Honeymoon Discussions

Thoughts about Cuba?

Hello Knotties!
Hope you are having an awesome long weekend Friday! 
The mister and decided on Cuba for the honeymoon. Anyone been there and can recommend some awesome places to stay?? When to go? We for sure want to spend time on Havana.. have some Cuban rum, sit on the Cuban wall and smoke a Cuban cigar. 
Thanks! 
Anniversary

Re: Thoughts about Cuba?

• Yeah, i guess thats true. I hope that changes for you guys too! 
    Anniversary
  • My friend is vacationing there with her hubby for the second time.
    I've seen gorgeous photos/beaches. 
    I'll ask for some input as she comes back on tuesday!
  • BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    From what I hear, if you're American, go through Canada or Mexico and don't get your passport stamped in Cuba.
  • We were in Varadero last year and had a great time!! The people are very friendly.. We went for a week of relaxation in the sun and stayed at the Blau Varadero. It was a mostly adult hotel and quiet at night.. def not a party place at all.  We went in April and it was  beautiful and sunny every day. Enjoy!
  • Awesome, this is all good stuff. Yes, I am a Canadian too! :P 
    We are looking for an adult only place on the water! :) 
    Anniversary
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_thoughts-cuba?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:4d1eac0c-52d5-4952-bea2-118338a542a3Post:5abc867f-fb7f-4e23-9b4e-c2545d10b6c9">Re: Thoughts about Cuba?</a>:
    [QUOTE]From what I hear, if you're American, go through Canada or Mexico and don't get your passport stamped in Cuba.
    Posted by Beazilla[/QUOTE]

<div>I've known people who have done this, and 50% of them end up getting caught (I have no idea how the US govt finds out) and fined $1500.  I wouldn't suggest doing things illegally, what a damper at the end of your travels.</div>
  • i would love to go to cuba one day. i hope the no americans rule changes. have a great time!
  • Cuba has the best beaches in the Caribbean -definitely go there! I went when I was 16 to Cayo Coco -its a man-made island for tourists and is a long bus ride from the airport, but my family and I enjoyed it. My friends and family have all been to different areas of Cuba. Its less expensive than other more "exotic" places and has had a large tourism industry for many years now, so they know what they're doing :)

The only negative I hear about Cuba is the AI food isn't the greatest. No major complaints, but if you're a foodie, or are expecting top-notch buffet (kind of an oxymoron imo) then you may be disapopinted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hurrah! Thanks! 
    Anniversary
  • I am American and have been to Cuba many times but I do have to apply for a special visa that gives me persmission to get there. The American government lets you go if you are Cuban and have direct family there.

Cayo Coco is beautiful but if you don't have the chance to see all these great places I'd stick to Havana and Varadero if you can. Regarding the food, I think it's great but I'm biased. It definitely isn't 5 star quality. It is mostly quotidian foods, very tasteful but not at all fancy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_thoughts-cuba?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4d1eac0c-52d5-4952-bea2-118338a542a3Post:5ada2cb4-26c9-417f-b957-f3d182f6ba03">Re: Thoughts about Cuba?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cuba has the best beaches in the Caribbean -definitely go there! I went when I was 16 to Cayo Coco -its a man-made island for tourists and is a long bus ride from the airport, but my family and I enjoyed it. My friends and family have all been to different areas of Cuba. Its less expensive than other more "exotic" places and has had a large tourism industry for many years now, so they know what they're doing :) The only negative I hear about Cuba is the AI food isn't the greatest. No major complaints, but if you're a foodie, or are expecting top-notch buffet (kind of an oxymoron imo) then you may be disapopinted.
    Posted by Car&Ry[/QUOTE]

Actually there is an airport on the island now so the ride isn't longer than 20 minutes.

If you want to go to Havana, I suggest you go to Varadero.  It's the closest ''tourist'' location.  While I don't think it's the nicest place to go to, the nghtlife is definitely the best.  As for food, hotels don't really have great food but if you take a taxi and go on the main strip there are a lot of Cuban restaurants that aer amazing and they are extremely cheap.  Seriously I'm talking like 10$ for a 5-course meal.  The best restaurant in my opinion is La Vicaria.  It has an hibiscus logo (purple if I remember correctly) so you can't miss it.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will defiantly have to check out that restaurant then! Thanks Cnythia1207!
    Anniversary
  • cpfwvucpfwvu member
    First Comment
    Oh yes, we were also not supposed to use the local currency. They definitely don't want tourists paying the same supercheap prices as the citizens. We literally had to trade dollars for Cuban pesos with random Cubans. They were fine with it, though, cause they liked having dollars. There is (was?) a big black market there and a lot of things are done on the down-low to get around government restrictions. I guess it just depends on how much of a risk-taker you are! I happened to be with other people who were! 

It also has been 8 years since I was there. They still used the American dollar and now they supposedly don't. Things are still crazy cheap either way, so it probably doesn't matter much if you just use the convertible peso.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2011
    Oh dear whoever told you the American dollar is illegal in Cuba is lying to you.  It's legal, you just get fined 10% plus the exchange rate.  You can't pay anything in American dollars, just like you can't in Canadian dollars.  You exchange it in CUC. 

The Cuban Peso is for locals.  It's worth nothing.  1 CUC = 25 Cuban Pesos.  The only things in Cuba that are in pesos are local stores and even they have a mix of items that are charged either in Cuban pesos or CUC.  No one is going to stop you from using cuban pesos but it's useless since everything is mostly in CUC anyway and exchanged it comes out to the same price.  The only thing that might be different is medication.  It's only normal that they charge more for a tourist, they do it everywhere in the world.  Insurance covers it so they charge more. (I work in travel insurance)

Food is NOT all fried.  Black beans and rice is the Cuban main dish and it's called congris.  They have more food than what you see in the hotels.  Cubans barely eat french fries, in fact I've never eaten french fries EVER when I went there. Go into a Cuban household and you'll eat healthier and better tasting food than many places in the US or Canada.  Fruits and vegetables are grown locally and are not exported.  Have you ever walked in a grocery store and seen "Mangos-Cuba"?  I haven't.  If there were, I would be buying them every week. The only item we have here is Cuban coffee - Cubita.  Drive down a "highway" you'll see many farmers selling their products in little huts on the side of the road. 

The Cuban Black Market is huge.  It's their way to survive for many different reasons. I won't go more into it. I don't recommend a tourist engaging in any black market transactions.  If you happen to get caught, you don't want to spend time in a Cuban jail for treason against the gvt.  Also if you bring in black market items into the US or Canada and you happen to be the lucky person customs decide to check, be prepared to pay a hefty fine.  If you don't know the system, don't do it. If you don't know what a chivato is, it's a pretty good sign you shouldn't be engaging in the black market.

Sorry if this comes out a little rough, I don't mean it to be.  I just want to set things straight.  I've been several times and not only in hotels so I know how it works.  FI was born and raised in Cuba and I'm always treated as a Cuban when I go there, not as a tourist.  I've seen the beauty of the island but I've also seen, and on occasion have been subjected to, the darker side of it.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards