March 2014 Weddings

Dress shopping oh dress shopping.

Hey everyone! I have my first dress appointment tonight. I was peer pressured into it as I really don't want to get my dress until Septemberish. My fear is that I buy a dress and end up with dress regret and in a years time I don't like it anymore. Wish me luck!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress shopping oh dress shopping.

• I'm going dress shopping next week.  You don't have to buy anything tonight, but it's good to start figuring out what you like and don't like.  Something could look great in your mind and not so great in real life.  Better shop early, then last minute panic shopping :)

GOOD LUCK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I understand I don't want to buy my dress until August-September either. Plus I am trying to shed some punds before I pick my final dress. But I think you should try on a few. I plan on trying on dresses starting next month.
  • Well I went and I did. I learned alot, first strapless wedding dresses are way better then I thought. I have trouble with strapless sun dresses because my chest is big, this is not the case with the wedding dresses.

I found one I really liked, it was on sale too for $299 which is ridiculously cheap! It was beautiful but I hated the train. Do you guys think there's an AH HA moment when you know for sure?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2014-weddings_dress-shopping-oh-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:179b8bb8-7e19-4a31-9506-cc60c908fe65Discussion:50509eab-0056-411a-a788-2692462c36e5Post:8ce5bfd0-8901-4f1e-8d33-7c3b5a0e88a1">Re: Dress shopping oh dress shopping.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I went and I did. I learned alot, first strapless wedding dresses are way better then I thought. I have trouble with strapless sun dresses because my chest is big, this is not the case with the wedding dresses. I found one I really liked, it was on sale too for $299 which is ridiculously cheap! It was beautiful but I hated the train. Do you guys think there's an AH HA moment when you know for sure?
    Posted by LisaA2014[/QUOTE]

Hi, Lisa!  If that dress is still there you still might want to consider it, because you know - a good seamstress could perhaps alter the train and make it the way you want, and for that kind of money, you would (maybe?) have the budget to afford such alterations.  Depends I guess on how the train was undesirable, and just want kind of work would be needed.

Good luck!!!
  • I went dress shopping already...I had a moment where I was like I love this dress but I never thought I wanted this type....then the next dress ....I had omg that moment.....I had chills....smile sooo big and tears....I have to say ...you do feel different in THE ONE....good luck hunting...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lisa- How goes the dress shopping?  I absolutely think there is a AH HA moment! :-)
    I fell in love with the 4th dress I tried on. My stress now is that they want my first fitting to be in July! eeeek their logic is so that I can have my bridal portraits in sept/oct before it gets too cold. 

Have fun with the dress shopping. My advice - Hit up some of the dress shops that serve champagne and do private appointments. Made me feel like a princess to have a glass and the store to myself mostly. :-) Kept things calmer aswell
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2014-weddings_dress-shopping-oh-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:179b8bb8-7e19-4a31-9506-cc60c908fe65Discussion:50509eab-0056-411a-a788-2692462c36e5Post:296bad70-f602-406c-9bfc-482e8e171fa3">Re: Dress shopping oh dress shopping.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lisa- How goes the dress shopping?  I absolutely think there is a AH HA moment! :-) I fell in love with the 4th dress I tried on. My stress now is that they want my first fitting to be in July! eeeek their logic is so that I can have my bridal portraits in sept/oct before it gets too cold.  Have fun with the dress shopping. My advice - Hit up some of the dress shops that serve champagne and do private appointments. Made me feel like a princess to have a glass and the store to myself mostly. :-) Kept things calmer aswell
    Posted by Siobhan112[/QUOTE]

I haven't gone again since that one appointment. I'm not ready yet, I'm sticking to my plan for September. Laying low for now haha :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi!

I agree you want to shop to see how they look on you. I fell in love with keyhole back dresses on pinterest and turns out that style doesnt look so hot on me :( But I did find some that did look really good. And its motivation to really get in great shape so you can get into that perfect one! I know the sales ladies can put on high pressure because they want that commission but I definitely think it's worth it to shop around and try plenty on. I've just been telling them when I make the appointment that I'm in the look and see stage and if I don't get the princess treatment that's fine it will come later.

Also, if the store allows I would take pictures. A dress may look good in the mirror but not so much in pictures. I'm so glad I did this because I fell in love with a $4000 dress and got home and it didn't translate. Think I'm going with one that costs 1/4 th that price that did look great in pictures.
  • Craziness. You're so smart in waiting! 

Dress shopping is the first thing I did. I didn't even have a venue yet. And I've got to say, I double think this dress ALL THE TIME. Especially while watching those bridal shows on Friday night. My dress is a traditional ball gown, something that doesn't seem to be super popular right now. And it's got several layers of GLITTER TULLE (which is why I ended up buying it). 

yes, that's right. I bougth my dress already. Actually, I bought it in September. It's in my closet at my parents' house right now. When I start freaking out about the fact that the dress is nothing like what all the other girls are wearing, I turn my phone on and look at the picture of me in it. Then I think of the glitter and I kinda forget that it's not showing off the goods as much.

Is anyone else second thinking their dress choice?
  • Absolutely not second guessing my dress.  Then again, I designed this dress many years ago and it took me 6 years to find it....which basically involved me reconciling that nobody had this dress, and I had to have it made.  Then I spent a year searching for an affordable based-in-the-US seamstress, and so....no...not second guessing.  Anticipating! (will be finished probably sometime around August, possibly sooner)

Here is my design...

this fabric...it's duchess satin

this train...

sleeves similar to these but with longer lace in the back (a tapered effect), in an ivory-ecru color, and with lace also around the edge of the ruffles:

and this neckline, waist and skirt:

• Mir4UAMir4UA member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I fell in love with Haylie Paige's Harper dress with the swiss dot fabric. I really love polka dots. A local store ordered it and it looked terrible on my body style. I ended up trying on Haylir Paige's Nina, but it was way over budget! I loved the style even though I didn't think I would. I found an Anne Barge dress on the Vow's web site and ordered it. Fingers crossed, they have an excellent return policy. I'm afraid it may be a bit small, but we'll see. It was half of my budget and less than a third of what the dress originally cost!

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• I can relate to a few of you ladies. I went to try on dresses "just for fun" in May just to figure out what I'd like and would look good in. I had no plans to buy the dress so soon and had big plans to wait until I shed some lbs. Well, after a few dresses, I tried on the one that made me have that "WOW"  moment. I cried too lol. I didn't even expect it from myself! So I slept on it and came back 3 days later and ordered the dress. The store I purchased it at re-assured me that I made a good decision because dresses can take so many months to come in. Then I sort of second guessed my choice after watching all those say yes to the dress shows. 2 weeks after I purchased my dress, I got a call from the store saying that it just arrived and I need to come try it on. EEK!!! I was not mentally prepared for it so soon. However, when I went to try it on, I feel in love with it all over again and now I'm not second guessing it anymore. I can't wait to wear it come my wedding day! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards