Plus-Sized

need opinons on both gowns

so i went to this bridal consigment and they carry sample gowns in 0-30  styles that are current or a few years old you purchase off the rack 85% of the gowns are true samples with the rest being true consignment  out of all the gowns these mori lee gowns were the top 2 choices and i need some opions on the dresses 
the back of one of the dresses 

Re: need opinons on both gowns

• this is the front of the first dress i fell in love with plus its got the 
    right material for a summer evening wedding 
  • this is the second dress another mori lee a ltitle heaver on the fabric but if i took out a layer of the dress it would work both were around 475 for the dresses 
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013

The first one is very pretty !!!!!  It looks a little too small, but, that may change once you have some shapewear on.  I like the fabric a lot !

The second one is also very pretty. However, I think for a sample gown, that is going to need a lot of work because of the fit.  Probably being let out as much as possible, and maybe adding a corset back.  Adding a corset back will take away from all of the little buttons down the back.

Edited for clarity since I just saw your second dress.

• hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2013
    front of the dress i went with my mom but going back with my aunt and mom on monday for a second opinion. my only problem is a salon same disance away in another town has boney gowns coming to them on loan in june if i like one of the dresses here i will have to call them and cancell the loner dresses 
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-opinons-on-both-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:783fda6f-13d9-41c7-8425-1bc25c584ad3Post:c974bca5-e561-45c9-ba46-4c2febb666d4">Re: need opinons on both gowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first one is very pretty !!!!!  It looks a little too small, but, that may change once you have some shapewear on.  I like the fabric a lot ! The second one is also very pretty. However, I think for a sample gown, that is going to need a lot of work because of the fit.  Probably being let out as much as possible, and maybe adding a corset back.  Adding a corset back will take away from all of the little buttons down the back. Edited for clarity since I just saw your second dress.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>i am a 20/22 in street clothes and the first gown was a size 28 bridal i know bridal runs small but me going into the 28 was shocking the straps on the gown are halter straps that can be converted to cap sleeves  oi am 5'0 so the second dress would have to be cut and lifted up she was not sure if they could save all the beadwork on the dress as they had to completly alter the dress on the bottom and the seemstress was not in today.. </div><div>the only thing is my mom said it made me look wider in the front but i think once its completly fixed and finished it will look good on me when i go back monday i am going to wear some control top undies so i can really see how the gown will look on me there was a 3rd gown i tried out with cap flutter sleeves but i felt the dress was made for a older bride not someone in there early 30s </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>boney and mor liee are gowns i am set on i love the way they are designed there is a place that sells mori lee ones  that are made for you her prices start at 700 just a few hundred more than this older gowns the first was from 2010or 2011 and the second gown was fro 20009 not to outdated </div>
  • I realllly like the front of that second dress.  But, I would be really worried about the fit.  Maybe talk to a seamstress before you decide. 

Overall though, I think the first one fits you better, and is probably a better fabric for your summer wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-opinons-on-both-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:783fda6f-13d9-41c7-8425-1bc25c584ad3Post:286fe7b7-2a40-4c96-a956-d8e955de99da">Re: need opinons on both gowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: need opinons on both gowns : i am a 20/22 in street clothes and the first gown was a size 28 bridal i know bridal runs small but me going into the 28 was shocking the straps on the gown are halter straps that can be converted to cap sleeves  the only thing is my mom said it made me look wider in the front but i think once its completly fixed and finished it will look good on me when i go back monday i am going to wear some control top undies so i can really see how the gown will look on me there was a 3rd gown i tried out with cap flutter sleeves but i felt the dress was made for a older bride not someone in there early 30s 
    Posted by hyechica81[/QUOTE]

If you aren't in love with it, then I say skip it and keep looking.  I don't think it looks like a dress for an older bride, but if you feel that way in it, it's not your dress.

As a 20/22, you'll likely be in dresses that are a 20 up to a 30.  Bridal sizing is ridiculous.  I'm a 14/16 and my dress was a Mori Lee, size 20.  Try not to worry what it says on the tags. 
  • i think i confused you the 3rd dress we did not take pictures of as i did not want to.  both of the dress that i posted here are dresses i would wear. i might try on the 3rd dress again and get a picture and post it but i am not set on it. i am also wanting to go check out a few more places before i really setle on a gown. i def want to try on some newer style mori lee dresses. they did have a unforgettble by bonny in the store but it did nothing for me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-opinons-on-both-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:783fda6f-13d9-41c7-8425-1bc25c584ad3Post:0e24b88c-b828-4bd1-96be-3adb95ff8b42">Re: need opinons on both gowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think i confused you the 3rd dress we did not take pictures of as i did not want to.  both of the dress that i posted here are dresses i would wear. i might try on the 3rd dress again and get a picture and post it but i am not set on it. i am also wanting to go check out a few more places before i really setle on a gown. i def want to try on some newer style mori lee dresses. they did have a unforgettble by bonny in the store but it did nothing for me.

out of the ones you posted, I like the first one best.  But, overall, I would say, keep looking.  You don't sound like you had a "this is my dress" feeling on any of the dresses you tried on.  And you never know, this consignment shop may get some new ones in tomorrow or next month! 
  • I went on Google to look for photos of the 2009 collection to see if I could find anything I did find the first dress but it was on a regular sized person I could not find any plus sized photos I am thinking that was not part of the julietta line. After thinking about the dress some more I want to go back try it on again but I think I still need to try on some current Mori Lee gowns at another salon
  • It sounds like you're definitely set on particular designers, however if you have time to shop around and if you're interested.... don't rule out other brands or dresses. If you're a 20/22 street size then it is completely POSSIBLE to find a dress that fits you well (zips up, etc) without having to be totally re-created.

I was the opposite and had no designer or anything in mind. I actually ordered online through David's Bridal and the first dress I bought was so big.. I'm a 16/18 on top and a 22/24 on bottom. I ended up ordering the same dress a few sizes smaller and it still had to be taken in. It's a gorgeous dress, was a GREAT price, and flatters my shape well. 

I'm also having an early summer wedding (in FL) and my dress is super light weight. It's simple and not extremely fancy but it's gorgous..... so just keep your options open and don't rule out finding something that fits well and works for you! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-opinons-on-both-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:783fda6f-13d9-41c7-8425-1bc25c584ad3Post:d4eab6f8-811e-4165-8350-e0126111e621">Re: need opinons on both gowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like you're definitely set on particular designers, however if you have time to shop around and if you're interested.... don't rule out other brands or dresses. If you're a 20/22 street size then it is completely POSSIBLE to find a dress that fits you well (zips up, etc) without having to be totally re-created. I was the opposite and had no designer or anything in mind. I actually ordered online through David's Bridal and the first dress I bought was so big.. I'm a 16/18 on top and a 22/24 on bottom. I ended up ordering the same dress a few sizes smaller and it still had to be taken in. It's a gorgeous dress, was a GREAT price, and flatters my shape well.  I'm also having an early summer wedding (in FL) and my dress is super light weight. It's simple and not extremely fancy but it's gorgous..... so just keep your options open and don't rule out finding something that fits well and works for you! 
    Posted by ekmarion[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>me and my mom and aunt were suposed to go back later on today to check out the dresses again but we are holding off my mom thinks i should loose a few lbs i know i gained a lot in the past year and i felt icky trying on those dresse anyways i felt upset that even tine 24s were not fitting but i held in my emotions.. there are 2 places near me that specialize in plus one of them has the mori lee juliett line and the other place has some other designers.. then there is a place about 30 minutes from me that carries the bonny bridesmaid line but i contacted them to see if they could get some gowns on loan and they are getting 3 bonny dresses to try on. </div><div>
    </div><div>my mom has offered to pay for the dress and i know shes wants it to be up to 1500 but as inexpensive as possible i did try on a dress at davids i sorta liked it but i am not sure.. i also felt rushed there.....  the bony dresses the salon is getting on loan start at 1100.</div><div>davids bridal dresses 90% run true to street size </div><div>
    </div><div>my other issue is i have to cover up my arms if they have to make a sleeve or something on the dress the cost goes up bonny had some dresses wth sleeves already. i have seen boleros online that some of the bridal designers make as well so that could be an option </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-opinons-on-both-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:783fda6f-13d9-41c7-8425-1bc25c584ad3Post:7eb42973-832b-4e07-a9d7-a1581f4fa9a2">Re: need opinons on both gowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: need opinons on both gowns : me and my mom and aunt were suposed to go back later on today to check out the dresses again but we are holding off <strong>my mom thinks i should loose a few lbs i know i gained a lot in the past year and i felt icky trying on those dresse anyways i felt upset that even tine 24s were not fitting but i held in my emotions.</strong>.

<font color="#993300">A <strong>few pounds isn't going to make that much of a difference. Maybe 30-60 pounds, but 10-15 isn't going to likely change your size much.   As far as waiting, if your profile is correct, you do have some time to wait.  For a June wedding, I would order the dress no later than November of this year.  (If you are thinking about Maggie Sottero, I would push it up to September).   If you want to wait until then to see if you lose any weight, that's not a bad ideal. 
    </strong></font>
    <font color="#993300"><strong>You also really need to try to get over the # on the label.  A 24 is irrelevant.   You will be an 18 in some designers and a 28 in others.  And actually, you might be a 24 in one dress and a 28 in another dress by the SAME designer.  It depends on the cut of the dress.  So, you have to try to leave your wounded ego at home.  The size # on the label doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is if you like the dress and if it flatters you.</strong>
    </font>

there are 2 places near me that specialize in plus one of them has the mori lee juliett line and the other place has some other designers.. then there is a place about 30 minutes from me that carries the bonny bridesmaid line but i contacted them to see if they could get some gowns on loan and they are getting 3 bonny dresses to try on.  my mom has offered to pay for the dress and i know shes wants it to be up to 1500 but as inexpensive as possible i did try on a dress at davids i sorta liked it but i am not sure.. i also felt rushed there.....  the bony dresses the salon is getting on loan start at 1100. <strong>davids bridal dresses 90% run true to street size  </strong>

<strong><font color="#993300">This is actually not always true. I am a street size 16. I tried on a couple of dresses at DB that were 16s and they fit, and a few others that were a 20 and I couldn't even get them zipped/closed.   Like I said above, it all depends on the style/cut of the dress. Pick the dress that FITS you, not the one that has a lower number on the label.
    </font></strong>
    my other issue is i have to cover up my arms if they have to make a sleeve or something on the dress the cost goes up bonny had some dresses wth sleeves already. i have seen boleros online that some of the bridal designers make as well so that could be an option 

<font color="#993300"><strong>I think you should take a deep breath and go try on some more gowns.  Try different salons, try different styles.  Try on anything that is even remotely close to your size.  You need to get a better feel for which dresses you love.  You might even want to take a month or two off from looking, so you can regroup and focus on other things and see if you lose any of the weight. But, try not to stress.  Stress makes it harder to lose weight and can backfire.

Good luck!
    </strong>
    </font>
  • What PPs has said is so true.  My street size is usually a 12/14; my gown is a 20.  I didn't care when the consultant told me (mine's an Alfred Angelo).  "Whatever.  It makes me look BEAUTIFUL."

So far, you don't sound like you've put on "The One".  There's something about each you want to fix or alter or change, and not in a minor little way. 

I spent hours prowling online until I stumbled across mine, and I just knew it.  I also just so happened to be lucky enough that when I put it on, it looked good on me.  Mine is a partial zip/corset back, which I like.

Also, if your mom is willing to spend up to $1500, what about looking in to having a gown custom made for you?  Perhaps talk to a seamstress who can take what you like from "this" gown and from "that" gown and make you something beautiful and unique and WITHOUT a tag with a number in it?  :)

Good luck!!
  • thanks for all the reposnses i will be tryong on gowns at  3 places and making a descision all three places are regular bridal shops with amazing reviews and specialize in plus 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards