Wedding Woes
Options

Parent's Anniversaries

Do you give them gifts? Cards? A phone call?

I do cards every year and then for a big anniversary, like this one for both sets (35 years) I'm doing gifts.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Parent's Anniversaries

• Options
    My parents hated each other for so many years that I can't even remember when their anniversary is because they never celebrated it. I know it's in the beginning of October, but I can't remember what day it is.

I don't think I'd give a gift for it though. I might this year because they've actually started liking each other again after my mom was apparently replaced with a kind replicant post-brain surgery. I guess I should figure out what day it is...

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We did something for their 25th and 40th.  Otherwise I figure I wasn't there.

MIL gets butthurt if we forget her's so she always gets a card and gift certificate to PF Chang's.  She calls to remind us about her mom's anniversary too. 
  • Options
    I don't even know when my parents is.  That's their thing for each other, I feel like I'm intruding if I get anything.  We offered to do a party for the 25th and then 30th and they weren't interested either time, they already had plans.  DH's parents are actually the same way.
  • Options
    We did something for my IL's 30th.  And maybe my parents 30th.

Other than that, it's their anniversary.  So if they want something, they need to do it for each other.

• Options
    team varuna.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    By do something I mean we bought them something.  For 25 we paid part of their Ireland trip.  For 40 it was a hot air balloon ride.  Guess we missed their 45th, maybe we'll party on the 50th year.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    this is what divorce is for, so i never have to worry about this sort of thing.

yay, divorce.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    ps - i think it is very weird, and i have said as much, that my mother gets us a card on our anniversary each year. i guess the thought is nice, but i am not so sure why she thinks it is a day that she needs ot have anything to do with. want to do me a favor? take the kid overnight and let us celebrate.

/end of rant.
  • Options
    My parents's was on Dec 22. When my dad was still living I would give them a card.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    we also do a card and a little something.
    My parents always offer to buffy-sit for ours
  • Options
    i usually call and wish them a happy anniversary. that's the extent of it. They do the same for us. 

It's their anniversay - if they want to celebrate, it's up to them. 
  • Options
    I don't do anything.  Never have.  I also think it's weird that people send us anniversary cards.  Our 7th anniversary was yesterday and we got a card from both my parents, an aunt and my step-grandma.   And one of my friends sent an email.   DH and I  didn't even get a card for each other.
  • Options
    The last time I sent someone an anniversary card they got divorced a month later.  So I don't do it.  I might wish them a happy anniversary if I see them in person or talk to them on the phone around that time, otherwise I lay low. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Parent's Anniversaries:
    [QUOTE]I don't do anything.  Never have.  I also think it's weird that people send us anniversary cards.  Our 7th anniversary was yesterday and we got a card from both my parents, an aunt and my step-grandma.   And one of my friends sent an email.   DH and I  didn't even get a card for each other.
    Posted by AuntFlo[/QUOTE]

I would wish you a happy anniversary but you would think I was weird and also I would jinx you into a divorce.  So instead I hope yesterday was extra crappy.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Parent's Anniversaries:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Parent's Anniversaries : I would wish you a happy anniversary but you would think I was weird and also I would jinx you into a divorce.  So instead I hope yesterday was extra crappy.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

It WAS!  Thanks!
  • Options
    fmbyofmbyo member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Nothing. Although this year i was randomly available to hang out with my dad and sMom on their anniversary and they invited me out with their friends and my aunt and uncle. It was fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards