Georgia-Savannah

Need help with tipping

Our wedding is being done as a package so I don't know the cost of each individual vendor.  I tried to ask the coordinator, but all he told me was to tip 20%. I don't know 20% of WHAT????  Anyone have any recommendations for a dollar amount to tip the following people:

officiant (who is not part of any church that I know of)
violinist (playing 4 songs at our ceremony)
airbrush makeup artist coming to my hotel room
hairstylist coming to my hotel room (just for me, not doing anyone else's hair)
trolley driver (taking our guests on a 1 hour narrated tour while we get pics taken)
carriage driver (taking me from the hotel to the ceremony)
carriage driver (may or may not be the same person, taking us after the ceremony for a 30 minute ride, then back to our hotel)
florist, whom I probably won't see
coordinator (who, honestly, has been AWFUL and deserves nothing in my opinion)
the coordinator will probably have assistants the day of the ceremony but I don't know how many or what they'll be doing.
baker, whom I won't see but our design is really complicated and if she pulls it off she totally deserves something extra.

The woman at the hotel who arranged our room block has acted more like a coordinator and has been more than helpful.  She has gone WAY beyond her duties of just setting up the room block for us by giving recommendations, sending us maps of the area, telling us who to contact for marriage licenses, etc.  I got her a small box of locally made chocolates with the Chicago skyline on the box and will write her a nice thank you card.  Is that enough or should I also give her a monetary tip?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Need help with tipping

• officiant (who is not part of any church that I know of) - Typicall officiant fee is $200 down town. 
    violinist (playing 4 songs at our ceremony)- Average fee is $150-200/hour
    airbrush makeup artist coming to my hotel room- tip for hair and makeup stylists is usually around $20
    hairstylist coming to my hotel room (just for me, not doing anyone else's hair)
    trolley driver (taking our guests on a 1 hour narrated tour while we get pics taken)
    carriage driver (taking me from the hotel to the ceremony)
    carriage driver (may or may not be the same person, taking us after the ceremony for a 30 minute ride, then back to our hotel)
    florist, whom I probably won't see
    coordinator (who, honestly, has been AWFUL and deserves nothing in my opinion)
    the coordinator will probably have assistants the day of the ceremony but I don't know how many or what they'll be doing.
    baker, whom I won't see but our design is really complicated and if she pulls it off she totally deserves something extra.

The woman at the hotel who arranged our room block has acted more like a coordinator and has been more than helpful.  She has gone WAY beyond her duties of just setting up the room block for us by giving recommendations, sending us maps of the area, telling us who to contact for marriage licenses, etc.  I got her a small box of locally made chocolates with the Chicago skyline on the box and will write her a nice thank you card.  Is that enough or should I also give her a monetary tip?

Honestly, I haven't seen too many people tip vendors very often. If your coordinator has been awful, I wouldn't give him a tip.  The other people on your list, I would tip as you see fit.   If you don't meet the baker or florist, I'd send them a nice note later.  Tips are nice, but it honestly makes us feel so much more appreciated when some one takes the time to write a nice note or even a nice review online.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the help so far!  I definitely plan on giving good reviews to those who earn them.  Here in Chicago, it is customary (and pretty much expected) to tip everyone and their mother who has anything to do with your big day but I know prices up here are MUCH higher than they are down there.  (For example, what we're paying at Vic's for our reception would easily be 6 times as much up here.  The few people we've told about the cost think we're lying about how low the prices are.  lol)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is fairly inexpensive here, especially when you consider the cost in big cities.  We have several decent venues here you can rent for $400 for the entire day!  That's insanely cheap for a room rental. That particular place is beautiful when decor is added. 
    Anyway,  I hope your day is beautiful.  Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you have between now and then.  
  • Do you mind sharing who your coordinator is? I'm looking for one and would love to know who to avoid!
  • Apparently, all my reviews that even HINT at a vendor who is less than amazing are being deleted so I will send you a private message, hchowel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not sure who is moderating.  They've never done that before.  However, I think it's a bit funky since the photographer bashing is still posted on the page.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards