Favors

Welcome Bags

We are doing simple welcome bags for our guests staying at the hotel.  It's pretty plain, two bottles of water, chapstick, important info for the wedding, movie listings for Friday night.  Pretty low-cost/low-key.  My question is quantity.  I have no clue if one per room would be ok or should every guest get one? 

We're doing wedding favors separate.  This is just a little gesture since my whole family is flying in from the DC area and will be new to the altitude and dry weather (hence water and chapstick).

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker 
  Visit The Knot!

Re: Welcome Bags

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    My honest reaction is...chapstick?!? I know you attempted to explain it...but buying a toiletry item for an adult isn't a gift. I'm not a fan of welcome bags...but water, booze or wine, and some gourmet chocolate sounds better than chapstick.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_welcome-bags-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:7460538b-df78-4960-90ce-aab42efd515cPost:f6310ea6-8d18-4453-b9a8-728d15736880">Re:Welcome Bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]My honest reaction is...chapstick?!? I know you attempted to explain it...but buying a toiletry item for an adult isn't a gift. I'm not a fan of welcome bags...<strong>but water, booze or wine, and some gourmet chocolate sounds better than chapstick.</strong>
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This!  Also, one per room is fine.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_welcome-bags-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:7460538b-df78-4960-90ce-aab42efd515cPost:f6310ea6-8d18-4453-b9a8-728d15736880">Re:Welcome Bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]My honest reaction is...chapstick?!? I know you attempted to explain it...but buying a toiletry item for an adult isn't a gift. I'm not a fan of welcome bags...but water, booze or wine, and some gourmet chocolate sounds better than chapstick.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

Yes, because that is the same budget as Chapstick and water... I think the OP's idea is thoughtful, and I would hope her guests would be grateful for the gesture.
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks.  We're already set on the contents but thanks for the advice, and seeing as most of my family are recovering alcoholics, booze is the last thing we're going to place in these bags :).  One per room it is :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
  • itzMSitzMS member

Nothing says Welcome and thanks for spending all of this money traveling to our wedding like some Chapstick. Woot woot!

• edited April 2013
    What's your problem?   Does it make you feel superior to judge my wedding?   And if I wanted advice on the contents of the welcome bags for OUR wedding, I would have asked that.  All I asked was how many bags should I spend time putting together and that was answered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
  • itzMSitzMS member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_welcome-bags-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:7460538b-df78-4960-90ce-aab42efd515cPost:67ecda35-fb8b-45c1-ab63-38c71a232e2f">Re: Welcome Bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's your problem?   Does it make you feel superior to judge my wedding?   And if I wanted advice on the contents of the welcome bags for OUR wedding, I would have asked that.  All I asked was how many bags should I spend time putting together and that was answered.
    Posted by hockeywithadiamond[/QUOTE]

Whoa now. This is a public forum, and I am permitted to express my opinion. I don't know <em>any</em> adult who would be super thrilled to get a Chapstick and a bottle of water. If you do, then kudos to you.
  • I would focus on free things you could include, such as brochures, maps, flyers from your local Chamber of Commerce.  These will help people new to the area, and won't cost a thing.  Send them an e-mail and they'll get you going. We got a box full of various brochures about Baltimore, including really great maps, little guide booklets, and discount 2 for 1 tickets.  Did not even have to pay postage to get these.  We're going to use some in our 'save the date' packet, some in the hotel welcome bags, and pass some around at the rehearsal dinner.

I would also consider giving them a few wedding-specific items:

wedding weekend/day itinerary
    venue map / directions
    list of local restaurants (or pick up brochures)
    take-out menus (which can be collected in advance from the hotel, for people who are too tired to leave their room)
    wedding mad libs or crossword (you can make one)
    CONTACT INFORMATION **** this is very helpful for out of town guests

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_welcome-bags-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:7460538b-df78-4960-90ce-aab42efd515cPost:568757d4-0374-4189-a739-2d5169cf4b0f">Re: Welcome Bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome Bags : Whoa now. This is a public forum, and I am permitted to express my opinion. I don't know any adult who would be super thrilled to get a Chapstick and a bottle of water. If you do, then kudos to you.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]
    I would, as long as it was actually chapstick brand.  I'm addicted. 

• I agree don't do toiletries. Even if guests forget something, most hotels have that kind of stuff free of charge. But the water, if I were a guest from out of state, I'd appreciate it. Different states have different minerals in the water which, if someone has a sensitive stomach, isn't good to drink from the tap. But bottled water doesn't vary by state. I always try to bring bottled water when going out of state and if I forgot and I saw a bottle in a basket with a couple of brochures, I would be thrilled. But maybe that's just me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards