Chit Chat

** Pele **

Saw this on facebook and thought of you...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: ** Pele **

• Does Pele have chickens??
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• edited March 2013
    Ahahahaha! A truer meme has never existed! Thanks for posting it, I think this is what my next screensaver at work will be! 

Yes Muppet I have chickens. Best hobby ever because it gives me breakfast. Every once in a while I'll post a webcam link here for people who want to watch my hatches. I have one little solo dude hatching tomorrow. If he doesn't pull a 2am debut, I can webcam him too.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• And because I love AWing my chickens:  meet Ophelia, trick or treating at our back porch door.  It's part of our flock's daily routine.  They like to tap tap tap to make sure we know they are there.

Anniversary

• Don't be offended, but I've held a grudge against chickens and roosters ever since I was a kid. My aunt used to have some on her property, and one day the rooster got loose and chased me around the yard. Finally my brother came and kicked it because I was backed against the shed and it was trying to peck at my bare feet. I'm not scared of them, we just aren't on speaking terms anymore.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pele?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d3735ea-b2f9-42c1-8ee2-f279f5fdf06bPost:22d2908a-bce4-4b38-9a4c-7c9a65996161">Re: ** Pele **</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't be offended, but I've held a grudge against chickens and roosters ever since I was a kid. My aunt used to have some on her property, and one day the rooster got loose and chased me around the yard. Finally my brother came and kicked it because I was backed against the shed and it was trying to peck at my bare feet. I'm not scared of them, we just aren't on speaking terms anymore.
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

<div>Believe it or not, but I have a similar story with a turkey tom.  Roosters are jerks.  That's why my flock is a nunnery.... or lesbian resort since they *ahem* occasionally indulge.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

Anniversary

• So this morning, we got a flyer from Tractor Supply showing chicks for like $2.99 and I told FI we should get some. We have a big property and many of our neighbors have them....although I want to kill the rooster that wakes us up at 3 or 4 am when the windows are down. I even had a random chicken visitor last fall come up in my yard.

He shot me down saying "You do know that chickens are cannibals, right?" and "I'm not going to be the one that butchers them".

Wha? Chickens for eggs not meat.

Anyway, so 1) are your chickens cannibals?  2) do you need a rooster to have eggs? and 3) How much effort is this?

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• edited March 2013
    1.) chickens can turn cannibal if you abuse the he!! outta them, not gonna lie.  But then, if you stuck 5 humans in a taxi and told them to live there for a year, they'd probably turn crazy and eat each other too.  Commercial facilities cram chickens cheek to cheek and get all "Oh wow!  They've turned mad.  How surprising!!"  *rolls eyes*. 

If you plan to allow your chickens 4 square feet of personal space (or you know, just let them run around your yard), they are all sorts of too busy chasing bugs and being happy.

2.)You do NOT need a rooster to end up with eggs.  Just like you don't need a man to have a period. (Eggs are their way of ovulating).  I personally hate roosters, since a lot of the times they make a huge nuisance of themselves, and then go harrass the hens too.

3.)Chickens are a bit of work to set up (coop is either $$, or you build it).  But once you get them going, they are similar work levels to owning cats.  Except you don't brush them, so maybe less than cats :P

Anniversary

• If you dont have a rooster, how do you get the chicks? Don't they need to be fertilized?

Do they have litter boxes?

the only thing I wonder about is the extreme cold up here. It gets WELL below 0. I might talk to the chicken folk about that around here. If I have to build a shed for them, I will prob think its a bad idea financially right now
    image   imageimage

• You can buy chicks through the mail actually :. They don't need food or water 48 hours after hathing, so it's big business to ship out babies to customers. As for cold, chickens are crazy tolerant to it. They'll stand around in snow and rain like it aint no thing. It's heat they don't like. But I put out a misting line on 100 degree days, and they have themselves a spa afternoon. If you want more info www.backyardchickens.com is a really nice community, and has a ton of resources. I love hanging out there.

Anniversary

• Lol forgot the litterbox question. No they go wherever they please. The coop in our backyard gets new bedding once a week.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards