Catholic Weddings

Need to Vent

I know I'm mostly a lurker, but I really need to vent and I know a lot of you are looking to buy houses, so you'll understand how frustrating this is.

FI is looking to buy a house and between our budget and the available neighborhoods, there are not a lot of options. We found THE HOUSE. It was perfect, but someone out bid us, likely for the sake of tearing it down. That was hard, but then we found another house that is nice. Not perfect, needs some work, slightly overpriced, but it has a lot of potential. We decided last week to buy it. We didn't think it would be an issue as it had been on the market for a long time and there were no signs that other people were looking at it, but our real estate agent warned us the people in charge of the house are hard to deal with.

So, first they pretended that other people were making offers when they weren't, which just put a bad taste in our mouths. Then they said they wouldn't turn the utilities on for an appraisal (it's a foreclosure that has been unoccupied for months). FI's bank wasn't okay with that, but their response was that the utilities wouldn't even be turned on for an inspection. Which doesn't even make sense. So they (the bank/government/whoever owns the house) dropped the sale. Now FI is trying to complain to higher ups to figure out what is going on, why they refuse to even talk to him, and maybe be allowed to buy the house when the higher ups learn that the people FI was dealing with won't even talk to him, let alone be reasonable about letting him by the house. But no one has called him back yet.

It's just so obnoixious. You'd think the government would want to get rid of a house that has been foreclosed on for 4 months. But they have been doing everything in their power to make the process difficult and make it impossible for FI to even to buy it (won't cooperate with his bank, won't counter offers, etc). Bleh.

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry it's so long.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need to Vent

• I'm so sorry! I know from personal experience how tough it is to deal with foreclosed properties. There is so much nonsense to get through in order to make any progress. See if you can find out any contact information for the bank... and keep calling different people until you can speak to someone that will help. Persistence is what wins in the end with these things.

Feel free to vent anytime! I pray that you guys will find the right place soon!
  • Thanks so much! FI is losing hope, but he's not going to give up until he gets an answer. He knows from his work that it's the perisistant people who get what they want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry to hear that you're stuck with such uncooperative people on the other end of things - I don't have any personal experience with foreclosures, but I understand that buying one can be quite a tricky and frustrating process.  I'll be thinking of you guys, and hope that with your persistence and patience it all works out well! 
  • Thanks, Kristan (and Erin). It has been suggested that there are things the bank knows about that they just aren't telling us, and they don't want us to find out which is why they are basically not allowing us an inspection. But for other reasons that also doesn't make sense. It is good to be reminded, though, that if this doesn't work out it's because it wasn't suppose to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just sent you a PM :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Replied. Thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Not fun :-(  We haven't actually had an offer accepted yet, so I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to deal with a foreclosure and having to do the negotiations yourself!  I hope you find the right place in the end after all the roadblocks!  Lack of inventory seems to be making the Twin Cities a seller's market right now...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards