Outdoor Weddings

how late can you have a reception dinner?

I'm having my outdoor wedding July 20, I'm needing suggestions on what time to start ceremony so that dinner is not too late. The biggest problem is the heat. We live in south west Idaho and in July not only is it very hot but sunset is not till 9:30. We thought about 7:00 for ceremony, 7:30-8:30 appetizers while we did pictures and 8:45 dinner. Is that too late? We are getting as many pictures done before ceremony as we can with out my fiance and I seeing each other. I thought of moving everything up 1 hour, I'm just afraid our guests will roast with the summer heat. Any suggestions?

Re: how late can you have a reception dinner?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_how-late-can-you-have-a-reception-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:328d831a-f32b-4395-aef6-18a438a46ae9Post:43a5c7f2-8562-4f7c-8825-0a1cb75b5ecc">how late can you have a reception dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having my outdoor wedding July 20, I'm needing suggestions on what time to start ceremony so that dinner is not too late. The biggest problem is the heat. We live in south west Idaho and in July not only is it very hot but sunset is not till 9:30. We thought about 7:00 for ceremony, 7:30-8:30 appetizers while we did pictures and 8:45 dinner. Is that too late? We are getting as many pictures done before ceremony as we can with out my fiance and I seeing each other. I thought of moving everything up 1 hour, I'm just afraid our guests will roast with the summer heat. Any suggestions?
    Posted by kellie011089[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I would be ok and plan my meals for that day accordingly, especially if I knew there was going to be a full dinner served.  But that is getting a bit late.  Keep in mind.....would dinner truly start at 8:45pm?  Or is there first dance, parent dances, toasts, speeches, etc.  That could eat up a portion of time.   <span style="font-size:11px;line-height:14px;">Is the ceremony outdoors and the reception indoors?  </span></div><div>
    </div>
  • We had our wedding in July in Ohio.  I imagine they're very similar, weather wise.

I would move everything up 1-1.5 hours.  8:45 is very late to eat, even if you try to plan your meals accordingly.  The heat will be there despite an hour or two difference.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • We are getting married July 13 th in Idaho. Our ceremony is starting at 6 with dinner at 645. We are having coverings/tents and makeing the programs into fans
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards