Christian Weddings

Monday

Hey everyone! I hope you had a good weekend. :)

You know what Monday means: unpop ops!

This week: fashion trends.

Re: Monday

• lyndsay782lyndsay782 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Edited:Just saw that this is on Fashion trends....

Mine involves people that seem to think that it's ok to dress like the main character on Girls.  I hate her clothing style, and hate that some people I work with seem to think it's cool not to match, and to wear things that purposely fit terribly.  And then they think they are cool for pulling it off.  YOU ARENT PULLING IT OFF! It doesn't look "good" on anyone. 

Same girl wears weird colored lipstick (like a shade known as "doo doo brown" or that wierd matte pink color).  Hate those too. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with elbecko about ombre hair.  I also don't get the random streaks of bright colors that some people have.  I don't see them often, just occassionally at the mall or something.

I also agree with elbecko on the leggings thing.  I see it at school all the time.  I can see wearing them to exercise in if it's too cold to wear shorts, but then you'd still need to wear a long shirt over it.  And I'd imagine they'd be great lounge pants, but keep it in the dorm, ladies, along with the rest of the PJs.

I was at a local version of Applebee's on Saturday night and saw some teens out for prom.  When did prom dresses get so short AND so skimpy on top AND low in the back?

I've never seen Girls, is it good, other than the fashion?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Leggings as pants.  Put some pants on girls.  

Uggs as out of the house wear.  I never understood this.  My grandparents wear Uggs- inside their house- so I don't understand why people wear them outside. 

Tiny shorts.  I don't understand this.  They only look good on a handful of girls and poor me with my thunder thighs is hard pressed to find anything suitable when shopping. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• I stopped watching, when I came to the Lord, because it's values are less than Christian friendly.  I stopped watching most of HBO's shows for that same reason.  Just a personal choice, but the fashion was just something I never got. 

It's a lot of those short shorts, leggings, and things that were generally unflattering.  A lot of things that were ill fitting, and mismatched.  

@Raven ray actually named off a few "requirements" of that wardrobe, in her post.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_monday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:55dce7d6-135a-475f-a57d-0843d6044ec4Post:e12f0899-e4e7-4078-9d66-04ac98168be2">Re: Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Now prom dresses look more like cocktail wear.  And, yes, I know I sound like a wrinkly old curmudgeon. 
    Posted by elBecko[/QUOTE]

<div>If you are, I guess I am too... I've seen some of the prom pics, and it's like "YOUR MOTHER LET YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE IN THAT!"</div><div>
    </div><div>Its like Fabric is your friend people!  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Elbecko- You made me laugh.  I have seen that before too.  I am always so confused.  Or shorts with leggings with Uggs... WHY? Just Why? 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Ash61612Ash61612 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    I love wearing leggings as pants Embarassed granted I make sure the shirt/sweather/dress covers my butt

I also don't understand the short short trend

I hate the neon color crave in fashion right now
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I concur with: leggings as pants, Uggs, tiny shorts, and pretty much everything listed above.

I'll add: jeggings (fa real yo, just no), wearing winter shoes with spring clothing (it just confuses me), runway clothes that no one would ever wear in real life (I just don't get it)
    Anniversary
  • ok, I'm guilty of wearing ugg-like boots out of the house.  FIL got them for me for Christmas one year.  Everyone was surprised I like them.  But they're soooo warm, and I'm always cold.  By out of the house I mean taking the dog out, grocery store, or a friend's place.  oh, once I wore them to a bar for trivia night - that was a little weird.  However, I don't wear them with shorts - I don't get tat trend.  Though I AM guilty of wearing some short shorts occassionally.

I have a couple of pairs labeled "jeggings" but I don't see how they're different from regular skinny jeans.  The still have pockets and a zipper, so to me they're still jeans.  One pairs is a little more stretchy than my other skinny jeans, but that's really the only difference.  I really think it depends on the brand (basically, don't get leggings painted to look like denim).

I don't understand why designers would make things for the runway that people wouldn't/couldn't wear in real like either. That's a good one!
  • Guilty of leggings as pants trend. But - I have only done it a few times. Once was to WalMart. And... come on, it's WalMart. The other times have been when I've been traveling through airports. MUCH easier than having to worry about emptying my pockets or taking off a belt.

Ombre hair drives me nuts. I don't understand.

Also, fake glasses. I've seen some that don't even have lenses in them! When did it become "cool" to have glasses??

And I agree with the prom dresses... but it's aaaaaaaalll dance dresses. What's the deal with the cut outs and the see through fabric and the slits up to your belly button?? I almost wore a short prom dress - but it was poofy. I was reaaaaally glad that I didn't when I got to prom after seeing aaaaall of the short dresses.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_monday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:55dce7d6-135a-475f-a57d-0843d6044ec4Post:b8f7da53-4ca5-49b4-bd04-589d4ee93312">Re: Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guilty of leggings as pants trend. But - I have only done it a few times. Once was to WalMart. And... come on, it's WalMart. The other times have been when I've been traveling through airports. MUCH easier than having to worry about emptying my pockets or taking off a belt. Ombre hair drives me nuts. I don't understand. <strong>Also, fake glasses. I've seen some that don't even have lenses in them! When did it become "cool" to have glasses??</strong> And I agree with the prom dresses... but it's aaaaaaaalll dance dresses. What's the deal with the cut outs and the see through fabric and the slits up to your belly button?? I almost wore a short prom dress - but it was poofy. I was reaaaaally glad that I didn't when I got to prom after seeing aaaaall of the short dresses.
    Posted by lplions[/QUOTE]
    One word for the bolded part: Hispters.  

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_monday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:55dce7d6-135a-475f-a57d-0843d6044ec4Post:b8f7da53-4ca5-49b4-bd04-589d4ee93312">Re: Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guilty of leggings as pants trend. But - I have only done it a few times. Once was to WalMart. And... <strong>come on, it's WalMart</strong>. The other times have been when I've been traveling through airports.<strong> MUCH easier than having to worry about emptying my pockets or taking off a belt</strong>. Ombre hair drives me nuts. I don't understand. Also, fake glasses. I've seen some that don't even have lenses in them! When did it become "cool" to have glasses?? And I agree with the prom dresses... but it's aaaaaaaalll dance dresses. What's the deal with the cut outs and the see through fabric and the slits up to your belly button?? I almost wore a short prom dress - but it was poofy. I was reaaaaally glad that I didn't when I got to prom after seeing aaaaall of the short dresses.
    Posted by lplions[/QUOTE]

I have to admit that these are good arguments.

You're right that it's not just prom dresses.  I just said prom because that's what season it is right now.  Short and poofy would be fine if it weren't also showing a lot on top and backless.  Pick ONE, people. Senior year I wore a dress with an open back (down to my mid-back, not all the way down to my rump) that laced up, but it was long and wasn't low cut in the front.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards