Chit Chat

Changes/Delete Post

Deleted post
Wedding Countdown Ticker
68image Invited to Our Winter Wonderland-Dooms Day Wedding
29image Made it to the party!
39 image Were Snowed in due to weather.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers http://theworldlink.com/promises/doomsday-love/article_79f1a6dc-6680-11e2-9090-001a4bcf887a.html ***ALL IN ALL WE ARE MARRIED YAY!***

Re: Changes/Delete Post

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:38506fbb-3e9d-4a12-8643-9c798ca200d7">Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]   Has anyone ever heard of a big name store "Harry Ritchie's" repossessing jewelry for being late on account payments??? Is that even possible??? I wrote a YELP! about the situation and I still am mad as hell!  Please help.
    Posted by Winterstarlips25[/QUOTE]

Why are you mad at the store? You missed your account payments. How late are you? What is the balance? What terms did you to agree to?

Reposessions don't  typically happen without some attempts to collect first
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:38506fbb-3e9d-4a12-8643-9c798ca200d7">Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]   Has anyone ever heard of a big name store "Harry Ritchie's" repossessing jewelry for being late on account payments??? Is that even possible??? I wrote a YELP! about the situation and I still am mad as hell!  Please help.

I have heard of Kay Jewelers repossessing their merchandise.  From what I understand, if you pay with their "in-house" credit card and skip out on the payments, they will try to get their ish back.  Makes sense, right? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    Most collection agencies don't really care about the customers outside situation. It sounds like you didn't pay the bill, so they want their items back. I don't see what they did wrong (other than being rude I guess). Also, when you buy something with payments (car, house, jewelry), you are basically "renting" it until you have it paid off. The person or company who is taking the payments basically owns it until you have it paid off.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:ca7eeea6-52f6-457a-a5aa-67f4a3e122f1">Re: Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am here to Yelp! about a collection Agent named Lysa. I have been buying jewelry from HR Stores specifically at the North Bend Store for almost 10 years! I have always been faithful in making my payments on time. My Fiance at the time, went into the store back in 2011 during a Summer Blow-Out Sale and put our wedding bands on my charge account. Since I was a faithful client I was eligible to take them home right away... after they came back from being sized. I chose to leave them in the vault for over a year because our wedding was more than a year out. Last year, in April I was involved in a 5 car pile up crash. I was the first car that got rear-ended causing a domino effect. I am currently waiting on being released from doctor's care before my attorney will start talking settlement. My husband, has been off work since the accident with me....he is awaiting surgery due to the wreck. His loss wage compensation ends April 10th. These last couple month's have been rough, but we were able to make an attempt at the account. After, receiving numerous letters first yellow then white; I called Ms. Lovely (NOT) Lysa back, and asked to be placed into Collection to stop that business from calling me. She said, that if no payment is received by April 24th it will be given to a Non- Harry Ritchie's Collection Agency. She then said, " Rather than ruin my credit" that I could RETURN THE MERCHANDISE to cut down my bill." MY BILL IS $2K THAT IS IT! THIS DISPUTE IS OVER $2000.  She started threatening me, saying that the judge from Small Claims court will order me to return the jewelry!  <strong>I'm sorry, I believed that when I purchased my jewelry; that the jewelry would be mine! NOT THAT I WAS RENTING MY JEWELRY</strong>.....I HAVE SOME DIAMOND EARRINGS AND A 3-PIECE MYSTIC FIRE SET...that she wants back! I WILL HOWEVER, NOT GIVE OUR WEDDING BANDS BACK.  THINK ABOUT IT!?! NEXT TIME YOU GO JEWELRY SHOPPING AT H.R. YOU MIGHT HAVE SOMEONE'S REPOSSESSED ITEMS! Frankly, I would be one MAD WOMAN to find out that the jewelry my love gave me once hung around someone else's neck or finger.  As one last attempt from Ms. Lovely (NOT) Lysa as a scare tactic, she sent me a RED notice saying RETURN THE JEWELRY BY APRIL 7TH. She has broken me down....I WILL RETURN THE JEWELRY, BUT AFTER I WRITE THIS YELP! ABOUT HARRY RITCHIE'S CRAPPY CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND LACK OF COMPASSION FOR PEOPLE'S SITUATIONS BEYOND THEIR CONTROL. Aside, from keeping up on inspections to our wedding bands to keep the protection plan current I will NOT shop there again.  THEY DEFINITELY HAVE LOST A FAITHFUL CLIENT THAT HAS BEEN DOWN ON THEIR LUCK THIS PAST YEAR!

If you purchased it ON CREDIT they have every right to take it back if you cannot pay for it. 

BTW, Im very sorry you are going through this.  I have a very close family member who was involved in a serious car accident that devastated her financially.  I can imagine how stressful this is on you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I do not see how they have wrong you. They are a business. You entered a contract with them stating that you could take the rings home, but had to make payments over time. You stopped making payments. They tried to collect on it themselves multiple times ( which is really a couresty to you since it they aren't reporting you to credit bureaus yet). You have told them that you aren't going to make payments. They offered to let you return the ring, you declined. Now they are taking the next steps.

Your financial hardships are not their problem. This would happen with a house, a car, a boat or a television. Careful what you post about them publicly, you are not helping your case and could potentially put yourself in a position for a libel suit.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:ca7eeea6-52f6-457a-a5aa-67f4a3e122f1">Re: Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am here to Yelp! about a collection Agent named Lysa. I have been buying jewelry from HR Stores specifically at the North Bend Store for almost 10 years! I have always been faithful in making my payments on time. My Fiance at the time, went into the store back in 2011 during a Summer Blow-Out Sale and put our wedding bands on my charge account. Since I was a faithful client I was eligible to take them home right away... after they came back from being sized. I chose to leave them in the vault for over a year because our wedding was more than a year out. Last year, in April I was involved in a 5 car pile up crash. I was the first car that got rear-ended causing a domino effect. I am currently waiting on being released from doctor's care before my attorney will start talking settlement. My husband, has been off work since the accident with me....he is awaiting surgery due to the wreck. His loss wage compensation ends April 10th. These last couple month's have been rough, but we were able to make an attempt at the account. After, receiving numerous letters first yellow then white; I called Ms. Lovely (NOT) Lysa back, and <strong>asked to be placed into Collection to stop that business from calling me</strong>. She said, that if no payment is received by April 24th it will be given to a Non- Harry Ritchie's Collection Agency. She then said, " Rather than ruin my credit" that I could RETURN THE MERCHANDISE to cut down my bill." MY BILL IS $2K THAT IS IT! THIS DISPUTE IS OVER $2000.  She started threatening me, saying that the judge from Small Claims court will order me to return the jewelry!  I'm sorry, <strong>I believed that when I purchased my jewelry; that the jewelry would be mine!</strong>NOT THAT I WAS RENTING MY JEWELRY.....I HAVE SOME DIAMOND EARRINGS AND A 3-PIECE MYSTIC FIRE SET...that she wants back! I WILL HOWEVER, NOT GIVE OUR WEDDING BANDS BACK.  THINK ABOUT IT!?! NEXT TIME YOU GO JEWELRY SHOPPING AT H.R. YOU MIGHT HAVE SOMEONE'S REPOSSESSED ITEMS! Frankly, I would be one MAD WOMAN to find out that the jewelry my love gave me once hung around someone else's neck or finger.  As one last attempt from Ms. Lovely (NOT) Lysa as a scare tactic, she sent me a RED notice saying RETURN THE JEWELRY BY APRIL 7TH. She has broken me down....I WILL RETURN THE JEWELRY, BUT AFTER I WRITE THIS YELP! ABOUT HARRY RITCHIE'S CRAPPY CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND LACK OF COMPASSION FOR PEOPLE'S SITUATIONS BEYOND THEIR CONTROL. Aside, from keeping up on inspections to our wedding bands to keep the protection plan current I will NOT shop there again.  THEY DEFINITELY HAVE LOST A FAITHFUL CLIENT THAT HAS BEEN DOWN ON THEIR LUCK THIS PAST YEAR!

First, I'm sorry you were in a car accident. It sounds pretty bad and hopefully everyone will be healed completely soon.

To the first bolded: Being put into collections will not make the phone calls stop. You will get more. Take it from someone who has a dead beat dad. I haven't seen him (or even lived in the same state as him) in about 16 years. I get phone calls and letters about his accounts. So good luck with that.

The second bolded: Since you are, or were, making payments the jewelry isn't yours. Once you pay it in full then it is yours. Its like car payments. You don't get your car title (making you the full owner) until you pay it in full. So no, the jewelry isn't yours while you  make payments.

Had you explained your situation to them a year ago they might have worked with you. But $2000 is a lot of money for them not to recover.

• Try to consider it from her perspective. I've known people who work in collections and they are not rude to people, but people think they are because they don't like the news they are giving.

They are constantly dealing with people about a very sensitive and embarrassing situation. They don't target you, they get a list of accounts that are well past due and their goal is to exhaust all options before sending you to a collection's agency,  a reposession company, or ultimately, their attorney and court.

They don't make up the procedure and have not invented colored paper with notices. It's the next step in a repeatedly delinquint account.

They hear sob stories all day, they don't want to take away your wedding ring, but they work for the company that is owed the money, and they have to inform you what is going to happen. No one likes the bearer of bad news. It's an unfortunate circumstance and I'm sorry that you're in this position. They are not in the wrong though.

If you have other jewerly that you can sell, perhaps you want to try selling that first so that you can catch up on your payments and avoid them taking what matters most to you.

PP is correct, it is not yours until you pay it off. One of my friends worked for Mercedes collections and handled mostly lease situations. You wouldn't believe how many people do not understand that at the end of the lease, the car is not yours.
    image   imageimage

• Good, hope it works out. You might want to take down the yelp post while they are working with you.
    image   imageimage

• Do you have any idea how credit works?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:49f65b93-1a71-4c95-8ba6-05de26e4213c">Re: Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE] One of my friends worked for Mercedes collections and handled mostly lease situations. You wouldn't believe how many people do not understand that at the end of the lease, the car is not yours.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

This completely unrelated, but you are so right about this. I remember all of my exit counseling for my student loans was, "you realize you have to pay this back, right?" I guess I'm just amazed that people don't get that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:26c24d9e-f22e-4a7a-b947-e95f752bd497">Re: Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE] Thanx for all the advice ladies, @ Staar987. I had explained my situation to the local store salesman and they understood and helped me by lowering the payments. I called the local store today and explained the red notice to them and they were going to talk to the higher ups to see what they could do.

So they were willing to work with you and lower your payments. They did this still with good faith that you would make these payments. From your previous posts, it sounds like you weren't making these payments. Were you? If you weren't, then they did absolutely nothing wrong.

I do agree with Muppet. Since they are continuing to work with you, you should take down your yelp review. It will not help your situation any since you are basically ranting about how they supposedly wronged you.

• MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:b69de085-5d73-4b5a-9709-c24248a8de85">Re: Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperately, in need of advice : This completely unrelated, but you are so right about this. I remember all of my exit counseling for my student loans was, "you realize you have to pay this back, right?" I guess I'm just amazed that people don't get that.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

I used to sell copiers. 99% of companies lease them. No one had been in my territory for a while when I started so, I go into current accounts to introduce myself ..hand try to set up a sale because their lease is up and I got yelled at by a bunch of people. One guy ripped the cord out of the giant machine (I think he didn't know his own strength) and told me to take it right then and there .... all I could say was "I don't think it'll fit in my Hyundai".
    image   imageimage

• Yeah, we can only go with what you tell us. Business are often good about working with you to collect payments because it costs them money to send you to collections. If I send an account to collections, I lose $25.00 plus a percentage they are able to collect...tiered depending on the dollar value....I think 25% in that range. If they can't collect, I give it to an attorney and then I get 50% of whatever he is able to collect, less fees.

It strongly benefits them to hold out a while...but there's a point where they know they'cauve exhausted too many resources into collecting and will just call it and send you to the next level.  I hate it when I have to do it because I lose money and because I lose an account essentially.
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:9ad23f15-73d8-4acd-aefc-ef4c7a914c34">Re: Desperately, in need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE] When I said, " I would NOT give the rings back" I meant because I have been paying on them for about 18 months now; <strong>they should be damn near paid off. I</strong> will do everything in my power to keep the wedding bands.

SHOULD be, or are?  It sounds like you don't even know how much you owe on them.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • You owe them $2,000 for your jewelry and you think you have the right to complain that they want either their jewelry or their money? Seriously? What on earth gives you the right to think you can keep jewelry that you haven't paid for and apparently don't have plans to pay any time soon?

• I agree with all of everything PPs have said. This place has done absolutely nothing wrong and seems to be doing you a whole lot of favors. When you take out a loan on something, you have to pay it. Businesses don't care about your life and payments are not optional. If companies forgave debt everytime someone was going through a hard financial time, they would go out of business. You're really not special. 

As someone who is pretty careful with money and has never taken a loan out on anything other than my car and some crazy expensive surgeries my dog needed, it drives me CRAZY when people get mad at the companies when they can't pay their bills. 
  • What's the point of the DD when we quoted the comments? eh?
    image   imageimage

• So, this is extremely confusing to me.  Why the sense of ownership about the items when you haven't even paid for them?  Sure the store let you walk out the door for them, on YOUR PROMISE that you would pay them.

Then you say "Dang, life has changed, I can't pay for them".  Any sane person would have given the items back to the true owners without fuss.

Why do you keep referring to the jewelry as yours?  Are you a princess and your country automatically gives them to you?  Did your family bequeath them to you?  Did you mine the diamonds and create them yourself?  DID YOU PAY FOR THEM???  No to all?  Then they aren't yours.

If more Americans understood the above basic concept, we wouldn't be in such a horrible economic state.  I've had coworkers with the same entitlement attitude, and it's maddening.  You don't just automatically own everything you want.  That's now how life works.  If it was, I could show up at your house and snottily inform you that it's now mine, because I'm standing in it, and I want it.  Not fair?  Stupid way to transfer ownership?  By golly, that's right!  Contracts where MONEY is exchanged is much saner!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• edited March 2013
    [QUOTE]No to all? Then they aren't yours. If more Americans understood the above basic concept, we wouldn't be in such a horrible economic state. I've had coworkers with the same entitlement attitude, and it's maddening. Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]
    Have to agree with this. I think everyone has sympathy for your terrible car accident, OP, but one of the very real dangers if buying anything on credit with collateral involved [i.e. your rings] is having the item repossessed if you do not make your payments and pay it off. Wedding bands are a very touchy subject because they have more sentimental value than, say, a car. But these ladies are correct to point HR's legal right to take back what they still technically own. Car, house, or wedding rings, the lender gets to take the property back if you default on your loan.

The entitlement of saying someone "owns" something when they still have a lien on it gets to me also. I have a car loan, and while I maintain that vehicle make no mistake that it is not mine until I finish paying it off.

I am glad it seems like you're working with your local HR store, and it seems like they are bending over backwards for you. I would also take down your Yelp review because it seems they're doing everything in their power to bring you back from the brink of losing the wedding bands.

Why did you DD?
  • Very mature Dirty Delete, OP. 

• So glad that I spent time trying to help and giving advice. /sarcasm

The DD is really rude since we all tried to help you.

• Maybe she realized she's part of the reason our economy is so messed up and felt embarrassed?

image   imageimage

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_desperately-in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a61dd9cd-902f-4eef-9d46-8977644af1e6Post:11838205-764d-48ae-8b7f-2900b27fa692">Re: Changes/Delete Post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe she realized she's part of the reason our economy is so messed up and felt embarrassed?
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

Winterstarlips should be embarrassed! My brother and SIL just buy buy buy on credit and expect the world to bale them out. Why should the store be responsible for baling you out? Sorry. Grow up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards