• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2011 Weddings

XP: Get the most out of your wedding dress!

I just wanted to do a quick PSA for all of you brides to be!

Your wedding dress does NOT need to be a one-wear gown. Get the most out of it! Let's be honest, how likely is it that your daughter (if you even have one) will want to wear your dress when she gets married? 

What are you REALLY going to do with your dress when the wedding is over? It'll likely go in a box and never be seen again. So let's get the most of it.

Here's what I did:

Got married:

Trashed it:

Cleaned it and wore it to our AHR:

And then got the "bling" taken off the sash, and had it shortened to a party dress that I can wear for anniversaries/whenever:

And I did all of this for around $1,200, including alterations, the cleaning cost, and second alterations... which is less than some girls spend on the dress before alterations. I will continue to get use out of it too, it's a hot little number now!

Re: XP: Get the most out of your wedding dress!

• Cute!  

I don't think it would work with my dress.  But on yours it works!

I still have no idea what to do with my dress.  I want to donate it, but my Mom wants me to save it (she paid for it.)
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited January 2012
    Definitely cute. Theoretically, I could shorten my dress. But realistically, I doubt I would ever wear it again. However, the material can be used for a lot of other things in the future -- so that's my plan!
  • Beautiful!! I don't know that mine would work that well to shorten (especially since it was too big to begin with and a corset back is a little too high maintenence for a regular dress), but I wish! That new dress is hot!
  • Thanks! 

Yeah, it's definitely not something that can be done with all dresses but I was THRILLED that it worked well with mine.

If you guys haven't done a trash the dress session, I highly recommend it! You get some more awesome photos of you in your wedding dress and it's really not that hard to get clean. My dress was more dirty following our reception (dirty floors made the bottom BLACK) than it was after getting in the sand and ocean water.
  • Cute. I don't think my dress would work getting it shorthened either. Plus I really don't think I would want to wear it again, first of all it's white, and most of the dress that I've had that were white were from religious stuff, the last one was from my confirmation. I rather make something out of it. I saw a thing on pinterest to make part of it into a tree skirt for chirstmas, which I would like to do, that way I can at least use it once a year. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_xp-out-of-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:ff7e9dd9-d353-40f9-acec-cde44312b4c4Post:925733a1-0ce8-4610-82fc-af6cd2a11d18">Re: XP: Get the most out of your wedding dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cute. I don't think my dress would work getting it shorthened either. Plus I really don't think I would want to wear it again, first of all it's white, and most of the dress that I've had that were white were from religious stuff, the last one was from my confirmation. I rather make something out of it. I saw a thing on pinterest to make part of it into a tree skirt for chirstmas, which I would like to do, that way I can at least use it once a year. 
    Posted by Nattie24[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty awesome idea, Nat! Can you share the link for anyone else who might be interested? Mine wouldn't make a good short dress because there was so much detail in the train, but it would make a hell of a Christmas tree skirt, as well as other crafts.
  • That's awesome!

I haven't even gotten mine cleaned yet.. is that bad?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine.  Maybe see, in the future, if something can be made from the fabric (baptism outfit, etc.)
  • Here's a few links of ideas.. (some don't actually tell you how to do these things..)

I also have not gotten my cleaned. Just don't want to drag it out there. maybe once I figure out what to do with it I will. 
  • I'm donating mine. It can't be shortened plus I don't see myself wearing a fancy white dress again anytime soon (fabric is satin so even short it'd seem fancy). I'd rather help someone else out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_xp-out-of-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:ff7e9dd9-d353-40f9-acec-cde44312b4c4Post:dbc3fd88-a143-4176-94c7-c69c75472934">Re: XP: Get the most out of your wedding dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm donating mine. It can't be shortened plus I don't see myself wearing a fancy white dress again anytime soon (fabric is satin so even short it'd seem fancy). I'd rather help someone else out.
    Posted by deeegoalie[/QUOTE]

<div>I love this idea too :) So nice.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards