Georgia-Savannah

Tybee Island Suggestions

I'm planning on getting married next August on Tybee Island. I believe I have most of the ceremony research done but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good venue/catering for the reception. We are expecting around 40 guests. It seems that most venues want you to do the reception and ceremony there but I'm dead set on having a beach ceremony. While looking at different catering companies it seems that there are not a lot of places that offer affordable vegetarian options. I'm vegetarian and so are a few of my guests, however I'm not looking for somewhere that serves only vegetarian meals.

I've also been thinking about renting the pier and pavillion for the reception but I'm not sure how well that would work logisitically. It's more than spacious enough but does anyone know if there is any way to keep food at the right temperatures?

Thanks!

Re: Tybee Island Suggestions

• I don't ever recommend the pier and pavillion for weddings and receptions.  Most people assume you are renting the entire thing.  You are not.  You are actually only renting about half of the pavillion.  The peir is still open for fishing and walking.  The ice cream stand, bar and hot dog stand are still open to the public, as are the restrooms.  There is only a rope separating you from beach goers who tend to stand around and gawk at the weddings and receptions.  There are also no kitchen facilities available to you.  

There are several places I would recommend.  There is a space at the old Tybee School that can be rented for $400 for the entire day.  It's a lovely space.  There are pictures of it on the City's web site.  The Old Guard House is also a great space.  It also has a great daily rate.  The Tybee Light Shrine Club is slightly more expensive, but is right on the beach and is big enough for a plan B rain location.  You have beautiful views of the water on one side and the light house on the other.  It is located in an old fort right across the street from the light house.  
    For catering, I would call the guys at Sundae Cafe.  They do an excelent job.  Creative Catering is also a good option.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

• Thank you for getting back to me! I tried to reply earlier but  was having trouble doing so. I am really glad to know about the issues at the pavilion. Its beautiful but I don't want a million onlookers. I will definitely be looking into the places you've mentioned. As far as the catering goes, we really do want to try and do our own cooking if it is at all possible in any of the venues. We are planning on a taco bar with margaritas but we need to be able to have kitchen access for food storage before the reception. Do you think any of those venues would be suitable for bringing in your own food?
  • I believe there is refrigeration at the Shrine Club, the Guard House and the Old School.  The Shrine Club requires you to use their bar tenders for any alcohol.  
  • I've narrowed it down to the Guard House or the Old School. Both of them allow you to serve alcohol with no licensing as long as you aren't selling it. I've seen picture of the Guard House but somehow haven't found any of the Old School yet. I am planning a trip down next month to take a look at the two before we make a decision though.
  • Good plan.  You really should see them both before you decide.  The city just had a photo shoot at the Old School about 3 weeks ago.  They are supposed to be adding them to the site soon, but I'm not sure when.  Ask Karen if she has coppies of those so you can see how it will look decorated.  It is really very pretty when done up.  
  • Karen Reese? I've actually been e-mailing her about the spaces. She was able to send me some nice shots of the Guard House, which I did really like. I just don't want to rule out the Old School just yet because it is a little cheaper than the Guard House. If it will work just as well then I'm definitely okay with saving some money. I am definitely a bride on a budget.
  • Yeah.  She should have new pics of the Old School.  There was just a shoot over there a few weeks ago.  I'd ask her about it.  
  • When I googled it, both Savannah Fairytale Weddings and Savannah Weddings & Events. This is one of the websites I found: http://savannahweddingsandevents.com/index.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards