Louisiana-New Orleans

Marriage License - Does Officiant Have to be Ordained in Orleans

To be eligible for the waiver of the 72-hour requirement, does the officiant have to be ordained in Orleans parish?  Our minister is ordained in East Baton Rouge.  Would that work?

Re: Marriage License - Does Officiant Have to be Ordained in Orleans

• edited December 2011
    Sarah,  I keep thinking about this...where is the marriage license from?  Baton Rouge or Orleans?
  • edited December 2011

The license will be from Orleans, but our officiant is from Baton Rouge.  We live in NC and won't be arriving in New Orleans until less than 72 hours before the wedding.  I'm just wondering if an officiant ordained in a different parish can waive Orleans' 72 hour requirement.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• edited December 2011
    I would just call these people, the marriage license office on Commons, they were super kind and walked me through everything: (504) 568-3620
    Also, just a note- since I got down a day ahead of my husband (then fiancee) the week of our wedding.  If all else fails, you both do not have to go to the office to get the license- just one of you can go, you just need the other's documents.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!  I called the number and learned that my minister does not have to be ordained in Orleans Parish to waive the 72-hour requirement.  He only needs to be registered to perform ceremonies in Orleans. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yay!!  Crisis averted!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards