Attire & Accessories Forum

When to buy the shoes?

Just curious about when you bought the shoes you wore or will wear for your wedding. I bought my dress earlier this month but my wedding is not for another year. I have a feeling that finding the right shoes could prove more difficult than finding the dress. If I buy them now, I still remember what my dress looks like in detail so I can try to match the shoes up well, but then I run the risk of finding a better shoe. 

And to wear a sandal (high heeled) or not? Hmm.

Re: When to buy the shoes?

• I ordered my shoes about 5 months before I bought my dress. I got them from Victoria's Secret.  I found it more fun shopping for shoes than a dress,  was willing to spend anything on shoes and then what was remaining on dress. I lucked out and feel in love with a $60 pair of heels.
  • I bought my shoes the day of my first fitting. I knew I wanted white shoes and was having a heck of a time finding a pair of white shoes that I liked.

As long as you have them by your fittings, you will be fine. You can get them anytime you find the perfect pair. Good luck.
  • I bought mine after I picked my dress but before the first fitting so I have them when I go in for it.
  • Start looking ASAP.  I took me 8 months to find shoes.  I had a lot of trouble because I didn't find any that were comfortable. A lot of the online stores take a long time to ship the shoes.  And you absolutely need them before the first fitting, and dress shops will often tell you that.  
  • I didn't vote because I got my shoes really early before I even thought about dresses.  I got my shoes in Aug '10 and didn't get my dress until March '11. I'd start shopping because a lot of girls seem to have trouble finding "the shoe"
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • I also didn't vote because I got my shoes before I got my dress. I found a pair of simple white satin cole haan peep toes for a fabulous deal, and I don't have my dress yet.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_buy-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:d174e9cf-56dc-4c23-af22-a7cc0b3fb94bPost:7c40a9af-aa2d-4835-aba7-b4fbbbe29f70">Re: When to buy the shoes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Start looking ASAP.  I took me 8 months to find shoes.  I had a lot of trouble because I didn't find any that were comfortable. A lot of the online stores take a long time to ship the shoes.  And you absolutely need them before the first fitting, and dress shops will often tell you that.  
    Posted by GJones27[/QUOTE]

yep, i agree. there is so much out there, and you want to give yourself time to find a pair that fits. i had originally bought a pair of shoes (mine were hot pink) and after walking in them i realized they were WAY TOO high. so i sold them on ebay and turned to zappos, and found my shoes. you also want time to break them in and be comfortable.
  • I am doing the second option
  • Thanks everyone! I guess I should get shopping. DSW looks like they have some great looking shoes for under $60, which is what I'll probably do.
  • It honestly doesn't matter, as long as you have an idea of the height of your shoes. I knew I'd be wearing 3" or 4" heels so when I ordered my dress, they did the measurements to go with that height of a heel. The shoes I ordered had 4" heels, and I brought them to my first fitting and it worked together perfectly without any alterations.
  • I bought my shoes before I bough the dress so I would have them for the first fitting.
    I got a pair from DSW but then I embellished them a bit!

• i will probably buy my shoes before my dress.  or i could see myself buying a couple pairs and deciding later.  I know ill wear them eventually. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards