Military Brides

Family all over !

Hello all,
I am recently engaged and looking into planning a wedding (which is really intimidating BTW).
My fiance' and I are both active duty military with family alllllll over the world. Not too long ago, we lost our daughter and had plenty of family rush by our side for support. Not everyone in our family can afford to make a trip out here again for a little while. I guess my question would be.. does anyone have suggestions on how to have a wedding that majority of family could attend or be involved in? There is no "middle point" between where everyone lives, we have family overseas as well (my parents/brother). I'm thinking of going to the courts for now and having a small reception with our in-town friends, and maybe renewing vows in a year or two? It was also suggested to maybe save up now and plan a wedding for our 5 year anniversary... but I'm thinking that's just soo far away, lol. Please help!

Re: Family all over !

• We had family all over as well. We had the wedding we wanted, which was not a courthouse wedding with another ceremony later. We got married one time with no vow renewal. For me personally, the VR would not have felt like a wedding ceremony should. I wanted to do it once with H, and so we did. The people who could make it did, and we just made sure to spend a little extra on an amazing photographer and videographer. Everyone who couldn't make it got to live a little vicariously through that. 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited April 2013
    Big hugs tiggy. I'm sorry for your loss. How soon did you want to have your wedding? I agree with what Stan is suggesting.
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  

My husband and I also have family and good friends all over.  We were very limited on which dates we could have a ceremony.  We also didn't want to wait much longer.  We planned a ceremony that we could afford at the time with the idea that we would have a vow renewal on our 5th anniversary.  We had just over 30 people at our wedding, most of them being my family.  No one from his family was able to make it but he had a decent number of friends there.  We took a ton of pictures and sent them to the family members who could not make it.  

We've been married for 6 years now and have decided the VR just isn't as important to us as so many other things.  We are married and that's all that matters.  If it had just been the two of us and the pastor there, we would have been ok with it.  

I also have a cousin who had a similar issue.  Many family members from both sides of the family couldn't make it to her wedding.  She had a friend who is a web master set up a live video feed so they could stream the wedding to all their family and friends who couldn't be there.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tx's post reminds me that one of H's cousins live skyped to the rest of his family who couldn't make it. They set up like a viewing party at someone's house. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Thanks! We both aren't too fond of doing a VR anymore, because it most likely wont be a priority. I just want to finally marry my man! Instead of going to the JOP, I thought of doing an elopement in the mountains of Sedona, with 2 witnesses. That way, it would sort of have the feel of a wedding, but be simple and intimate. I wanted a photographer or videographer to piece up something nice for our family and friends. Our parents weren't too keen on the idea, and apparently really want us to have a wedding. They just seem so expensive and just for show, but I'm sure we can find a happy medium.
  • Tiggy, that wedding sounds amazing. After what the two of you have been through together, I would do exactly what you said. Do this for the two of you, not for anyone else. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to Re:Family all over !:[QUOTE]Thanks! We both aren't too fond of doing a VR anymore, because it most likely wont be a priority. I just want to finally marry my man! Instead of going to the JOP, I thought of doing an elopement in the mountains of Sedona, with 2 witnesses. That way, it would sort of have the feel of a wedding, but be simple and intimate. I wanted a photographer or videographer to piece up something nice for our family and friends.
    Posted by tiggymo37[/QUOTE]
    This sounds lovely!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards