Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bar question.

So I was told today that my bar would be shut down at ten. I have the space rented and a DJ paid till 11 and I would love if the party lasted that long. Now I am pretty sure that is not what I was told when I booked the place so I will be looking into it but my question is if what if it can't be changed? It is in a hotel so there is a bar right outside the ballroom and know my guests they will use it. I think some might end up just hanging out there and some may come back in. I know that's rude but I don't know what to do! The worst part is that not only is alcohol stopped being served I was told they would roll the whole bar away and water and soda would not even be available! Doesn't that sound kind of crazy?! If the ballroom is rented until 11 and they know my DJ is paid for that period how could they just stop serving my guests drinks?! I mean for the price I paid I feel like I should I should have water and soda available until the end! And as far as alcohol I am paying consumption after my package time ends so its not like the extra alcohol wouldn't be paid for! And they said they would actually take the bar away at ten! Don't you think guests will take that as a cue to leave?! I'm just frustrated! What's the least rude thing to do? Sorry if this is confusing!

Re: Bar question.

• What is the reason it's shut down at 10?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It's really odd! She just said we don't keep the bar open that long. I know I was previously told that after the paid package time the maitre d would check to see if we wanted to extend and as long as people were not out of hand it could be extended for a half hour and then that could be done again. I was totally surprised today. If people are not acting like drunk fools why couldn't it stay open? What's the difference if there is a bar inside where the wedding is or if people go to the hotel bar? It just doesn't make sense. And literally wheeling the bar away at 10 and having no beverages seems totally unacceptable and will definitely make people think they should leave, don't you guys agree? I would just think that's a given to have drinks available for the duration!
  • LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    My bar cut off an hour before. For liability purpoeses, but they still served sda, water and that sort of stuff.  You need to clarify this with your venue. 

They need to at least seve non alcohlic beverages.

ETA: spelling errors.
  • Scribe95 yes, I have heard of a half hour and although it isn't ideal it atleast makes sense. I agree, an hour is excessive! And the no water and soda is just absurd!! I will look at the contract right now!
  • Nothing specific in the contract. I am going to question and push for the alcohol because that was not what I was told but I am going to have to insist on the non alcohol beverages. I mean that is nuts! Plus I'm having snacks put out at 9:30, how can you not have drinks for people?! I'm so frustrated! And I'm so bad at confrontation! I sent her am email, hopefully it won't turn into a big deal!
  • Nothing specific in the contract. I am going to question and push for the alcohol because that was not what I was told but I am going to have to insist on the non alcohol beverages. I mean that is nuts! Plus I'm having snacks put out at 9:30, how can you not have drinks for people?! I'm so frustrated! And I'm so bad at confrontation! I sent her am email, hopefully it won't turn into a big deal!
  • I understand some places do close an hour before but I have never been to a wedding that did so I just feel like people around here would find it odd. But regardless of the alcohol, the no beverages at all is an even bigger issue.
  • I went to a wedding where the bar closed at least an hour before the DJ left. I think it had something to do with the liquor license of the venue.

They just made a last-call type of announcement, telling people that the bar would be closing soon and to get their last drinks within the next half-hour. Maybe announce last call but say the party's not over yet, or something?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards