Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.

Here's some individuals that will send responses to your wedding invitations if you send to them.

Mickey and Minnie Mouse
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

-or-

Mickey and Minnie Mouse
1675 N Buena Vista Dr
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

The Queen (But rumor has it she only replies if you are British.... )

The Secretary to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Buckingham Palace
London, England SW1A 1AA

Pope (Fill in new pope's name)
Prefettura della Casa Pontifica
00120 Citta del Vaticano, Italia

President and Mrs. Barack Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
Washington, District of Columbia 20500

I read that someone sent invitations to all the cast members of LOST and another to Dog the Bounty Hunter.... That made me giggle. It didn't say that they got anything back.

Someone got an autographed football from Jerry Rice

I want to send one to the Jim Henson Company, Dan Aykroyd, Joan Rivers and something Red Sox related.

Who'd you Invite to your Wedding?

image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.

• We invited the pres and Michelle.  We got a letter back.  They did not come, must've been busy that night.
  • Mickey Mouse- Goat an adorable post card

Invited Cinderella and Prince Charming and have yet to recive anything. =/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:957f1b23-48e4-4318-9124-13e9cb6b98ca">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We invited the pres and Michelle.  We got a letter back.  They did not come, must've been busy that night.
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

That's because he doesn't need your votes anymore. Figures.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Anastasia517Anastasia517 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    I'm most likely going to send an invitation to the Queen.  I'm a citizen of the Commonwealth, so I should we able to get a reply.

I haven't really looked at who else replies to invitations.  I have a while to figure it out though, so I'm not worried.  (Well, I'm slightly worried I'll find out everybody I like replies to them and then I'll have a hard time picking a few haha.)

And honestly, I'd rather get a reply from Obama than Harper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We could totally make this into a project and publish a book about it. There's a book about a guy who sends complaint letters with MUD to random businesses to see how they respond and publishes it.

I bet some people respond.... if we send to enough random celebrities, we'd get enough for a book. I bet Richard Hatch from s1 of Survivor wants some attention.  He could be a filler in case we don't get enough good people.
    image   imageimage

• We sent invitations to the President, Cinderella, and Mickey Mouse. Pretty standard. Still holding out hope Barack and Michelle will come and bring the kids. Or that Mickey will show up and officiate. "Hot dog, you're married!"
  • I don't get this trend of "inviting" "celebrities" to weddings.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:862f03c7-5975-41cd-a4b3-7a6b9c7950d2">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get this trend of "inviting" "celebrities" to weddings.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Eh it's a little scrapbook souvenir.
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:8d66eeba-4c5d-47df-8d8c-0bfd05bcb1ec">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good list.  I never knew about Mickey mouse sending you a post card. I am now going to invite him. If the president says he is coming to my wedding, do I need to provide food to all of his secret service or will they get their own food? ;)
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

Oh crap. Probably. I wouldn't be able to afford his motorcade. He's off the list.
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:d1043447-045a-43dd-bcc5-35ddb92af13e">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities. : Eh it's a little scrapbook souvenir.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

Eh, I guess.  I still find really weird.

Our marriage license is stamped by the Queen.  That's cool because it's real, ya know?  This invitation stuff is all fake and a bit worthless to me.  But, if other people like it, rock on.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:4e2bdc3a-7f43-4651-9621-0aaf300d1b49">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities. : Eh, I guess.  I still find really weird. Our marriage license is stamped by the Queen.  That's cool because it's real, ya know?  This invitation stuff is all fake and a bit worthless to me.  But, if other people like it, rock on.

My honeymoon is at Disney and that one's a guarantee so that'll start out my honeymoon scrapbook.

The few others I send out will simply be amusing to me if I get a response.
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:4038d29a-c16a-48b9-8c51-f7ac78a807b6">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent invitations to the President, Cinderella, and Mickey Mouse. Pretty standard. Still holding out hope Barack and Michelle will come and bring the kids. Or that Mickey will show up and officiate. "Hot dog, you're married!"
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

<div>Crap, that's the real reason the president didn't come!  We had a kid free wedding.  ;)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:cb7d01fb-c46d-4cec-aba6-2ff86c6e4ea5">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's actually rude to invite people you do not know.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Well me and Mickey are like BFFs from way back :P</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:5b309812-231b-4801-abbe-fb2836b48a28">Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]It makes me sad that my tax dollars are paying some poor person, or probably more accurately multiple poor people, whose actual job is to reply to wedding invites sent to the President so brides can get a giggle. Maybe we should look at cutting crap like that before we start bitching about our taxes being too high?
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I'm not sending one to him anyway
    image   imageimage

• I'm sending one to Mickey and Minnie now that I know I get a postcard! Mickey and I go way back - we're old friends :-D
  • I watched an show called Queen's Jubilee and it discussed how the Queen was invited and actually WENT just to be fun....so, you just never know...,..

It's all in good fun, so not sure why people get bent out of shape..It's all in good fun.

I know of someone who did it and actually got replies from a bunch of people..heck, the possibility of that during this stressful planning process of stress can at least, give people a laugh
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:3596e088-8fa2-498b-ba10-14abad3ca986">Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.: Did I say you were?

I don't understand the tone or the comment...I was just noting that I wasn't contributing to the waste you are commenting on. I wasn't being snarky.
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:70170ac0-c568-4d62-ac40-14f38ce10f88">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I watched an show called Queen's Jubilee and it discussed how the Queen was invited and actually WENT just to be fun....so, you just never know...,.. It's all in good fun, so not sure why people get bent out of shape..It's all in good fun. I know of someone who did it and actually got replies from a bunch of people..heck, the possibility of that during this stressful planning process of stress can at least, give people a laugh
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

Was that in Boston? The British Consulate does that in Quincy Market and they invite all ther Brits. I met the Consulate at an event I attended and he said some of them wear red coats and everything. It's their version of a direct joke on Americans but for funsies.
    image   imageimage

• Unless I actually knew and had some kind of relationship with the celebrity, I wouldn't invite him or her just to get a decline as a "keepsake."  It doesn't seem to me that it's worth the time and costs of inviting them.
  • If I have extra invitations that I don't use, I definitely plan on sending on to Cinderella's castle and Mickey and Minnie. I'm the Disney nerd in my family/sorority and we're going for our honeymoon, so I think it would be cute. I don't see the harm in it. As for not inviting someone you don't know, well, I'm inviting plenty of people's SO's I've never met so I'm polite, I might as well invite people I grew up with, even if they're not real, right? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lilphillips14lilphillips14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:5b309812-231b-4801-abbe-fb2836b48a28">Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]It makes me sad that my tax dollars are paying some poor person, or probably more accurately multiple poor people, whose actual job is to reply to wedding invites sent to the President so brides can get a giggle. Maybe we should look at cutting crap like that before we start bitching about our taxes being too high?

<div>I'm sure that isn't their ONLY job. Every president has had someone writing correspondence for them. Hell, every executive has someone writing things like this for them. They probably have an automated response for everything, and I'm sure whoever sends these back probably does much more than just responding to wedding invites. Besides, even if that was their only job, I'd rather them be employed than not!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FILs are BFFs with the parents of an super attractive celeb and I struggled with FI about sending an invite for a multitude of reasons but it didn't help that the spouse is also ridiculously hot. We ended up not inviting them. Only the parents. Idk, having a celeb at our wedding didn't sit well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:508a58c0-50c2-4e12-8ee7-bdb0b68bdce5">Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities. : I'm sure that isn't their ONLY job. Every president has had someone writing correspondence for them. Hell, every executive has someone writing things like this for them. They probably have an automated response for everything, and I'm sure whoever sends these back probably does much more than just responding to wedding invites. Besides, even if that was their only job, I'd rather them be employed than not!
    Posted by lilphillips14[/QUOTE]

But see... it's just some automated response.  Who cares about that?  Why do you want some automated response in your wedding album?

I guess I just like genuine notes and thoughts.  Those come from my friends and family, not the president or Mickey Mouse.  Not to mention, celebrities aren't genuine even on their best of days.

I think the dissenters in this thread are just trying to point out the wasteful and uselessness of this trend. 
  • i agree with joy above.  i get that it would be a scrapbook memento for the disney stuff, but, i personally wouldn't want it.  and it's true, most celebrities are narcissistic and/or disingenuous.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:862f03c7-5975-41cd-a4b3-7a6b9c7950d2">Re: NER: Invitation Fun - Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get this trend of "inviting" "celebrities" to weddings.

<div>
    </div><div>this  </div><div>
    </div><div>especially Mickey, Minnie and Cinderella. At least the Queen and Obama are real people  </div><div>
    </div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I honestly didn't even know this was a thing until I came on TK. I didn't invite any celebrities.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I find it interesting when people take a post intended to be lighthearted and a little silly so seriously.
    image   imageimage

• MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:3c8a49a0-faba-4067-ac1a-114b33d7c2f1">Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.: I find it interesting that when someone has a differing opinion, they are suddenly taking things too seriously. Really? I don't find Robot Chicken to be funny either, but it doesn't mean I take TV watching more "seriously" than my husband. Thinking what you think is fun is stupid and pointless does not somehow denote a lack of happiness or fun in general.

It has nothing to do about a differing opinion. I meant literally meant what I said that i find it interesting when people take my silly post seriously. It's not snark. I'm not snarky.
    image   imageimage

• I kind out doubt that tax payer dollars are going into staffing a crew of wedding invite responders. It sounds more like a duty that would be delegated to a free college intern.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-invitation-fun-inviting-celebrities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e277f8ab-8c2f-4ac4-b916-8bd6729a295cPost:dc85832e-ab16-464c-88b9-798090bcf828">Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NER: Invitation Fun Inviting Celebrities.: Hon, I have not once accused you of being snarky, though this is the second time you have insisted you aren't. You made a comment, I responded to it. That's all.

I guess I just feel defensive with you the last few days. Not sure why, I don't normally. I'll stop responding that way.
    image   imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards