Connecticut

Wedding Photography

Hi Fellow Brides,

I am getting married in September in Farmington CT and am having a really hard time finding an affordable but amazing photographer.  I would like to have 6-8 hours and it does not have to include an engagement session.  I am trying to stick to the $2,000 or below price range.  Please help!!!!!

Thanks!  Katie

Re: Wedding Photography

• If you are looking for 6-8 hours, do not be deterred from photographers that seem too expensive. My brother hired an expensive photographer for almost half the cost, because he only wanted 6 hours and the photographer happened to have his date open about 6 months in advance. 

I would suggest Eric Brushett. (http://ericbrushett.net/) I know he usually charges more than $2,000, but for 6-8 hours you could probably make it work!!!

My only comment is to be careful what you find under $2,000. There are some amazing photographers that happened to be priced well, and there are some really bad photographers. A good tip is to ask to see photos from an entire wedding. Most photographers are able to put up 10-15 great pictures for a blog post. But is the entire wedding good? I ran into this when meeting with photographers.

Good luck!
  • Thanks so much! I will look into Eric.  I don't might spending a little more if it's a better package and worth the price, but some of the photographers are outrageously priced!
  • Agreed! I was looking at some people 5-6K!! That seems crazy. There are definitely talented photographers that charge less, it just takes some research. Someone recently posted on the CT board with a list of more affordable photographers. Take a look at that list as well. 

Something my fiance and I considered was personality as well. You have to like the person, because you spend most of your wedding day with him or her.

We did a TON of research, selected three photographers we liked best in our budget, met with them, and selected the one we liked the best as a person. May seem a little weird, but we wanted the fit to be right.
  • May I ask who was your final choice?
  • Eric Brushett :)

We liked Annandale Photography as well. Great personality and very talented. He is a little mor pricey, and has a more theatrical style (http://annandalephotography.com/

• We already knew who we wanted for a photographer so we didn't even look into anyone else when we were looking.  We went with Jerome Braga of Studio1923.  I do want to advise you on a few things.  None of these apply to me, but just some advice from other friends who have also been married. 

* If you aren't getting a videographer spend the extra money on the photographer.  I've been to weddings where guests snapped more pictures than the photographer and they didn't have a videographer so they got very few pictures.

* Check your timeline of when you are expected to get your pictures and get it in writing.  A friend of mine got married in Dec. 2010 and STILL doesn't have her album despite cashed checks and empty promises.  She has threatened to take the photographer to small claims court who now said she would do her album but only made 3 changes for free and after that it was $45/hour for edits. 

* Make sure your copyrights are included or that you can purchase them.  Again, a different of mine didn't have her copyrights included but a year later decided she wanted copyrights and after cashed checks it took her 6 months and lots of messages to get the copyrights.

Hope that helps!

• Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    I agree with everyone else's advice on choosing a photographer. We used King Vincent Storm and loved them! They might be a bit more than $2000 but absolutely worth it, in my opinion.
    imageAnniversary
  • <div>We also booked Eric Brushett for our May wedding. He is reasonably priced and has package or a la carte type pricing. Can't comment on work hes done for us yet but he is one of our most responsive vendors so far.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_wedding-photography-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:e777f37b-c574-4c01-914c-92ab5df8cbadPost:3a5bdad5-445b-4f93-b296-459a647c442f">Wedding Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Fellow Brides, I am getting married in September in Farmington CT and am having a really hard time finding an affordable but amazing photographer.  I would like to have 6-8 hours and it does not have to include an engagement session.  I am trying to stick to the $2,000 or below price range.  Please help!!!!! Thanks!  Katie
    Posted by katbar99[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_wedding-photography-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:e777f37b-c574-4c01-914c-92ab5df8cbadPost:5bb58d8a-2436-41cf-9648-918fcaa333d4">Re: Wedding Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with everyone else's advice on choosing a photographer.

We used King Vincent Storm and loved them! They might be a bit more than $2000 but absolutely worth it, in my opinion.
    Posted by Mona8[/QUOTE]

Ditto to KVS!!!! Loved working with them!!!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • We loved Studio1923 and Jerome!
  • Thanks everyone for all your help.  I have contacted Eric Brushett and are working out the details.  He actually has photographed a beautiful wedding at my same venue, Farmington Gardens!  Will let you all know how it works out.  Thanks again! 

P.S. He is the only photographer I found that discounted for out Sunday wedding!  Extra helpful!!
  • Check out Tim at TAB Photographic!

www.tabphotographic.com

Really fun guy, affordable prices, and we loved working with him. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love Claudia www.fabuluxephotos.com
    Let us know when you book your photographer.
  • Hi All Thanks for the suggestions. This was so helpful! We have booked Eric Brushett and are so excited! Thank you fellow brides! Katie
  • I just wanted to add that we just booked Eric and couldn't be more happier with our decision! Thanks for this post!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Check into Lindsay Vigue, we just came back from a meeting with her. She offers all day and digital proofs for under $2000. Only thing is no prints are included in that price, but she is willing to do it for you, help you, or let you DIY.
    October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards