Wedding Party

Opinions on gift cards as WP gifts

I have 3 BMs.  With two of them, I know what I'm going to get them as a gift for being in my wedding.

The third is a bit trickier.  She lives in the UK, but will be travelling to Canada for the wedding.  After the wedding, she will be returning to the UK for about 3 months before moving to the US, possibly permanently.

As a result, I'm hesitant to get her a physical gift.  I don't want it to be something else to lug from place to place until she's settled.  I was thinking of getting her an REI gift card, as she's really outdoorsy.  She would be able to use it once she's settled in Wisconsin.  Is it poor form to get her something that she won't be able to use for months after the wedding?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Opinions on gift cards as WP gifts

• I think gift cards are just fine. I love gift cards. I would prefer a gift card to a store my friend knows I like than oh I don't know, a gift bag with dollar store make up or a button down shirt with my intials/"bridesmaid" on it. That's just me though. My girlfriends obviously did not agree. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Is this a place she can buy from online and have it shipped to the UK? (I am unfamiiar with the company). I think gift cards are a great gift for anyone, especially if it's to a store they will love. I think it might be best to get a gift card to a store that also has an online website where she could get things shipped to her overseas in case she wants to use it immediately.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Gift cards are awesome. I think this is a great idea, but you might want to make sure there's an REI near where she's moving in Wisconsin. They aren't everywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My first thought was "no." But I think you're right on.

Anniversary

• libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_opinions-on-gift-cards-as-wp-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:24c18619-c189-4ee3-8f17-f8df63208de4Post:55a35920-421e-4464-b662-6a52bfbd0658">Re: Opinions on gift cards as WP gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gift cards are awesome. I think this is a great idea, but you might want to make sure there's an REI near where she's moving in Wisconsin. They aren't everywhere.
    Posted by efmcc67[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.  I live in Wisconsin, and the closest REI is still 2 hours away.  I believe there are only two locations in the entire state (Madison and Milwaukee area).  Just something to consider.</div>
  • I think its awesome that you are thinking of things that she would really want & can use! Maybe consider getting her a gift card for somewhere she can use anywhere she is at. Maybe an Amazon gift card? They have tons of outdoorsy stuff & she can use it whenever she wants and get it shipped to where ever she is at that time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you all for your insights and opinions.   I'm glad to see that a gift card wouldn't be totally inappropriate.  My friend is moving to Milwaukee to teach at the university there, so there is an REI close by.
    I guess that the alternative would be to get her a card to the equivalent here in Canada, but then that would negate the reason for getting her a card vs. tangible gift.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think any gift would be appreciated. Youre taking the time out to thank her for being your bm and Im sure she would appreciate anything. I agree that a giftcard is a great idea :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards