November 2013 Weddings

vow renewal

Hi I hope i'm wrinting in the right place.  Myhusband and I are renewing our vows in Nov 2013 what I was wondering is if we should cancel our party.    See my sister decieded to get married Sept, 2013 and it is her first wedding.  My family feels that I am trying to take over her thunder.  That's not the case I asked my husband to marry me again before my sister even got engaged.   The other problem I have is I am surpriseing my husband with a 1920"s theme party.  He thinks we are just renewing our vows and going to dinner.  I am requesting that guests invited not bring gifts,  just help us celebrate.   It seems my sister is doing the same.  I am at a lose as what to do.  Please help.   
Thank you,

Re: vow renewal

• First off, unless you and your sister are celebrating on the same day then no one's thinder is being stolen. Your family is being silly about it, ignore them.

It's sweet that you and your husband are planning a vow renewal, just make sure that you don't have any of the wedding components: big fluffy white dress, first dance, all pre-wedding parties, etc. Have it catered, hire a DJ and host an awesome party. I think if you did try to make it like your wedding your family would get offended so as long as you avoid those faux pas then you're in the clear.
  • edited April 2013
    I actually have a 1920's theme ,   my husband loves the gangster movies so I choice to have a Speakeasie theme.  My older son and his friends are even going to raid the speakeasie at the end of the night.  I have a catering hall and  I am not doing any of the things my sister is doing.  I'm very excited about this and  don't want to have any problems. I have picked out a wedding dress that is more of a sheath like dress with a ruffled back. I borrowed my mother-in-laws wedding dress because I couldn't afford one of my own.  My dress fits my theme.   I feel I planed more a party type atmosphere.  I am having a dance contest and  a photobooth instead of a photographer.   My colors are black ,white and red. My sisters are teal and peach or orange.  

• Your themed vow renewal sounds awesome! So long as you don't try to redo your wedding then you're in the clear. I hope you have a wonderful time!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_vow-renewal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:cce59d8b-8431-4cb6-8082-cf7eadc28335Post:0b06eab5-4550-4e2a-8e9f-e5be41a34c8f">vow renewal</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Posts: 3 Hi I hope i'm wrinting in the right place.  Myhusband and I are renewing our vows in Nov 2013 what I was wondering is if we should cancel our party.    See my sister decieded to get married Sept, 2013 and it is her first wedding.  My family feels that I am trying to take over her thunder.  That's not the case I asked my husband to marry me  again  before my sister even got engaged.   The other problem I have is I am surpriseing my husband with a 1920"s theme party.  He thinks we are just renewing our vows and going to dinner.  I am requesting that guests invited not bring gifts,  just help us celebrate.   It seems my sister is doing the same.  I am at a lose as what to do.  Please help.    Thank  you,
    Posted by babynorton69[/QUOTE]

<div>First of all, I don't think you need to cancel just because your sister is getting married two months earlier.  I do however think you need maybe rethink your surprise idea.  Does your husband normally like surprises? There's a big difference between dinner with just the two of you and a whole big shebang.  It might be too much of a surprise, depending on your husband's personality.  Obviously you know him better than we do, but I just wanted to make sure you had thought about it from his perspective beforehand.  Also, it's his vow renewal too.  While a surprise might be nice, he might want to have input into the party as well. </div><div>
    </div><div>Last point: it's rude to mention gifts at all on an invitation, even to say no gifts.  Gifts aren't required for weddings and are usually never given for vow renewals, so there really isn't a need.  I would only mention it if someone asks what to get as a gift.  Then it's fine to say "no gifts please" in response.  </div>
    Anniversary
  • Thank you. I did remove no gifts from invite because I to felt it was rude. My husband loves to be the center of attention that why I decided to do a surprise. And he thinks only our brothers and sisters are coming . I really am great for all the responses . Thanks again
  • Im renewing my vows and making like a 2nd wedding. Some of my family doesnt quite get it but im not doing it for them. :)
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• I would say just make sure you're there to support your sister in her wedding. Be there and supportive of all pre wedding activities for her. The last thing she'll want to hear is you can't do something because of your upcoming vow renewal....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards