Wedding Party

Gift Cards for Bridal Party?

My Fiance whats to get the groomsmen all different things which I am fine with but he wants to get a few of them gift cards to there favorite local restaurants because we know they wont use flasks, and cuff links, and shot glasses etc....

What do you think of gift cards???

I am getting my girls bracelets for the wedding day and also surprising them with personalized photo books from when we were little till the wedding day.....

Are gift cards an ok option????? Has anyone else done this???

Deanna
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gift Cards for Bridal Party?

• My BFF's and I are photo crazy, we dont ever miss a picture of anything we do and I do get them photobooks for all the events in there lifes, births, milestone bdays.... so photo books are perfect for us :)

And sorry about the music but its why i have the page :) i love it :)

Thanks for your info though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-cards-for-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:6303b631-d72c-45f1-80b3-1a4049757522Post:067dcb5a-7e19-4008-b028-441de8e0784b">Re: Gift Cards for Bridal Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My BFF's and I are photo crazy, we dont ever miss a picture of anything we do and I do get them photobooks for all the events in there lifes, births, milestone bdays.... so photo books are perfect for us :) And sorry about the music but its why i have the page :) i love it :) Thanks for your info though :)
    Posted by deanna5776[/QUOTE]

If they already have a photobook for <em>all the events in their lives</em>, I think maybe this idea is overplayed.

Also, bracelets for them to wear for your wedding are not gifts.

Giftcards are fine, so long as they are geared towards individual tastes.
  • hmmmm 

i guess i am confused....

i have been in all 8 of my friends wedding and each time i was given a piece of jewlery to be worn at the wedding lol maybe we are doing something wrong :)

But my main concern for the post was gift cards being ok....and yes they would be to each persons taste and to one of there favorite places, stores, golfing range, etc :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-cards-for-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6303b631-d72c-45f1-80b3-1a4049757522Post:42efd6e2-ad4f-4412-889b-56aec3fc175c">Re: Gift Cards for Bridal Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]hmmmm  i guess i am confused.... i have been in all 8 of my friends wedding and each time i was given a piece of jewlery to be worn at the wedding lol maybe we are doing something wrong :) But my main concern for the post was gift cards being ok....and yes they would be to each persons taste and to one of there favorite places, stores, golfing range, etc :)

<div>It's not that you're doing something wrong, but things you are giving your bridal party to wear during the wedding are not gifts. They are accesories. In this instance, a gift is something that is /not/ related to the wedding at all. Like PP's said, gift cards are just fine, and it sounds like you know which ones to give your girls. So good luck!</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • I'm getting bracelets for my girls too (Jewelry at weddings is common for us too) BUT you also get a separate gift too so its not just something for your wedding.  You are doing that so you are good to go.  If photo books are what you guys are into then that is a good gift.  Gift cards are OK if they suit the girls personal interest.  I'm wanting to do gift cards but like you am wanting something personal to go along with it. 

Anniversary
  • thanks for all the input...

Seems like my fiance will be just fine giving gift cards to the guys.....

works for me...less i have to research and do :)

thanks again

Deanna
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Every wedding I have been in I have received jewelry as my gift, I thought that was the norm...

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-cards-for-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:6303b631-d72c-45f1-80b3-1a4049757522Post:6083cb29-950e-4394-bd62-f2b21889cdb4">Re: Gift Cards for Bridal Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every wedding I have been in I have received jewelry as my gift, I thought that was the norm...
    Posted by bubblegum1309[/QUOTE]

In some circles, it is the norm, and there's nothing wrong with that.  The thing is that you give your WP gifts to thank them for their love, support, etc., and therefore it should be a thoughtful gift, chosen with the person in mind.  Buying someone a piece of jewelry that you think they will enjoy is a lovely gift.  Buying someone a piece of jewelry that may or may not be their style, expecting them to wear it in the wedding for the sake of matchy-matchyness, is not a thoughtful gift for the BMs, it's more a gift for the bride.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • It's best to do something personal to show you put some thought into their gift, but if you really can't think of anything, I'm sure most people would prefer to receive a gift card to somewhere they shop than receive a generic gift that the wedding industry advertises. 

As for the jewelry, it's pretty common in my circle too, but it's usually the smallest part of the gift.  For my wedding, I bought each of my girls necklace that had a citrine stone in it (my wedding color was yellow), but I picked a different style for each person that I thought reflected their tastes so that they could wear it after the wedding.  I've been married almost a year and a half and my sister still wears her necklace every day.

However, I also got them each something personal based on their likes.  For my MOH, it was a bottle of her favorite perfume, for another BM it was her favorite coffee that comes from a special shop and a photo mug of her and her son, etc.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-cards-for-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:6303b631-d72c-45f1-80b3-1a4049757522Post:42efd6e2-ad4f-4412-889b-56aec3fc175c">Re: Gift Cards for Bridal Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]hmmmm  i guess i am confused.... i have been in all 8 of my friends wedding and each time i was given a piece of jewlery to be worn at the wedding lol maybe we are doing something wrong :) But my main concern for the post was gift cards being ok....and yes they would be to each persons taste and to one of there favorite places, stores, golfing range, etc :)

It's a trend of 'gift-giving' that is horribly thoughtless, and hopefully going to die out. 

Think of it this way: If someone gave you something for Xmas that was an item that they bought because THEY liked it, and mostly got it for you so that THIER Xmas gifts looked 'just so', you'd probably thank them, and wonder why they were such a self-centered weirdo.

Gifts are not about what pleases the giver.  They are about pleasing the reciever.  If you buy something that YOU want, for YOUR pictures, to please YOURSELF, it's not a gift to the person.  That person will probably wear it for you, but it's not a gift to them.

Buy something that makes the reciever happy.  Something that speaks to their interests.  Something that doesn't just make them into a living prop, but rather a person who you care about making happy.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• It depends upon your budget what ever you want to gift. Jewelry, photo frames, Candles are some common things that people choose but gift cards are always welcomed by all. So I think , go for it. It is a very nice option and people will like this for sure.

• I love the idea of giftcards rather than matchy, wedding-industry contrived gifts like flasks, cuff-links, etc.

I really wish we could convince the bridal world to shop for each person as an individual instead of feeding the wedding industry greed machine.  THEY are the ones who feed this idea to brides because they sell all that matchy-matchy crap.  No one needs another tote filled with "stuff" - on surveys here on worst bridal party gift that is usually number one.

Shop like it is their birthday or Christmas and buy individual gifts.  Stepping off my soapbox now.....

Giftcards are just fine.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-cards-for-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6303b631-d72c-45f1-80b3-1a4049757522Post:cdb05b3a-f7c1-4c4c-9b2f-38314689685f">Gift Cards for Bridal Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Fiance whats to get the groomsmen all different things which I am fine with but he wants to get a few of them gift cards to there favorite local restaurants because we know they wont use flasks, and cuff links, and shot glasses etc.... What do you think of gift cards??? I am getting my girls bracelets for the wedding day and also surprising them with personalized photo books from when we were little till the wedding day..... Are gift cards an ok option????? Has anyone else done this??? Deanna

This is not meant to offend you, but I think you should follow your fiance's lead with the gifts and rethink your choices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards