Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Venue searching-mind meltdown

I've been trying to do as much research prior to actually looking at some venues that way I don't spend what time I do have running around all over DFW and the surrounding areas. Thus far I have only seen Noah's in Irving, Bingham House in Mckinney, Fairy Tale Manor in Frisco. FH came with me to FTM, I went by myself to Noah's, and my mother came with me to BH. If anyone has any info, reviews, advice on the these other venues please help. My mind is just clustered with images, and addresses, and just everything. Guest count will be around 85-100. Alcohol a must. Minor DIY okay. Would prefer outside catering option, but not a dealbreaker. Would LOVE an outside ceremony option or even reception option. Dates are flexible. Would prefer a Saturday night but Friday is fine too depending on pricing. Budget, ideally with everything, would like to be under $10k no more than $12k. If it ends up being a more DIY venue would it be within budget to hire someone to do decor and such?

809 Vickery
Filter Building
The Windsor at Hebron Park
Artiside
Omni (either Fort Worth or Las Colinas)

FH prefers Fort Worth over Dallas.

Ladies please help :/ What few pictures I've seen for 809 it seems hit and miss about how it looks. I don't know why but I am more stressed about what my guests will think of the decor and venue and if they have fun as well as how many will actually show, more than anything else it seems; hence my determination about the perfect venue. BH was alright, it was my first venue to look at so I wasn't sure what all to expect. Noah's was nice inside but wasn't as large of a venue as I thought and didn't offer an outside ceremony option, however, the grooms suite would win FH over any day. Fairy Tale Manor was nice, but didn't care for the outdoor space due to the fact that it backed up to a neighborhood, plus FH already stated if our wedding ends fairly early he wants to go continue the party elsewhere and FTM has no nearby bars or hotels and BH doesn't really either. 

Re: Venue searching-mind meltdown

• Your requirements/preferences sound a lot like mine (although sounds like you're more budget constrained)-- I really liked Filter building & by the lake is gorgeous, but I was worried it would end up being more expensive due to the fact that I'd probably have to end up hiring some sort of planner/coordinator because it is completely DIY and I would need some help in that area. Part of what concerned me is *if* the weather is bad, we have to do the whole ceremony inside and would need to hire someone to deal with all that (set up, flipping the room, etc). Less DIY venues will take care of that for you (and it's not like the facility rental is $500; it is like $3,000). But if you are more clever I bet you can keep the costs lower. I know some other knotties did get married there & probably have much better insight than I do though.
  • edited May 2013

I am not familiar with all those venues, but I did strongly consider the Omni in Las Colinas because that is where we got engaged.  They do have an outdoor ceremony option, for which they quoted me 1500.  The trouble I think for your budget will be their food and beverage minimum.  We are having a Saturday brunch and they quoted me a 6,000 minimum for a Saturday brunch, which was not going to be in the actual ballroom but in their downstairs dining area....I would think their food and bev minimum would probably be at least 10,000 for a night time reception but I'm not sure. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • P.S. - I think the food will be the part most important to most guests.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have to say, as a guest, I have never cared about food at a wedding. JMHO.

I just saw a wedding at 809 Vickery that was really pretty https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.575320242502349.1073741833.353620934672282&type=1 

A coordinator is sometimes not as expensive as you think they are and are worth their weight in Gold. cwaggoner's coordinator Jen Ashford with Altar Ego would be an excellent value. 

The Fort Worth YWCA or Stonegate Mansion might be other venues that you consider in Fort Worth. 
  • We've had lots of Knotties get married at the Filter Building and every wedding is beautiful.  But you will most certainly need a Day of Coordinator--Jen with Altar Egos has done many there.  I think they also have a few restrictions on what you can do with decor.

The Omni will do everything for you and you won't have to worry about a thing.  You will have an on-site hotel/bar for your guests, and a lovely suite to get ready in, and probably stay in that night for free.  I had a hotel wedding and I loved it, but it's not the most budget-friendly option out there.  However, you get alot for your money.

I don't know much about the others.  Artside looks beautiful on the internet.  809 Vickery appears to be a blank slate much like The Filter Building.  My advice would be to read reviews on Wedding Wire and if you can't rule any of them out, to just go and tour them.  You can look at venues for weeks on the internet--best to narrow it down to a few that really grab you and go see them.  You can also email the venues for price lists, etc. and you might be able to rule some out that way as well.

• I'm having my wedding at 809 at Vickery, and have a similar budget as yours.. I fell in love with the pictures that showed all the candles, lanterns and up lighting. In terms or hit or miss, I think it depends on how you decorate, but honestly with the lights and lanterns they have plus bringing in some uplights, I don't think you can go wrong. I do know they're booking fast for next spring. Also, I'm working with a pretty affordable wedding planner that is a friend of a friend. She's doing a lot of planning for me at an affordable cost. I'd be happy to pass along her info if you're interested,
  • cmmadison said:
    I'm having my wedding at 809 at Vickery, and have a similar budget as yours.. I fell in love with the pictures that showed all the candles, lanterns and up lighting. In terms or hit or miss, I think it depends on how you decorate, but honestly with the lights and lanterns they have plus bringing in some uplights, I don't think you can go wrong. I do know they're booking fast for next spring. Also, I'm working with a pretty affordable wedding planner that is a friend of a friend. She's doing a lot of planning for me at an affordable cost. I'd be happy to pass along her info if you're interested,
    We are open for our date. We are considering either April or November of next year. As far as a wedding planner goes would that include making/setting up decor? I would be interested. :)
  • @melissadavis0226 my coordinator ended up making half of our table decorations.  We had pretty minimal decor, but she and her team did set it up.  She's definitely not what I would call "budget," but she was worth every penny and H and I are still friends with her.  =)
    Anniversary

• Feel free to reach out to Catherine. She'll do anything from day-of to full planning. So far, she's been great for me. http://www.catherineballevents.com/
  • Hi! I had my wedding at the Filter Building, and the only issue would be that the ceremony is weather depending. However, Jen Ashford, my coordinator, had created a backup plan the week before, since there was a chance of rain. I think most coordinators would have that handled. I would have been disappointed, but it wouldn't have been a hassle for me. 
    The Filter Building is pretty restrictive with wall decor, but we just did what we could with the tables and let the scenery speak for itself. Everyone was so complimentary of the space, but it was more about the venue and the lake, and less about our decor. I truly feel that it doesn't need much to be beautiful. 
    If you have any questions at all, I'd be happy to answer. When it came down to it, I was just so incredibly happy with the venue. 
    My pics are in my siggy if you click on the 'Today was a Fairytale'.
  • I spoke to FH about the idea of a modern building set up for a venue and he likes the idea because he works in construction and likes architecture. So at this point I've tried showing him past wedding photos of various buildings like Filter Building, 809 at Vickery and Event 1013, but it's hard to get him to show interest because he wants to physically see the building. Me personally, I have to see what people have done with the building before to sort of have an idea of its' potential for a wedding. So frustrating. I am willing to do some DIY for centerpieces and whatnot, but again like I stated I would prefer not to have to do everything and not to have to ask my family friends to do anything. :/
  • I absolutely love a place called La Beaux Chateau in The Lewisville area. My wedding is too big to have it there, but your wedding size is perfect for it. they have a closet full of nice vases, candle holders, etc. that can help you DIY your centerpieces, and you can choose any caterer that ou want. It's got a cute chapel on site. You should look into it.
  • My daughter just got married in October last year at http://www.mckinneycottonmill.com/ and used the outdoor space for the ceremony and cocktail hour and indoors for the reception. We hired www.paparazziglam.com or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paparazzi-Glam-Decor-Rentals/184787378225038?ref=hl for the event planning and decorations and she got us under our $15,000 budget to about $12,500 give or take a little. I definitely suggest that you contact them to schedule a consultation and see what she can find for you. We basically told her what we could afford, what we wanted in a venue and she narrowed it down to 3 choices for us.

Also, they own vases, candelabras, etc...and she added that to the package so we only paid for flowers which they can also handle the centerpieces! Good luck dear, I know it's stressful but once you lock down the venue it's a piece of cake from there :-)

• Hi there, I am getting married at the Omni Hotel in Fort Worth June 29 and I loved everything they had to offer for us. It is only a wedding party of 50 people and our budget for the hotel was 5000. They do everything with inside the budget. The nice thing is this includes all the food, alcohol, ceremony room and wedding coordinating. We do not have to worry about anything except for the flowers and cakes being delivered.
    When I was married before I got married at the YWCA downtown Fort Worth. That is absolutely beautiful and you can bring in all of your own food and alcohol and it was very affordable. Upstairs for your reception is more than enough room for 150-200 people there is a stage in a dance floor. Walking down the aisle coming down the stairs first is wonderful.
  • flipp9flipp9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
  • The ladies at 809 at Vickery seem hard to get in touch with, which bothers me. I'm now leaning more towards The Orchard at Azle, The Windsor at Hebron are my top interested ones based on pictures from various weddings, possibly Artiside. Any thoughts on either of these three? I know previously stated that The Orchard is a bit of a drive and there are some back roads. The Windsor at Hebron is actually a five minute drive from my work, but probably 20-30 minutes for everyone else. Artiside I've seen the outside but not the inside but I think they have preferred catering services as well as the Windsor at Hebron does. FH and I would prefer to pick our own food vendor, but it's not a deal breaker.
  • To be honest, I think having a list of preferred caterers is the way to go. You are guaranteed that they are familiar with the venue and don't need much hand-holding. When we met with our caterer, they set us up like they had with other weddings, and I really didn't have to do any work. Plus there are so many caterers out there, I was happy to have a starting point. 

As for the distance, I live in Dallas, and I have a friend who lives in Frisco, and she got married in Denton. Most of her friends live in Dallas/Frisco, so it was about an hour drive for everyone. It sucked getting there, but at the end of the night almost everyone was still there, since you drive all that way, you don't want to duck out early. We got married IN Dallas and some of our friends left early to go out and meet up with friends later, so our crowd was slimmed down at the end of the night. It didn't really bother me, but I definitely noticed the difference at the Denton wedding.

Those are just some of my opinions, take them for what they're worth. :)
  • ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Just a few thoughts on 809 Vickery (if you're still considering it): We really disliked the location. It was in kind of an industrial area, and we just felt like the views to other buildings across the street, etc. weren't very pleasing to the eye. Of course, that's really subjective (and if we had loved the venue we probably wouldn't have let it hinder us), but just my two cents. Maybe check out the street view on google maps. Also, keep in mind that the outdoor area is strictly dirt/sand - no grass. Kinda sucky to have to be walking around out there in your dress that you probably paid almost a grand for. JMO. 

My friend is getting married at The Orchard this September. It seems a little far, but we'll probably just get a hotel for the night. That's all to say that those who want to be there (and those who you really care about being there) will probably be there for the bitter end, regardless of location. Will it be a little less convenient? Probably. But personally, I would never let location dictate how late I would stay at a wedding. If I want to be there, I'll make it work.
    Anniversary
  • ejheart said:
    Just a few thoughts on 809 Vickery (if you're still considering it): We really disliked the location. It was in kind of an industrial area, and we just felt like the views to other buildings across the street, etc. weren't very pleasing to the eye. Of course, that's really subjective (and if we had loved the venue we probably wouldn't have let it hinder us), but just my two cents. Maybe check out the street view on google maps. Also, keep in mind that the outdoor area is strictly dirt/sand - no grass. Kinda sucky to have to be walking around out there in your dress that you probably paid almost a grand for. JMO. 

My friend is getting married at The Orchard this September. It seems a little far, but we'll probably just get a hotel for the night. That's all to say that those who want to be there (and those who you really care about being there) will probably be there for the bitter end, regardless of location. Will it be a little less convenient? Probably. But personally, I would never let location dictate how late I would stay at a wedding. If I want to be there, I'll make it work.

I agree about if you want to be there and if you care then you'd stay till the end. I haven't driven out there, although someone I used to work with has been to a wedding there and she lived out in south Arlington. I mean I could foresee going to The Orchard and then having a hotel in downtown Fort Worth. I'm still considering (to some extent) Noah's. But I still think the Aristide and The Windsor at Hebron are still contenders, they aren't too far out in terms of driving for anyone. 
  • So I scratched out Aristide. Their minimum was more than our budget not including the venue pricing itself. :/

So now I'm thinking I am down to

-Noah's in Irving
    -The Orchard in Azle
    -The Windsor at Hebron Park
  • My advice is the same:  go see them in person.  Three is a good number to have narrowed it down to.
  • What about the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens? I know this would probably work within our budget. The only thing that makes me a bit apprehensive is that my FI was previously married. And I recently found out through a friend of my FI's who is still friends with her, that she is engaged again and will be getting married there. Would it be too weird if we got married there to? Even though they don't have anything to do with one another?
  • Ask your FI to be sure, but I don't think it should matter.  If you and the other couple were members of the same church, you'd both want to get married there without regard for the other, KWIM?  Your weddings will be separate events.  As long as you're not like, wedding-stalking each other trying to outdo one another!
    Anniversary

• I did the same thing and am still having the MELTDOWN but it is easier since I created my spreadsheet. Now I can see what all information that I have going for me that I need to know and it is making the decisions much easier. It is still hard but that is because of the budget and head count of people. So hopefully that helps. Make a spreadsheet of all the places and go from there. Good luck!
    I've been trying to do as much research prior to actually looking at some venues that way I don't spend what time I do have running around all over DFW and the surrounding areas. Thus far I have only seen Noah's in Irving, Bingham House in Mckinney, Fairy Tale Manor in Frisco. FH came with me to FTM, I went by myself to Noah's, and my mother came with me to BH. If anyone has any info, reviews, advice on the these other venues please help. My mind is just clustered with images, and addresses, and just everything. Guest count will be around 85-100. Alcohol a must. Minor DIY okay. Would prefer outside catering option, but not a dealbreaker. Would LOVE an outside ceremony option or even reception option. Dates are flexible. Would prefer a Saturday night but Friday is fine too depending on pricing. Budget, ideally with everything, would like to be under $10k no more than $12k. If it ends up being a more DIY venue would it be within budget to hire someone to do decor and such?

809 Vickery
    Filter Building
    Artiside

Ladies please help :/ What few pictures I've seen for 809 it seems hit and miss about how it looks. I don't know why but I am more stressed about what my guests will think of the decor and venue and if they have fun as well as how many will actually show, more than anything else it seems; hence my determination about the perfect venue. BH was alright, it was my first venue to look at so I wasn't sure what all to expect. Noah's was nice inside but wasn't as large of a venue as I thought and didn't offer an outside ceremony option, however, the grooms suite would win FH over any day. Fairy Tale Manor was nice, but didn't care for the outdoor space due to the fact that it backed up to a neighborhood, plus FH already stated if our wedding ends fairly early he wants to go continue the party elsewhere and FTM has no nearby bars or hotels and BH doesn't really either. 

• I did the same thing and am still having the MELTDOWN but it is easier since I created my spreadsheet. Now I can see what all information that I have going for me that I need to know and it is making the decisions much easier. It is still hard but that is because of the budget and head count of people. So hopefully that helps. Make a spreadsheet of all the places and go from there. Good luck!

809 Vickery
    Filter Building
    Artiside

I actually started a template for a spreadsheet at work but haven't plugged in the various info I have collected thus far. FI thinks I'm crazy for doing so, I think it just makes for better decision making once I get all the info plugged in.

professorscience: I have mentioned it to him to see what his thoughts were and he didn't say much. Although I highly doubt that's the place we will choose, I just thought it would still be something to consider. Her and I have never met one another, but FI still has a friend that is friends with both him and her. I mentioned this scenario to my mom, and she mentioned, "If you had picked a place and put your deposit down, and then later found out that she happened to be getting married there too, would you change your mind and go elsewhere?" Which is very true. Plus FW Botanical Gardens has many places to pick from in any case. I just thought it might be weird for him knowing she got married there too or something. Or maybe I'm just over thinking everything to begin with.

When deciding on your venue did you hesitate before deciding or did you just KNOW that that was the place you wanted to get married?
  • I actually put down a deposit on a venue then forfeited said deposit once I found another venue that worked. However, venue was not high on my priority list. Our low budget dictated most of my choices, and when I put everything in my spreadsheet (including the cost of renting items that other venues included), I chose my venue based on location and overall cost. 

You will always second guess yourself. One year AFTER my wedding, I still second guess myself. At the end of the day, choose a venue where you can truly enjoy your day- this is what it is most about. When I think about my wedding, I think about the memories, not the place. 
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013

I was lucky.  I knew where we would get married as soon as we knew it would fit our guest list:  the hotel where we went for drinks on our first date and continued to go to through the 3 years we dated.  It was "our place" and it was perfect for us to get married there.  We didn't really seriously consider any other venue.

The botanical gardens are lovely but I don't know much about them.  Make sure you have a Plan B for weather.  And I still say go see the others before you consider more. 

• Find someplace that is uniquely YOU! Good luck! 
  • Went with FI to go look at Noah's today. He really liked it actually. And not just because of the groom's room. He liked the modern look. So while at dinner and discussing the other places I had in mind (The Orchard in Azle, The Windsor at Hebron Park, The Milestone) I showed him some photos of these. He states he didn't like the Milestone based on it's "old" look..the Orchard he thinks might be too far and too hard to navigate for people directionally challenged, such as my mom. And the Windsor he didn't say much. So I guess now, to make him happy and liking it, are there any other "modern" looking places other than Noah's?

He thinks we should just go ahead with them and stop looking; I however, think we should look at least at a few more..he's only seen two!
  • I think I agree with your FI.  You don't want to overwhelm yourself.  DH and I saw three venues in person and made our decision pretty easily based on that.  If he really likes it and you really like it, then it's the place for you!
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards