Honeymoon Discussions

Portugal!!

We're going to Portugal for our honeymoon!  Neither of us has been there before - we'll be in Lisbon for about 5 days and then spend a week at the beach in the Algarve region.  Have any of you traveled there before?  Any recommendations?  I'm a pescetarian (vegetarian who eats seafood), so I'm particularly interested in restaurant recommendations!

Re: Portugal!!

• DH and I visited Portugal last summer. We didn't make it to the Algarve, but we stayed in Lisbon and then also at a b & b in the Sintra region. I have a TON of posts on our time there but in Lisbon I definitely recommend the following-pasteis de nata (delicious custard treat), visiting attractions in the Belem area, Castelo de Sao Jorge and also trying ginginja (a cherry flavored liquor).

As for restaurants, you will have no problem locating seafood places. Bacalao (cod) is big there and it's said that there are over 300 ways of preparing it.

I would also recommend taking a day trip to Sintra-in the mountains, vast attractions (a lot of historic palaces to choose from).

http://www.theredheadedtraveler.com/2012/10/portugals-monument-to-discoveries.html

(I have more links at the bottom)

Enjoy, it's a terrific country!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • @CMGr and @phillychica85 - thanks for the tips - the ginginja sounds super yummy!!  And the comment on your blog about prices being more like Eastern Europe is certainly welcome news!!
  • When is your honeymoon?? We are also going to Portugal, spending 5 days in Lisbon, 3 in Porto, and 3 on Sao Miguel in the Azores. We're leaving July 1, so I'd be happy to send along any recommendations after our trip if you haven't left for your own yet! (I'm also a pescatarian, so I can give restaurant recs good for people like us, too!)
    "I finally realized that I didn't want to live in world that you weren't a part of. And that was hard to admit to myself, and not just because it ends in a preposition." Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @britthitched - We are practically honeymoon twins!  FI and I will also be there in July!!
  • @Gisellerina we will wave to you virtually from our honeymoons, congrats!!
    "I finally realized that I didn't want to live in world that you weren't a part of. And that was hard to admit to myself, and not just because it ends in a preposition." Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards