Attire & Accessories Forum

Colored Petticoat with my Dress?

I love my dress! But I love this colored prtticoat trend too, and I'm not sure how my dress would look with one.

This is my dress. There is already quite a bit of fluff built into the dress, and the model is wearing a white pettiecoat, which I was planning on as well as I like this very full look. I was thinking of putting a dark blue/navy pettiecoat under the dress instead of a white one (our colors are navy with bits of yellow), meaning there would be both white and blue tulle under the dress. 

Do you think this would look odd?

Re: Colored Petticoat with my Dress?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    IMHO, the dyed crinolines are one of those fads we'll look back on in 15 years and laugh at. Like the poofy sleeves of the late 80s and early 90s.

If you want to buy one for a few bridal photo ops, I don't see why not. Wearing it for the entirety of your ceremony and reception, though, may be a bit much.
  • I like the dyed crinolines, and don't really mind things that are more trendy.

Retread's concern about the blue showing through the white rather than just under it is valid, but I think the fabric and built in layers are thick enough to prevent that.

My hesitation, (a silly one, I admit) is that that dress is on the more formal end of tea-length. It's pretty sparkly and embellished, so I would be concerned that a more casual, fun element like a dyed crinoline could clash in terms of formality level.

It has been a while since I've seen that dress in person, so it may look fine. See if you can find one from a place with a good return policy. If you wear crinolines often, I would go ahead and get one to see how it looks, and hope you could wear it some other time if you don't like the look.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think Bunni is confirming what I was thinking. I like the fromality of the dress despite its tea length, and the colored petticoat doesn't match that formality. I might buy a crinoline I would use anyway and see how I like it.

Thanks for the for the great advice everyone!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_colored-petticoat-with-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:4006b6ff-e721-4840-8280-050a5ee28d1dPost:b035c3d1-daff-4dc5-bb4f-e97176986f90">Re: Colored Petticoat with my Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]IMHO, the dyed crinolines are one of those fads we'll look back on in 15 years and laugh at. Like the poofy sleeves of the late 80s and early 90s. If you want to buy one for a few bridal photo ops, I don't see why not. Wearing it for the entirety of your ceremony and reception, though, may be a bit much.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

I agree. People are going to "cringe" that they wore colored wedding dresses...
  • I also am planning on getting a tea length dress and would like to do a colored petticoat under my dress...It goes with my personaility my fiance says and we are not planning a big wedding it will be his second and my first. So I love the idea of a splash of color under the white dress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_colored-petticoat-with-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:4006b6ff-e721-4840-8280-050a5ee28d1dPost:c79759ea-33c6-4b93-afb9-ecc6febe5a42">Re: Colored Petticoat with my Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colored Petticoat with my Dress? : I agree. People are going to "cringe" that they wore colored wedding dresses...
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

This attitude reminds me of how people talk about getting tattoos. I have had tattoos for over 20 years, and I'm almost 40.  I did not get mine as a 'child' and I do not regret them.  They are an expression of my personality, beliefs, history, and values.  Why can't a woman's (or man's) wedding dress be the same?

My wedding dress is duchess satin in a blue-grey wisteria color.  I'd 'cringe' if I did not wear a colored dress, because I personally think shades of cream, ivory, or white for a wedding dress are a contemporary, culturally imposed, limited notion of what a 'wedding dress' is, and definitely not 'me.'

Colored petticoat folks - go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards