Military Brides

How to Word This?

So both my daughter and her fiance are in the Navy. Since they at least one will be going on deployment fairly quickly (they are both graduating A school soon) they don't want any household gifts. The way they have decided to handle this is to enclose a really cute pic of them holding a ditty bag in their invitation and wording to the effect that they can't accept anything that doesn't fit in the bag.

So I am asking the hive mind here how you would word something like that.

Thanks!

Re: How to Word This?

• I would spread it by word of mouth.  Anything else is kind of off putting.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • "We met at A School And since we're fools, We're running off to get legally hitched! At our inevitable divorce it will be a b!tch To divide any dishes or pepper mills, So instead, give us lots of dollar bills!" YWIA.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_how-to-word-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:01b46849-01c9-4128-98e7-bf7c0c51e379Post:fe78c600-ae1a-43f3-9fc7-278a1975fbf6">Re: How to Word This?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would spread it by word of mouth.  Anything else is kind of off putting.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep, this. Check out the ettiquette board....any thing about gifts or money should not be on or with the invitations. Just don't create a registry and most family and friends will get the hint.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_how-to-word-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:01b46849-01c9-4128-98e7-bf7c0c51e379Post:f5f6e542-6895-4085-8f0a-d2897b55d9a1">How to Word This?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So both my daughter and her fiance are in the Navy. Since they at least one will be going on deployment fairly quickly (they are both graduating A school soon) they don't want any household gifts. The way they have decided to handle this is to enclose a really cute pic of them holding a ditty bag in their invitation and wording to the effect that they can't accept anything that doesn't fit in the bag. So I am asking the hive mind here how you would word something like that. Thanks!
    Posted by ciaransidhe[/QUOTE]
    This is inappropriate.  There should be nothing about gifts at all in wedding invitations.

• I'm a MOB who retired from the military and I absolutely agree that nothing at all should be mentioned about gifts in their invitations.  No picture of them with a dity bag, nothing.

Word of mouth is your best bet. If they do get any physical gifts they need a storage plan.  If one of them deploys right away, what is the other one going to be doing?  Apartment?  Base housing?  Lots of dual status couples deploy concurrently and have households set up so they should be thinking about this now so they are prepared.
  • Indeed, the word of mouth is the best solution for this.  All the people you invite to a weeding are family and friends, so what you need to do is just let them know that the couple does not want big gifts. 

It will spread like gunpowder. Plus these days you can use the social networks to provide this type of news to everybody.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards