Catholic Weddings

Talk to Me

I've missed you guys.

Besides drama, what's been going on? I've missed you girls!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Talk to Me

• Welcome back!  Not much exciting going on here, other than the house hunt continues :)  It's finally starting to warm up around here, but now all the talk of potential flooding begins...
  • What are you looking for in a house? Condo? Single family? Starter? Place to raise a family? We're still a few years away from buying. :(
  • We live in a condo now that H bought before we started dating, which we really do like, but it's only one bedroom, so in planning ahead for the future we're looking to get more space inside, as well as finally having some outdoor space.  We're looking for a single family home, definitely something we can stay in for several years, and grow into with a few kids.  We both love older/character homes, but my architect hubby is fairly picky :)
  • Sounds lovely! Not having outdoor space is our biggest complaint in our current townhouse. We know we'll be moving next year, so we can stick it out a bit longer, but it would be nice to have more space next fall/winter/spring (our outdoor season) with a crazy toddler running around!
  • We're in the (town)house hunting boat, too :-)  It's going to be a crazy month, because my husband has been job-hunting since January with no luck and we're trying to save up an extra $3,000 for the down payment between now and the end of May!

Also, my husband told me that I'm not allowed back on facebook until after my birthday... not sure what that's about!  Two more weeks won't kill me, right?  I've already lasted all of Lent...

Welcome back, biblio!  We missed you :)
  • Welcome back bibli!!

I'm a tad bit confused but maybe you guys can help me.  Yeserday, MIL brought us a washbasket that was dropped off at her church (the one we got married in and where H group up) that was FULL of brand new baby clothes, prayer cards, religious pics, a black rosary and Easter candy.  It was completely anonymous but had our names on it.  The note said they were putting the basket together and the rosary just kinda showed up in there (they didn't put it there..which is kinda cool) but that told them that the basket needed to go to us. 

I don't get what the significance of a black rosary showing up means the basket needs to go to us rather than any other expecting couple.  I looked up the significance of a black rosary which is death/loss, but we haven't experience that. 

My only guess is they confused us with SIL and her H who are also pregnant (due 4 days before us) but they experienced a loss back in May.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Or am I totally missing something?

It's not soemone we're super close to becuase they spelled our name wrong and didn't know that it's a boy (which we've known for two weeks now).  Idk! It's like a gift from above though.  People are so generous, it's so touching and humbling!
  • Newly - sounds like some kind of surprise is in the works :) 
  • Erin, I had a lot of fun buying our house once we actually moved to a market where there were a lot of good choices.  Outdoor space is DEFINITELY a must for us.  We get 5% cash back on our credit card for purchases at home improvement stores this month, so I'm planning on buying a ton of things for landscaping and weed control pretty soon.  =)

We bought a car!  Now I'm just trying to sort out issues with financing (our bank says we need to proceed one way, the dealership says we need to proceed another way) so that I can hopefully have a check when the dealer delivers the new car tomorrow.  I was pretty amused, when I started explaining to the agent what kind of car I traded in, she said, "Oh man, that's a nice car -- I wish I'd known you were trading that, I'd have bought it off you!"
    Anniversary

• Yay for the new car, Prof! And for your weed control shopping spree! Wink

Newly, ditto that it sounds like a surprise is in the works! But boo to job hunting -- that's the worst! What field is your husband in? I feel like I should know, but don't remember.
  • welcome back, Bibli!  FI and I are at <2 weeks until the wedding, so, between finishing things like favors/seating chart/program and preparing our apartment for us to start living there together after the wedding, it's a lttle hectic.  I'm excited, though, more for the marriage starting than the wedding itself (though I'm excited for that, too).

Congrats on the car, Prof!  That's on our post-wedding to-do list, since I've been without a car for about 6 months or so now, since mine died last fall.  If we weren't in San Diego, it might not be quite as tough as it is, but we're making it work. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:36047f5f-d8b3-4c1f-9a85-7100234acc38">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay for the new car, Prof! And for your weed control shopping spree! Newly, ditto that it sounds like a surprise is in the works! But boo to job hunting -- that's the worst! What field is your husband in? I feel like I should know, but don't remember.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

<div>He's in the manufacturing/mechanical engineering field at a technician level right now.  He's been working on a bachelor's in ME the last several years and has been on a break this semester to take care of some medical issues and trying to find a FT job with benefits!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:7d8e9901-d924-4287-b3b2-6e3078393b6e">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome back bibli!! I'm a tad bit confused but maybe you guys can help me.  Yeserday, MIL brought us a washbasket that was dropped off at her church (the one we got married in and where H group up) that was FULL of brand new baby clothes, prayer cards, religious pics, a black rosary and Easter candy.  It was completely anonymous but had our names on it.  The note said they were putting the basket together and the rosary just kinda showed up in there (they didn't put it there..which is kinda cool) but that told them that the basket needed to go to us.  I don't get what the significance of a black rosary showing up means the basket needs to go to us rather than any other expecting couple.  I looked up the significance of a black rosary which is death/loss, but we haven't experience that.  My only guess is they confused us with SIL and her H who are also pregnant (due 4 days before us) but they experienced a loss back in May.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Or am I totally missing something? It's not soemone we're super close to becuase they spelled our name wrong and didn't know that it's a boy (which we've known for two weeks now).  Idk! It's like a gift from above though.  People are so generous, it's so touching and humbling!
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

<div>That's such a cool gift!  I'm not sure about the black rosary... maybe they weren't thinking of the color being any significance!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:365f41ec-cc54-4b9b-8018-73495e6fa80c">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to Me : He's in the manufacturing/mechanical engineering field at a technician level right now.  He's been working on a bachelor's in ME the last several years and has been on a break this semester to take care of some medical issues and trying to find a FT job with benefits!
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm sure you guys aren't interested in relocating, but my husband's company (and really most of the oil and gas companies in Oklahoma) is BOOMING right now, and my husband's degree was mechanical engineering/mathematics.  I'd be happy to give you what limited info I have on what DH does if you PM me.</div>
    Anniversary

• edited April 2013
    Hi ladies! Just got the kitchen cleaned after Easter yesterday. It wasn't that bad though.

H and I hope to buy a house within the next year or so. Right now we are just renting. We have done a lot of looking and know what area we want and what we want in a house. We just need to save a little more for a down payment. It was one of those decisions we had to make whether to get a house before baby, but we aren't spring chickens anymore since DH will be 32 in August.

Well, DH's brother is married to a girl (SIL) that we don't particularly care for. But we tolerate her. She is a good mom to our niece I will say that. I am not trying to be un-Christian like because we welcomed her to our place yesterday, its just that she is one of those people that always has to one up everyone. She always has to be the center of attention if you know what I mean. Our niece is 14 months old and they announce yesterday at our house on Easter  that they are expecting again. I am happy for them, but its just the way she did it. Why couldn't have she of told my in-laws another day? She told my MIL to go outside on the deck and handed her some photos. Well one of them was our niece wearing a shirt that said "big sis" pointing to her belly. She is only 4-6 wks right now and hasn't seen her doctor yet.

Does anyone else think this was a little low especially on a holiday, or is it just me and the pregnancy hormones?

I just feel bad for my in-laws because their daughter (DH's sister) is getting married in September, we are due in October and they are probably due in November. What a fall for my in-laws!
  • Missy Sue,

Why do you feel bad for the inlaws? Sounds like happy news.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:9f4f2f96-5c26-47ee-b392-412d472ddf10">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Missy Sue, Why do you feel bad for the inlaws? Sounds like happy news.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTEI

Its not a that I feel bad. I guess I should re-word that. Its just that they are going to be so busy since they both still work full time.
  • Missy Sue, I totally understand how something like that can rub you the wrong way.  I guess I'd try to just let it go and be happy for them.

I do have some sad news: a girl I work with was confirmed Saturday night and apparently has been catching all kinds of hell from her Protestant family members.  Her parents have been fine with her decision, but apparently she had to spend all Sunday hearing about what a terrible decision she's made and how "cruel" she was to "force" her parents to sit through a 2.5-hour mass.  She's happy with the choice she's made and incredibly happy to be in the church, but it just sucked to hear that her own family would be so awful to her.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:fce8ca6f-86fe-47b0-93a7-9e797c594649">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Missy Sue, I totally understand how something like that can rub you the wrong way.  I guess I'd try to just let it go and be happy for them. I do have some sad news: a girl I work with was confirmed Saturday night and apparently has been catching all kinds of hell from her Protestant family members.  Her parents have been fine with her decision, but apparently she had to spend all Sunday hearing about what a terrible decision she's made and how "cruel" she was to "force" her parents to sit through a 2.5-hour mass.  She's happy with the choice she's made and incredibly happy to be in the church, but it just sucked to hear that her own family would be so awful to her.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

That is so sad. I hope she can stay strong in her faith and look up to great people like you to guide her through this tough time. I will keep her in my prayers. I just wish people weren't so critical of our faith when we worship the same God.
  • Missy as an isolated incident, I don't think announcing a new pregnancy at Easter is that bad, since it's when people are all together, etc. In my family, pregnancies are typically announced at family gatherings, whether it's Christmas or a birthday celebration, etc. However, it sounds like this rubbed you the wrong way because of the history of attention grabbing, so I can see how that could get really old really fast! Yay for the soonapproaching wedding, home buying, and pregnancies! We have a lot to be thankful here, it seems :.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:93a90d2a-d0e6-4f85-ac70-85179d83bbdd">Re:Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Missy as an isolated incident, I don't think announcing a new pregnancy at Easter is that bad, since it's when people are all together, etc. In my family, pregnancies are typically announced at family gatherings, whether it's Christmas or a birthday celebration, etc. However, it sounds like this rubbed you the wrong way because of the history of attention grabbing, so I can see how that could get really old really fast! Yay for the soonapproaching wedding, home buying, and pregnancies! We have a lot to be thankful here, it seems :.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

You are certainly right. DH and I do have a lot to be thankful for recently since just a few years ago we went through a rough time with DH being unemployed.

I think it is just SIL way of needing to be the center of attention that rubbed me the wrong way. I am happy for them and that I will be an Aunt again. Our kids will be close in age which will be fun at future family gatherings.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:93a90d2a-d0e6-4f85-ac70-85179d83bbdd">Re:Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Missy as an isolated incident, I don't think announcing a new pregnancy at Easter is that bad, since it's when people are all together, etc. In my family, pregnancies are typically announced at family gatherings, whether it's Christmas or a birthday celebration, etc. However, it sounds like this rubbed you the wrong way because of the history of attention grabbing, so I can see how that could get really old really fast! <strong>Yay for the soonapproaching wedding,</strong> home buying, and pregnancies! We have a lot to be thankful here, it seems :.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>YES.  I have been so antsy!</div>
    Anniversary

[QUOTE]Missy as an isolated incident, I don't think announcing a new pregnancy at Easter is that bad, since it's when people are all together, etc. In my family, pregnancies are typically announced at family gatherings, whether it's Christmas or a birthday celebration, etc. However, it sounds like this rubbed you the wrong way because of the history of attention grabbing, so I can see how that could get really old really fast!<strong> Yay for the soonapproaching wedding, home buying, and pregnancies! We have a lot to be thankful here, it seems</strong> :.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

This. 100%
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:eb8590f6-95e7-4356-99be-c5550550ee74">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to Me : I'm sure you guys aren't interested in relocating, but my husband's company (and really most of the oil and gas companies in Oklahoma) is BOOMING right now, and my husband's degree was mechanical engineering/mathematics.  I'd be happy to give you what limited info I have on what DH does if you PM me.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<div>Couldn't hurt to look... although it would be super tough to relocate away from our families!  Granted, my little sister is about to move to Bismarck, ND after she gets married in August, so my family will have 1/3 of us out of state!  I'll PM you and send it off to the hubby... he's been pretty down this past week about having no success with job hunting in the last 3 months. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4ac051c5-33e1-4603-b180-29556ce84867Post:2bf72bb8-df0e-4644-bb65-22d7087f8f58">Re: Talk to Me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to Me : Couldn't hurt to look... although it would be super tough to relocate away from our families!  Granted, my little sister is about to move to Bismarck, ND after she gets married in August, so my family will have 1/3 of us out of state!  I'll PM you and send it off to the hubby... he's been pretty down this past week about having no success with job hunting in the last 3 months. 
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

<div>One of the places DH applied within his company was Casper, WY, so I'm sure there are opportunities up north.  =)</div>
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards