Military Brides

Visa help?!?!

Hi there, 

I don't know if this is the place to ask or if anyone will be able to help me out but I guess its worth a try...
I met my fiance while I was living in South America volunteering at a hospital and we are now trying to plan a wedding. We are having a few bumps in the road. He is in the Marines and is stationed over in Moscow right now and I am living in Canada. I am Canadian and we are trying to figure out how to go about getting all of the correct visas and what ever else needs to be done. We are having our wedding in Denver next year. 

Is there anyone out there that has a similar situation?? Does anyone know what we need to do and how we have to do it? It is just very hard to figure all of this out since both of us are living outside of the US right now.

Please help if you know where we have to start!!!!

Thanks a million!!

Re: Visa help?!?!

• SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ummm ... are you a US or Canadian citizen? Is the visa for the US or Russia?

I would say he needs to go to the Pass/ID/passport office at his base and ask them for advice in your situation.
  • benitaleabenitalea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Canadian and I will be going to the US. He will be getting out of this particular program and back into the regular marines and be stationed in the US. 
    He is actually not living on a base, he is in a program where he lives in the embassy compound so he said that there isn't anything like that there where he is.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Meeting someone while you're on MSG is fairly common. Have him ask his det. commander for advice, if he's in Moscow, that should be a fairly large detachment, so other Marines may have had experience with it below the Det Co. He probably can just ask a friend in the visa section of the embassy. 

I had a friend who met his wife on MSG duty in Central America, they even had a baby (before he was done, so they couldn't get married until he was done, obviously) and they were friendly with people in other offices at the embassy, so they just got a ton of free advice there. Your fi should be able to do the same. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • benitaleabenitalea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your response!! I will let him know and maybe we can get some answers. 
    Thanks again!! :)
  • edited December 2011

Even though he's not stationed with a Marine group, he should still have a chain of command that he answers too. Tell him to talk to them! I know when I told my chain of command that I was getting married they asked me all sorts of questions and even if my Fiance was a "foreign national", Tell your FI to maintain good contact with his Chain of Command, and they'll be really helpful!! Good Luck!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • abbiewebsterabbiewebster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

doesnt the miilitary sort all the visa stuff out for you? we had to go throught all of it month after my fi got out of themilitary and his commandin officer said we should have got married earlier and then we wouldnt have to deal with the immigration/visa issues..... (not helpful to us after he got out).....im not sure how accurate this is but has ur fi talked to on of the army lawyers or something.

• edited December 2011
    military will not sort this out.  because this is a personal issue, you'll have to take care of it yourself.  you can talk to your chain of command, but there is little they are required to do.  check out this page...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

it all depends on what you want to do.  because you being canadian, you can come into the country all you want for a period of time, but then you have to leave.  if you want, you can apply for a fiancee visa, but that doesn't make sense because you are canadian.  you can apply for a spousal visa after you are married, but you might as well take advantage of applying for green card under your husband to be's military status.  you will get priority and expedite the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards