurants will sell you trays of pastas & other dishes. Perhaps you can get a few trays. Also, how many guests are we looking at? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:955d2db4-fb21-406a-a20f-a624744e9978">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it is *tacky* to have pizza, but it is informal. So you shouldn't expect your guests to be in black tie if they're going to be eating pizza. Maybe if you had a lunch reception it would be less unexpected? I also don't think you should have just pizza. (Forgive me if this seems obvious, but as you only mentioned the pizza I want to make sure...) You should have some side dishes as well--yummy salad, maybe some roasted potatoes and veggies, maybe a pasta dish. Some people just don't like pizza so you want them to have other options. For your dad--tell him it is 'flatbread' and it is all the rage in upscale restaurants these days.
    Posted by SachaBee[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Well, of course it wouldn't just be pizza. It'd be like side salad and breadsticks and some of my other favorite dishes from Queen City Pizza.  My dad is all on board for the pizza, him and my fiance started scheming on it months ago.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:d3f8dec4-e0b9-427c-92cc-90037e869100">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I agree that it depends on the reception space. I feel that pizza is better left for a late night snack also. Could you see if the place offers a catering menu? Most Italian pizzeria/restaurants will sell you trays of pastas & other dishes. Perhaps you can get a few trays. Also, how many guests are we looking at? 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this is a good idea.  See if the pizza place can do some other options.  You can still have pizza, but try to have more variety (pasta, salads, veggies, garlic bread, etc.).  I also agree with PPs that you should make sure your reception is overall less formal to make the food fit with the rest of the reception.  I think you're fine keeping everything dairy/veg.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:e70d8509-fde3-41ed-921f-bbefa26e22d5">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it would be great.  Can you add a salad? Some people can't eat the pizza/crust because of allergies.   all you have to do is feed people.   and give them something to drink.  lemonaide and water would work.   I would be happy going to a pizza reception. You could add wings.  Since there will be no meat on the pizza. 
    Posted by theelusive1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I know pretty much everyone personally who is coming and their allergies. At most 100 people will come. And I know every person with a gluten allergy. And that one person is my sister. Since we are going to be baking several hand baked pizzas in a kosher kitchen at a local Chabad house for the more orthodox people who might come (They might not, but It's better to be safe than sorry.) And when we do that we can hand bake gluten free pizza. And wings can't be there at all, because of no meat and dairy at all. While I am not that into seperating poultry and dairy because frankly a chicken can't be boiled in it's mothers milk. But, we're keeping it kosherish. <span style="white-space:pre;" class="Apple-tab-span"> </span></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:3a4c4ea0-1ca5-43de-99da-344c71034414">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see the following issues: 1. How formal is your venue? If I showed up at a beautiful banquet hall with a nice gift, I'd be a bit miffed to see only cardboard boxes of pizza. 2. How would you keep the pizzas warm? 3. Are you allowing meat options for your non-Jewish guests? Would you be entirely opposed to having a regular plated meal (since this doesn't appear to be a budgetary issue...), and bringing in the pizzas as a late-night snack?
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>DId you even read my post? It's going to be cheaper to do pizzas instead of having a caterer. It's people on the internet who say it's tacky not anyone I'm inviting. It'll cost like like 200 dollars to buy the pizzas whereas catering would cost much much much more than that. We're having the reception in the synagauge where we're being married. There is a full professional kitchen in the synagauge. And no, we will NOT be having any meat for our non-jewish guests because we are infact having it INSIDE the synagauge and they should be respectful of my culture and my traditional wedding. If they don't like it, they don't gotta come, simple as that.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sincerest apologies for trying to help. You said your father wanted your reception to be "nice and somewhat classy", so we were trying to help you with honest opinions. You did not state in your post that your reception is in a Synagogue, considering you misspelled it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:caf93e20-8104-4d76-8ad4-6c3f7c6267b8">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sincerest apologies for trying to help. You said your father wanted your reception to be "nice and somewhat classy", so we were trying to help you with honest opinions. You did not state in your post that your reception is in a Synagogue, considering you misspelled it.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>It's called a G D typo. I'm so sorry that when I get angry I sometimes mispell things. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SachaBeeSachaBee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    Please don't be defensive and angry--we are just trying to offer suggestions.
    I too was under the impression that your father was opposed to the pizza. Must have misunderstood.
    I don't see a problem with having a non-meat wedding, but I do see an issue with your apparent attitude towards your guests.
  • Can this post be deleted?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:27d889d8-2b56-4015-9e38-12d71b546421">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can this post be deleted?
    Posted by powelldo[/QUOTE]
    No, though TK might eat it for fun.

• ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:9152c1a7-569b-47aa-ad03-72777f20b7e4">Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I decided that we went to have our reception catered by the small family run pizza place down the street from our apartment. We really love thier pizza and were thinking of having several different Veggie Pizzas available for our guests. (I'm Jewish, so we can't have pork products, and becasue of the whole meat and dairy thing, we're keeping everything veg.)   We really can't spring the cash to pay for a full catered meal. For my sister's wedding, we actually cooked the whole meal in the kitchen of the church she got married in. And it was so hectic that we forgot one of the turkies in the oven.  But, the difference is, alot more people are coming to my wedding, and instead of us paying for our wedding ourselves my dad is paying for it and he wants it to be nice and somewhat classy. But, we're very frugal. But, when I tell this to some people they think that it's super tacky. Is this tacky?

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:ebe354f9-bdec-4a2a-8dd2-dfe19de9f5e6">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky? : DId you even read my post? It's going to be cheaper to do pizzas instead of having a caterer.<strong> It's people on the internet who say it's tacky not anyone I'm inviting</strong>. It'll cost like like 200 dollars to buy the pizzas whereas catering would cost much much much more than that. We're having the reception in the synagauge where we're being married. There is a full professional kitchen in the synagauge. And no, we will NOT be having any meat for our non-jewish guests because we are infact having it INSIDE the synagauge and they should be respectful of my culture and my traditional wedding. If they don't like it, they don't gotta come, simple as that.

No one you're inviting is going to tell you your idea is tacky.  They don't want to hurt your feelings.   The people on the internet don't know you and are trying to spare you embrarassement.  I expect pizza when I'm lounging watching football or on a Friday night playing a card game with friends, not when I go to a wedding.  

I highly suggest trays of pasta/salad/etc instead.  Maybe you can cut something else out, help your dad pay for it, cut down your guest list, work a second job, postpone the wedding until you can afford what you want, etc. 

Now, if pizza is what you want, go for it.  Just know that it makes for a less than impressive meal for your guests on one of the most important days of your life.  Also, there is really no way to make pizza "classy" as you stated you wanted in your original post.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:9152c1a7-569b-47aa-ad03-72777f20b7e4">Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I decided that we went to have our reception catered by the small family run pizza place down the street from our apartment. We really love thier pizza and were thinking of having several different Veggie Pizzas available for our guests. (I'm Jewish, so we can't have pork products, and becasue of the whole meat and dairy thing, we're keeping everything veg.)   We really can't spring the cash to pay for a full catered meal. For my sister's wedding, we actually cooked the whole meal in the kitchen of the church she got married in. And it was so hectic that we forgot one of the turkies in the oven.  But, the difference is, alot more people are coming to my wedding, and instead of us paying for our wedding ourselves my dad is paying for it and he wants it to be nice and somewhat classy. But, we're very frugal. But, <strong>when I tell this to some people they think that it's super tacky</strong>. Is this tacky?

<div>Are people IRL telling you that it's tacky, or people somewhere else on the internet?  See how the bolded makes it sounds like it's people IRL?</div>
  • Geez, someone is getting defensive. You asked for opinions. Don't get upset when some don't validate you. Like most have said, if your wedding is informal, then it's perfectly fine. Having some variety would be best, which is why some, like myself, suggested also getting some pasta and other items from the restaurant. I got a few trays of food from an Italian restaurant for our rehearsal dinner & it really wasn't that much more expensive than pizza. Don't just dismiss the idea. Look into the different places around you & see if you can diversify the menu. The reception is to thank your guests for coming & should accomodate them as best as possible. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:a576a825-35fb-490a-a4e5-7158c8619b8a">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky? : I know pretty much everyone personally who is coming and their allergies. At most 100 people will come. And I know every person with a gluten allergy. And that one person is my sister. Since we are going to be baking several hand baked pizzas in a kosher kitchen at a local Chabad house for the more orthodox people who might come (They might not, but It's better to be safe than sorry.) And when we do that we can hand bake gluten free pizza. And wings can't be there at all, because of<strong> <u>no meat and dairy at all</u></strong>. While I am not that into seperating poultry and dairy because frankly a chicken can't be boiled in it's mothers milk. But, we're keeping it kosherish. 

Does this mean no cheese on the pizza's?  Or does that not count? I'm honestly curious. 
    Anniversary
  • I'm all for laid-back weddings, seriously, but even I would draw the line at pizza.  You eat pizza after a little league baseball game or clubbing at 3 am., but not a wedding.  Many types of casual food could be done very well at a wedding -- like BBQ -- but pizzas just say "this is the least amount of thought that we could possibly put into food for our guests."

There are some good ideas earlier in the thread, such as salads and pasta, that should work within your budget.  If you don't have any meat, then you could have tomato-based sauces as well as cream-based sauces, plus different salads.

• no it means no meat can be served with dairy (cheese).  So the pizzas can be served vegetable with cheese.  not meat with cheese.   I would think that a pasta salad with tofu would add a needed protien.  Or maybe a 3 bean salad.  A lettuce salad would could include cheese but not meat.   
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:b5ba66a3-594e-4417-a3f0-19a67be5e1ad">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]no it <strong>means no meat can be served with dairy (cheese</strong>).  So the pizzas can be served vegetable with cheese.  not meat with cheese.   I would think that a pasta salad with tofu would add a needed protien.  Or maybe a 3 bean salad.  A lettuce salad would could include cheese but not meat.   
    Posted by theelusive1[/QUOTE]

So why are wings not allowed?  As long as you don't serve them with a side of blue cheese dressing your fine, right?  I'm confused.

Anyhoo, like others have said, that as long as your wedding is informal (like a backyard type of thing, not in a huge elaborate ballroom) having pizza and pasta is perfectly fine and sounds pretty yummy in my book.

But variety is key because not everyone will want to eat pizza and also some guests could be lactose intolerant which means no dairy what so ever so make sure to have non-dairy options as well.

• edited August 2012
    It's no meat and dairy in the same meal.  There are time restrictions for when you can eat dairy after eating meat, and vice versa, and some people more observant of Jewish dietary laws will have separate dishes for dairy and meat. 

Also, OP, is your synagogue/venue ok with non-kosher pizza?  That would be a significant issue with this plan, if it's not.

ETA: And now, I want pizza.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:9add0992-40b0-42b8-a196-d055ed893c67">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's no meat and dairy in the same meal.  There are time restrictions for when you can eat dairy after eating meat, and vice versa, and some people more observant of Jewish dietary laws will have separate dishes for dairy and meat.  Also, OP, is your synagogue/venue ok with non-kosher pizza?  That would be a significant issue with this plan, if it's not. ETA: And now, I want pizza.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

I am truly interested and definitely not trying to be funny at all...just wanted to throw that out there before I asked my question.

So you can serve both meat dishes and diary dishes at the same event but you just can't eat both dishes if you follow the dietary rules?  Is that correct?

As you can tell I am not Jewish but I find learning about other people's religions and the customs within that religion not only interesting but helpful when talking to people of different faiths.

• Maggie, different people that are Jewish have all different levels of observance, so you will see all different things and I'm just trying to give general background, not speak for every Jewish person or person who keeps kosher.  A meal that is kosher would not have both meat and dairy.  Some people will go to a nonkosher restuarant, which would have all kinds of nonkosher stuff (nonkosher meat, milk + meat together, etc.), and will eat "kosher style"--so fish or vegetarian.  Other people will not eat at that restaurant at all.  I have been to a kosher restaurant that serves both dairy and meat, but from two different kitchens, on two sets of dishes, and with two different seating areas--so if we went together to eat and I wanted cheese ravioli and you wanted a burger, we wouldn't be able to sit together.  Other kosher restaurants serve exclusively meat or dairy. 

Not sure why I went to all the restaurant examples, but hopefully that all made sense.  Oh, and I asked OP about the pizza because some cheese is made with meat-derived enzymes, so that would not be kosher (you can buy cheese--and all kinds of processed food--that is specifically certified as kosher). 

And DH just confirmed we are having mushroom pizza for dinner :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:9dd37588-f84e-491f-afa9-b4b072b1db49">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky? : So why are wings not allowed?  As long as you don't serve them with a side of blue cheese dressing your fine, right?  I'm confused.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

The way animals are raised and slaughtered is also part of eating kosher. I'm sure the chicken wings are NOT kosher (the slaughterhouse needs to have a rabbi present, as well as some other considerations, to have certified kosher meat, which makes it expensive to produce).

Vegetarian food is marginally kosher - at least more kosher than non-kosher-slaughtered animals. So it's easier. Most of my friends who try to keep kosher just eat vegetarian food when we go out to a non-kosher restaurant. Even if they had a meat dish with no dairy, they don't know the source of the meat.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Pizza at the reception is fine, it's your attitude here that is tacky.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think pizza is fine, especially if you add a salad, bread, and maybe pasta if that's an option? I think going vegetarian is fine, especially if it's for religious reasons-- your guests should be okay with it. Don't serve it out of cardboard boxes to keep it classy.
    Anniversary
  • I am Jewish and understand the laws of kashrut and also what most people have come to expect a wedding. I love pizza but would not be happy if you served it to me at a wedding.  Especially if it is cold by the time it is served (as usually happens with pizzas when served to large groups).

What time of the day is your wedding planned for?  My recommendation for doing an inexpensive but tasteful kosher or kosher-style reception would be to do a Sunday brunch and have a deli do inexpensive bagel platters.  Smoked fish platters are always welcome in the Jewish community but if you need to keep the costs down bagels and cream cheese and maybe a green salad and a fruit salad would be much more expected at a synagogue reception than pizzas. 

And OP, please don't get short with the PPs who are not familiar with kashrut, they are only trying to help.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-the-reception-is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53e70ad3-d0b7-473b-8f3b-8032daba4f30Post:cee4fd40-b356-4343-b5d0-d8b3a5a3f129">Re: Pizza for the Reception, is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pizza at the reception is fine, it's your attitude here that is tacky.
    Posted by afeliz79[/QUOTE]

<div>like</div>
  • Our first thought was to just go with pizza for our reception. We're having a very informal wedding though (halloween themed, guests are welcome to wear costumes), so pizza would work out just fine. We ended up changing our minds though, and are doing the food ourselves, with pizza as a back up if we run out. But really, its all what you guys want! We had people tell us we'd regret having pizza as our dinner, but thats because most people are so used to the same type of food at every wedding they go to. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards