Ohio-Cincinnati

Sad that I have to once again change my wedding date :( SOOOOO frustrated!

Originally I had my wedding date set for November 11, 2011. I was just about to sign the contract for my venue when my father had a stroke. Obviously, my whole world stopped and my wedding was the furthest thing on my mind. Dad was in the hospital for 1 month and stayed with me for 2 months. I decided at that point to put the wedding off until March 31, 2012, so that my father would have time to heal and get back to himself and so I would have sufficient time to plan my wedding. So all of this time I have been hiring vendors, booking my venue, etc for March 31. My DJ calls me tonight and tells me that unfortunately he will not be able to DJ March 31 because he didn't realize that this was March Madness and that if I have a lot of sports fans in my family, I may want to reconsider this date! UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! My fiance is not a big sports man so this didn't even occur to me and I want everyone to be there and I don't want anyone to miss something they truly enjoy to come to my reception. Even though I hate watching sports, I understand it is a big deal to a lot of people. So....here we go again. I am having my reception in a church with no air conditioning so all of March is out because of basketball, the first Saturday in April is Easter weekend and I am afraid May might be too hot! What to do, what to do! I am so afraid to get set on another date and then have to reschedule yet again. My vendors are probably going to be very upset with me for moving my date for a third time and I don't blame them. Any suggestions on a good date that may not be too hot for no air conditions? Thanks girls! Just needed to vent before I go and have a good cry! Yell

Re: Sad that I have to once again change my wedding date :( SOOOOO frustrated!

• kmorgan28kmorgan28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I would worry too much about the March Madness conflict... and I'm a big college basketball fan!  I've learned over the time of my planning that you can't please everybody, so do what is best for your and your FI!  It's your wedding!  Everyone that needs to be there, will be there... instead of going to a basetball game.  And if there is a team in the tourney that family/friends want to watch.. I always thought it would be fun to have a TV near by to enjoy the game all thogether..if that's your cup of tea!  (Our wedding is Oct. 22nd... and is during the World Series, so *cross fingers, knock on wood* IF the Reds happend to be in the Series... we may be doing the same thing, watching it on the jumbotron from Fountain Sqaure! Ha... 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding was march 26 and we had a TON of sports fans there, my H included. H went to UK so the DJ played their fight song which made a lot of people happy. It really wasn't that big of a deal and I don't know of any of our guests that didn't show up because of the game. Also, most people have a TiVo or dvr and just taped tha game and watched it the next day. If I were you, I wouldn't change my date just because of basketball.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off, I am very sorry to hear about your father. My dad has also had a ton of health issues including a stoke, so I know what you are going thru.

About your wedding date - personally, I think its very silly to change your WEDDING date due to a sporting event. There will always be other things going on no matter what date you choose. You will never find a date that works for everybody, so you just choose a date that works for you and your FI, and those people who love you and support you will be there.

My suggestion is to leave the date as is and keep chugging along at your planning.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • airair44airair44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs. I am a HUGE ohio state football fan and I always joked that my friends should not get married on a football saturday because I wouldnt be able to make it.  But of course I would not miss the wedding for a football game.  The important people will care more about seeing you on your big day than a sporting event.  And for those who would miss the wedding to watch the game, that is saying something in itself.  However, I know that I am a people pleaser and try to make everyone happy so I understand not wanting the masses to be unhappy.

We ended up booking a Sunday two months after my brothers wedding because its what worked with my school schedule.  I have heard about it a little bit but it was the best thing for us and i figure the important people will be there no matter what.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs. There's no need to change your wedding date - however, it was seriously rude of your DJ to call and cancel, especially if you already had a contract! Considering that March is a slight bit outside the wedding season, I'm a little surprised that he did since I'm sure he's hurting for business at that time. Oh well, just means you'll probably have plenty of luck finding another DJ who actually wants your business.Smile

Good luck to you in the rest of your planning!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Please don't schedule your wedding around MM; such a decision is something you'll carry with you forever.  Believe me, it's not worth it.  Your dad is worth it, but not sporting events.  Stay with your plans for your own peace of mind.  As PPs have mentioned, they can TiVo the games.  Let us know how this turns out. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow girls! Thanks so much!!! I was like a bridezilla last night, tears and all and then I woke up and read these caring posts and a big sea of calm just game over me. Thanks for giving me that big slap in the face and making me breathe again and relax and see that I was just having a little meltdown. I feel better now and I agree with you all that I need to keep my date the same and just let what will happen happen. You ladies are great!!!! Thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    If anyone else has any input, I'd be more than happy to hear it! Thanks!
  • airair44airair44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you feel better! This stuff can really cause some anxiety!
    If this is the date you want then stick to your guns.  There may be some grumbling (from the male population in particular, while there are lots of female sports fans most of us recognize the importance of a wedding over sports) but I would hope most would keep the grumbling to themselves.

If you do get someone who wants to complain to your face I think saying, as sweetly as possible, that you certainly would want that person to choose the event that is more important to them and you understand that choice.  If the person really does choose to skip out on the wedding I would be rethinking that invite anyway!
  • edited December 2011
    I am a huge basketball fan as well as fiance.  But its your wedding and you should have it whenever you want.  In the big picture, its just a basketball game.  Its your wedding for gods sake.  If they can't miss a basketball game for your wedding, they aren't that close to you anyway.  On another note, May isn't that bad, just might be wet.
  • edited December 2011
    Hang in there!  Sorry to hear about the setbacks.

If you already signed a contract with your DJ, then he has to honor the commitment, basketball season or not.  If I were you, I'd ask for double the deposit to be refunded for the inconvenience.  Find a new DJ with some spare change, but have the wedding on a day that works best for you and your FI.

You have plenty of time to readjust to these setbacks.  At least the DJ didn't wait until 2012 to tell you. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely not change the date because of that.  If there is a game on that people want to see that bad the can DVR it or getupdates in their cell phone.  And as for the dj, I can't believe that, it is ridiculous!  I would definietly be demanding the entire deposit back!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dori851dori851 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs and wouldn't change the date for a basketball game either. People have DVR and can get Blackberry updates, etc. I'd say go ahead and go for the March date if that's what you really want. Afterall, it is your & your FI's day, so if you two aren't sports fans and don't care about the March Madness tournament, then who cares!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed with all PPs.... 

To add, I'd be glad you picked MARCH to have your wedding (in the non-AC venue) than MAY.  I hate being too hot at ceremonies :)  

Keep your chin up, remember you can't please everyone, and to make this day for you and your FI... nobody else. :) 
  • edited December 2011
    I admire airair44's advice.  If anyone has the gall to get up in your face about your date, I hope you use those words.  Great come-back!
  • edited December 2011
    My sister got married the weekend of a big football game and we just had the game on in a room that joined to the main room...she thought people would be in there watching it but we really just floated into the room to see the score when we needed a break from dancing...I wouldn't change your date!  It isn't that big of a deal and like everyone else said, the people who really care will just dvr it if they really want to see it that bad...
  • edited December 2011
    Keep the wedding date!! I wouldn't give up the awesome location you have to please other people.... I'm too excited about St. E's (and I know you are too!) to care if people miss a basketball game. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards