Moms and Maids

Black Bridesmaid Dresses

Our colors are pale pink, gray, black, and white. What are your thoughts on black cocktail length bridesmaid dresses for an outdoor early October ceremony?  I want to make it easy on my four bridesmaids but still pleasing to the eye.  I love the look of blush or light gray dresses against the greenery but black would definitely be easiest.

Re: Black Bridesmaid Dresses

• *doing mix-matched dresses but in the one color

• If they had maybe a sash or something with a little bit of color, I think they could look nice. But I wouldn't do straight black.
  • lisabeatslisabeats member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure where you're located, but outdoor October could still be chilly. So maybe provide colorful/autumn-colored wraps or something to serve a dual purpose?

Edit- not duel. This is not a battle of epic proportions.
  • My BMs dresses are straight black. Go for it if you want to. They'll have color in their bouquets.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_black-bridesmaid-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:52179cdd-9878-44f0-9173-e2791f57fe72Post:4cf7f2fe-2ad1-4ca2-8a52-22468fe426a6">Black Bridesmaid Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our colors are pale pink, gray, black, and white. What are your thoughts on black cocktail length bridesmaid dresses for an outdoor early October ceremony?  I want to make it easy on my four bridesmaids but still pleasing to the eye.  I love the look of blush or light gray dresses against the greenery but black would definitely be easiest.
    Posted by pdenman7[/QUOTE]

You won't regret going with black.  Making your BMs lives easy makes your life 100x easier. 

Let them get black dresses in X length, and you can give them all sashes in your colors to 'theme' them.  You could even alternate blush and light grey sashes.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• My bridesmaids are wearing an amazing black dress. I wanted one for myself as it is also very versatile. A bright bouquet really pops against a black background.
  • I STILL use my black bridesmaids dress from my best friends wedding 5 years ago.  It was black strapless T-length, and I was just talking about shortening it so I can use it some more.  I love that I can dress it up with all sorts of variety.  And at the wedding it looked gorgeous on everyone.  The red flowers popped, and was timeless all around. 

Go for it!  And I love the idea of a wrap of some sort.

Blush or grey would be a nice choice as well, but the girls will for sure get use out of black again.

Anniversary
  • I see no problem with black in October.  I like the idea of adding a little color via an accessory and I think the pashminas / wraps would be better than a sash; not every dress really goes with a sash.  October in the Midwest is a bit of a risk, but the last few years its been warmer later (and colder later, thanks snow in April...) so you'll probably be okay.  But might not be a bad idea to look at renting some heaters!

• Thanks for all your input! :)
  • That's exactly what we're doing, and our wedding is outdoors at the beginning of August (gee, I hope our snow is melted by then!). I think black looks great, and you can pair any colour flower with it.

Note: I've never liked black for weddings, BUT, my wedding dress is beige, and only so many colours go with it!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_black-bridesmaid-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:52179cdd-9878-44f0-9173-e2791f57fe72Post:4cf7f2fe-2ad1-4ca2-8a52-22468fe426a6">Black Bridesmaid Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our colors are pale pink, gray, black, and white. What are your thoughts on black cocktail length bridesmaid dresses for an outdoor early October ceremony?  I want to make it easy on my four bridesmaids but still pleasing to the eye.  I love the look of blush or light gray dresses against the greenery but black would definitely be easiest.
    Posted by pdenman7[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi,

I think that black will be fine.  I'm getting married in August, and we're having black dresses.  My bridesmaids are spread all over the place, and having black will just make it so much easier on everyone.  Plus, black pretty much is universally flattering and it will hopefully be something that they can wear again.

I know that a lot of people like the girls in colourful dresses, but for us having things less complicated for the people involved trumped the colour.  Plus, the bouquets will be colourful, and you cna always add a sash!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ally91ally91 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_black-bridesmaid-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:52179cdd-9878-44f0-9173-e2791f57fe72Post:b71e2e79-e6a5-4eab-a692-9ec2b2914cc2">Re: Black Bridesmaid Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure where you're located, but outdoor October could still be chilly. So maybe provide colorful/autumn-colored wraps or something to serve a dual purpose? <strong>Edit- not duel. This is not a battle of epic proportions.
    </strong>Posted by lisabeats[/QUOTE]

Bolded is the best self-correct I've ever seen.

ETA: Black is fine, especially if you're letting them pick whatever style they like. Try fun color shoes if you want to lighten the mood some! (But remember, if you require a specific shoe, you must pay for it)
    Soon-to-be Mrs. Kent
  • We did black dresses... I wanted both easy for the girls and uniform color.  We let them pick out a little black dress they felt comfortable and confident in and wanted to wear again, the only request was they were all knee length, and black shoes again of their choosing that they could walk and in.  I supplied the purple wraps (that matched the guys' vests) and even though they had different dresses, they all looked so awesome together :)  We had a fall backdrop, too, the bouquets were fall colored too, it all worked really well, the colors popped, and they felt amazing and were super grateful I didn't stuff them in a shade or cut that was unflattering ;) I vote for black dresses and wraps! :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Honestly? I'm just not crazy about black. Is very dark and dreary, and doesn't always read the best in photos. I think you could pick a designer and color and ask your BM's to pick a dress from that collection. I would maybe do pink or grey, but again thats just my preference.
  • One of our friends that got married had her BMs all pick out their own black floor length gowns, and had bright bouquets which looked great against them.  I think she also provided a flower clip for their hair that matched their bouquets.  While I understand the differing opinions on black at weddings, I personally thought their wedding looked very classy done that way.

Our colors are pale pink, gray, black, and white. What are your thoughts on black cocktail length bridesmaid dresses for an outdoor early October ceremony?  I want to make it easy on my four bridesmaids but still pleasing to the eye.  I love the look of blush or light gray dresses against the greenery but black would definitely be easiest.
    Posted by pdenman7
  • I agree with Winelover, mine are straight black cocktail dresses, and they look fabulous for our August wedding! Go for it if that's what you would like to do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks again for all of the advice.  My mother recently moved and offered her backyard for our ceremony so we are switching to a June wedding.  The colors will be the same (with the addition of mint & sage), but I've decided that I don't care what my bridesmaids are wearing... just that they are up there with me is enough!

I'll probably just ask that they wear any dress in one of  wedding colors and possibly just any dress in any color period.  I'm not really one to stick with tradition anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards