Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

I need help

I am in the beginning stages of planning my wedding. This is both our second wedding. To make a long story short, I wanted to elope to Alaska since we are already planning a trip next year.  However my mom told me if I deprived her of this she would never forgive me.  So now we are planning to be married June, 7 2014. 

Here is what I am thinking, and I think it's impossible at this point.  As inexpensive as possible without me having to do everything myself.  I have 2 kids, have 2 jobs, and am going back to school for my BSN. 
1.  small venue (50-75 guests)
2.  very simple
3.  would prefer scenic outdoor area for ceremony.
4.  rustic reception

I don't care about the dancing part of the reception.  It will be my immediate family, so it will be like a family reunion. 

I am so overwhelmed, I don't know where to start.  Does anyone have suggestions for reception venues that are cheap but nice and rustic?  I am looking in the Pittsburgh area, but will go towards ohiopyle if there is anywhere nice out there.  We are both avid hikers.

Re: I need help

• Check out local parks. I live in the North Hills and North Park has lots of nice groves and pavillions that you can rent for a low cost. 
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I've leaned a little about budget weddings from the boards here, you should read through some of the posts to get ideas. 
    To keep it very simple you may want to do a "cake and punch" reception.  This is done at a non-meal-time (search cake and punch reception the boards and you will see what are appropriate times).  You will need to make sure there is seating for everyone.
    Doing the whole thing in a park would also keep it simple.
    If you want more of a meal you may want to check into doing a brunch reception.  The smaller your wedding is the more flexibility you will have and you might be able to get a party room at a restaurant.
  • Shady Elms Farms is beautiful for rustic weddings, however I'm not sure how much it costs to rent out the barn there. Might want to check into it though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TD2014TD2014 member
    First Comment
    I think my family would be offended if I didn't have a full meal.  I am leaning more towards a place that does everything for me.  I just want to show up and go. 

I have thought about getting married at Ohiopyle, then the reception at The stonehouse inn.  Has anyone been there for their services?
  • Narcis Winery located in Mars, PA. I can not stop talking about it.. How nice they have a picnic area and very nice landscape, that is where my bridal shower is this weekend. They have amazing food as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re: I need help:
    [QUOTE]Shady Elms Farms is beautiful for rustic weddings, however I'm not sure how much it costs to rent out the barn there. Might want to check into it though!
    Posted by Caitlynmk[/QUOTE]

Shady Elms is beautiful but very pricey.

If you are willing to go outside of Pittsburgh, West Overton Barn in Scottdale and Bell's Banquets in Mt. Pleasant may be worth looking in to.

I second North Park Lodge as well, I went to a wedding there a few years ago and it was lovely.
  • leoaelleoael member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    If you're interested in the Ohiopyle area, the Barn at Fallingwater offers a rustic ceremony and reception space, not sure of the price though. You can also try Christian Klay Winery nearby in Chalkhill.
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am in the same boat as you. My fiance and I wanted to get married on vacation but certain family members were devastated by the idea. So, I'm having a very simple outdoor ceremony, bbq dinner and bonfire. 

Here is the contact info for the coordinator at the Stone House at Ohiopyle. I talked to them when I was thinking about having a wedding at a retreat house located in Ohiopyle. You can rent their outdoor gazebo for 2 hours with electricity and 30 chairs for $250. I'm sure you can add chairs for a bit more. It has a nice wooded area by it for photos too. Their ballroom seats 150 if you wanted the reception there. They woman was very helpful and informative. I have their 2012 catering menu/prices in a Word Doc - don't think I can attach it here but if you want it, let me know and I can email. 

Kathryn Coddington

Group Sales Director

724-329-2020-direct line

As for other rustic venues, I looked the little Inn building at North Park. There's also a great/cheap lodge building at Bradys Run - but is pretty far outside the city. The barns/rustic venues that people are naming on here all cost a fortune (in my opinion) because the 'rustic' thing is in right now. I know you prefer to have someone do it all but keep in mind, it's sometimes cheaper to rent a place separately and then find a caterer on your own that is withint your price range and will take care of it all. Good luck! 

• TD2014TD2014 member
    First Comment
    Thank you so much for the advice.  I will definitely look into everything you mentioned.  Will you please PM the word doc?  I have stayed at Stonehouse before and I love it.  I just have to get my fiancee on board.  His only rule for getting married is we ride from the wedding location to the reception on our Harley.  I guess pictures will have to be before.  Bye bye white dress!

In Response to Re: I need help:
    [QUOTE]I am in the same boat as you. My fiance and I wanted to get married on vacation but certain family members were devastated by the idea. So, I'm having a very simple outdoor ceremony, bbq dinner and bonfire.  Here is the contact info for the coordinator at the Stone House at Ohiopyle. I talked to them when I was thinking about having a wedding at a retreat house located in Ohiopyle. You can rent their outdoor gazebo for 2 hours with electricity and 30 chairs for $250. I'm sure you can add chairs for a bit more. It has a nice wooded area by it for photos too. Their ballroom seats 150 if you wanted the reception there. They woman was very helpful and informative. I have their 2012 catering menu/prices in a Word Doc - don't think I can attach it here but if you want it, let me know and I can email.  Kathryn Coddington Group Sales Director 724-329-2020 -direct line As for other rustic venues, I looked the little Inn building at North Park. There's also a great/cheap lodge building at Bradys Run - but is pretty far outside the city. The barns/rustic venues that people are naming on here all cost a fortune (in my opinion) because the 'rustic' thing is in right now. I know you prefer to have someone do it all but keep in mind, it's sometimes cheaper to rent a place separately and then find a caterer on your own that is withint your price range and will take care of it all. Good luck! 
    Posted by offbeat9[/QUOTE]
  • LOVE the harley idea. I just sent you a PM with the stone house menu and prob way too much other info but i figured i might as well shared what i learned/found during my venue hunt.

In Response to Re: I need help:
    [QUOTE]Thank you so much for the advice.  I will definitely look into everything you mentioned.  Will you please PM the word doc?  I have stayed at Stonehouse before and I love it.  I just have to get my fiancee on board.  His only rule for getting married is we ride from the wedding location to the reception on our Harley.  I guess pictures will have to be before.  Bye bye white dress! In Response to Re: I need help :
    Posted by TD2014[/QUOTE]
  • Check out North park - We're planning our Oct 2013 wedding of 65-70 people for under $5,000 and so far things are going as planned!

We rented the North Park Lodge for $350 for the day and that includes an alcohol permit... Additionally, they have the Rose Barn which is smaller and cheaper.

We're doing a Sunday am ceremony and brunch reception :)

Good luck!!! It will work out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards