Chit Chat

Puppy puberty?

I can't believe I'm asking this but someone has to know what's going on lol.

I have a 15 month old cavalier King Charles spaniel (Quigley) who is not neutered. He has been the perfect dog since we got him in December but it seems like this week he got a huge influx of testosterone!

Yesterday he inhaled his food whereas he usually picks at it all night. After that he chased the cat around the house all night trying to hump him. At night he was restless and would not sleep.

Today same thing. Inhaled his food and is not taking running fits around the house! I give him plenty of exercise outdoors but maybe not enough?

I've googled this subject all day to no avail so I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue with their fur baby.

Thanks in advance!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
image 36 Yes
image 2 No
image 21 Unknown

Re: Puppy puberty?

• It is an influx in testosterone where the behavioral change is concerned.... but also dogs do not reach their full personality until the are between 11.5 yrs old. I see this a lot with the animals at my work. After s/n they go back to "normal".
  • Why not neutered?
  • Male unaltered dogs turn frustrated sexual energy towards a few things: food, excersize, and aggression. If you are keeping him intact, and not allowing him to breed, you need to increase his excersize quite a bit. You do not want his only remaining outlet to be aggression. Because of his breed, it would be unlikely targeted at you, but rather other animals, children, things more his size.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_puppy-puberty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b85cbbda-a793-4590-9882-b29b4b50f36ePost:e54562dd-f11c-45ed-b11c-66c10e320b4d">Re: Puppy puberty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why not neutered?
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

I'm currently in a breeding contract with the breeder I purchased him from. It expires in December so I already have his surgery scheduled. I might call the breeder though and express my concerns and see if we can terminate the contract since both of her females just had litters with other studs and she won't breed them again for another year or more.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_puppy-puberty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b85cbbda-a793-4590-9882-b29b4b50f36ePost:62a9f2ba-a639-406a-a52d-0ed9e541687e">Re: Puppy puberty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Puppy puberty? : I'm currently in a breeding contract with the breeder I purchased him from. It expires in December so I already have his surgery scheduled. I might call the breeder though and express my concerns and see if we can terminate the contract since both of her females just had litters with other studs and she won't breed them again for another year or more.
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]
    Have you brought up the issue with the breeder? What's the parents personality like? Did they act the same way? If so, how long did the hyperactivity last?

My dog began acting super crazy at about 8 months, I mentioned it to the vet and he said he just needed more exercise so we started doing longer walks / runs which helped a little but the breeder is who fixed the issue for us by recommending a raw diet which we started immediately.

Neutering might be the solution though. If he's mostly indoors; "spraying" gets annoying. (when a male dog pees on EVERYTHING)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_puppy-puberty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b85cbbda-a793-4590-9882-b29b4b50f36ePost:964db8d1-8d7b-4649-9da4-33451ee1b8d1">Re: Puppy puberty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Puppy puberty? : Have you brought up the issue with the breeder? What's the parents personality like? Did they act the same way? If so, how long did the hyperactivity last? My dog began acting super crazy at about 8 months, I mentioned it to the vet and he said he just needed more exercise so we started doing longer walks / runs which helped a little but the breeder is who fixed the issue for us by recommending a raw diet which we started immediately. Neutering might be the solution though. If he's mostly indoors; "spraying" gets annoying. (when a male dog pees on EVERYTHING)
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

Oh good point I will ask the breeder that as well.

Thankfully he's not spraying in the house just outside.

He must've known I was asking for advice because he's on my lap now snoring!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_puppy-puberty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b85cbbda-a793-4590-9882-b29b4b50f36ePost:dde2b5ea-b508-4534-b9c1-b864e54d816e">Re:Puppy puberty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is an influx in testosterone where the behavioral change is concerned.... but also dogs do not reach their full personality until the are between 11.5 yrs old. I see this a lot with the animals at my work. After s/n they go back to "normal".
    Posted by Atlossforwords[/QUOTE]

Male dogs reach maturity anywhere between 13-24 months old. Not sure where you heard 11 1/2 years.

Once males reach their maturity, or start to build up the testosterone, their personalities will change and will become more aggressive (sexual or otherwise). You should talk to the breeder and let her know it's time for him to be neutered. You do not plan on breeding him, so there's no reason they should force you to keep him intact.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards