Connecticut

Plus Size Dress Samples

Hi All
So I went to look for a dress the first time this Saturday and didn't try a single one on because they only had about 5-6 that would fit. None were the style I wanted. I was shocked, disgusted, disappointed and most of all discouraged!!!  I wear a misses 16/18 and I know the average woman in the U.S is a size 14, why would they have the majority of samples in a size 6 or 8?

I am nervous to try again so I am looking to see if anyone knows of a bridal shop that carries a variety of plus size samples.

Thanks 

Re: Plus Size Dress Samples

• Hi Cj,
    I am a size 16. I went to Mariellas in Rocky Hill and tried on many dresses. Some of it depends on what type of dress you are looking for. Fit and flares or mermaids would have been difficult to try on but A lines and other fuller skirts were not an issue. I found that Maggie Sottero and Sottero and Midgely were very figure flattering.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2013
    bridal bells in kensington/berlin specalizes in plus size she carrys samples in those sizes and has the juliett line by mori lee thats her plus line

stylish impressions in farmington specializes in plus and they also have samples for you to try on 

brides 2 be in glastonbury consigment ( mostly sample gowns never worn about 30% of stock is true consignment. they have gowns in 0-30

bridal mall niantic they sell never worn sample gowns in 0-28

herolds in new haven has plus size samples to try on 

davids bridal and alfred angelo also have plus 

marilellas has nothing in plus i am a 20 street size and she said i have 2 samples only to try on you can put the rest up to your body 

some tips locate designers you like and love get the number of the salons from the websites and call them ask them if they have samples in your size to try on. if they dont you can ask the store to see if the designer has a  sample in that size that they can get on loan.  

if you dont really have a particular designer you like and just a style call as many bridal salons in your area or areas you are willing to travel to try on gowns and see what they have dont be afraid if you love a particular designer and style to ask the salon to get the gown on loan in your size 

i am plus size and fell in love with some dreses from boney stars of avon only carrys the brides made line but i spoke to them and they are getting 3 boney plus size gowns on loan from the designer to try on.. 

also you may not like the style of the dress but until you try it on you will never know i would try on every dress the salon has in your size just to see what they look like i said no ball gown or anyting like it and i tried on a simple modifiled ball gown and it kinda looked good on me 
  • I was able to try on a ton of dresses and I purchased an 18.

Occassions in Bethel, dressing area is VERY tight but good selection and good pricing.

Wedding Embassy in Watertown. Megan has an AMAZING selection. Also I was there last year when they had a trunk sale for plus size dresses, you might want to call and see if they have anything coming up but in general great larger selection.

Finally I purchased my dress at Stylish Impression, amazing selection as well, you will be overwhelmed with choices. I would suggest trying to do a late night appointment if you can because I felt they are more relaxed.

Enjoy!
  • I went to Marie Antionette in Derby and had luck there. I'm also plus size
  • I know it's a little far from you, but I went to Marry and Tux in NH. (No sales tax!!)  They had a whole room of plus size gowns.  I would say over 75, and in every style you could imagine.  It was the best experience ever!!!

• If you don't mind the drive (Not sure where you are in CT) go to Boticelli in North Providence, RI. I had an amazing experience there. It was hard to choose a dress, I loved so many! I am so happy with my dress and the experience I had :)
  • cjhannucjhannu member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks I made an appointment at stylish impressions, hope I have luck
  • tneikatneika member

Bridal Bells in Berlin, CT has some plus sizes

• cjhannucjhannu member
    edited May 2013
    Thank You I did go to Mariella's but she only had 5 that were similar to the style I wanted. The consultant stated that they had recently sold a few samples. I fell in live with an Allure gown but it was too snug on the hip to tell how it would fit. I have called every bridal store in Ct and Mass too see if they have a sample in my size, no luck. I found a sottero midgley that is very similar in New Hampshire so I am taking a road trip
  • this last posting was old but a good bridal salon can call up the reps for that designer and locate one in your size or as close as possible and get them on loan for you to try on. you have to ask them if may take a while to get in like a few weeks but if you can wait it would be worth it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards