Wedding Woes

I think there's some cart-before-horse going on here.

She should find out why she was not able to get a position in the past before sidling up to the VP to get a job. 

Dear Prudence,
I work at a nonprofit organization where one of my main responsibilities is to coordinate a foreign exchange program. My current job is OK, but it's my dream to work at a particular media organization. I've applied to a few positions and even a fellowship at this news outlet, but have had no luck. Through my current job, I've recently met (virtually) the vice president of this same media organization because I'm sending her daughter abroad through our program. In my email correspondence with the family, the VP and her husband have remarked several times that I have done a spectacular job with this project thus far and once even told me I would make a marvelous "management consultant" because of my attention to detail. How can I take advantage of this opportunity to network without compromising my current position or employer?

—Career Climber

Re: I think there's some cart-before-horse going on here.

• Agree. There is a reason they've turned her down the multi times before. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • In Response to Re:I think there's some cartbeforehorse going on here.:[QUOTE]Agree. There is a reason they've turned her down the multi times before.nbsp; Posted by CandCWedding2013[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that. This company could be huge, handling thousands of resumes each year for a small sprinkle of jobs. When volume gets that high, the resume submission process is especially cruel, savage and pretty empty headed scanning for key terms in the appropriate combinations. In short, a meatgrinder where resumes go to die. In far more than one instance, getting the job RELIES on an "in" contact and bypassing HR's triage stage.

Hell, a new employee that just got hired had her resume rejected by HR at least twice, until I passed it along to my supervisor directly and had a little chat

Not sure what the writer has actually tried, or if her network wasn't so reliable or wouldn't make the extra effort for her, but she'd be a career pansyass if she didn't figure out a way to cautiously leverage the opportunity
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • i2i with dharma. Job hunting is at least 90% networking. She'd be an idiot not to take advantage of this opportunity. 
  • team dharma!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards