Pre-wedding Parties

need ideas for an activity before wedding

My SIL is getting married at a beautiful mountain resort this September. It's a four day affair. The guys are going golfing on Thursday. I'm trying to find a comparable activity for the girls to do (about 5-10 of us). The caveat is that it's a SMALL moutnain town. There is no spa or salon. There is no one that can come to the property and do our nails. SIL does not want to leave the property and go far, so that takes away activities in the next closest towns like wineries. Physical things like horseback riding and hiking are out because of the physical limitations of some of our group members.

I am feeling really stuck! About the only thing I can come up with is a picnic in a meadow-with champagne maybe. Any ideas???

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: need ideas for an activity before wedding

• Oof, those are some pretty substantial limitations, and they definitely knock out all my first ideas.  (I'm kinda stuck on the idea of a resort that doesn't have any sort of spa services!)  Have you looked into the resort at all to see what they can offer?  Maybe they have a pretty space you could use to have a brunch or a tea or something? 
  • Maybe resort isn't the right word-estate is probably better. We're renting out the entire property, which include a main house and all the guest rooms and cottages. They have a wedding and reception venue and banquet services on site, but no restaurant/golf etc-The boy's golf is not on site.

A brunch/tea would be great, but we have already contracted all the meals so we're having lunch there regardless (along with the rest of the wedding party, family, etc).

All I can think of is bringing in some local craftsman to teach us a skill? Painting? Yoga? Croquet?

Ugh...

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sorry....I've got nothing. PP is right; those are pretty limiting circumstances. Having someone come in might work, depending on the group. I personally hate "activities" like that and would rather just lounge outside. Is there a lake or anything?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Okay, so SIL (the bride) doesn't want to go. What's preventing the other 4-10 people from going to a winery tour and having some fun?

Do you all have to sit around and hold the bride's hand? Personally, not leaving the property is a bit of an unreasonable request IMHO.

She only gets one day for her wedding. I totally don't think it's out of line for the other ladies to get out and about if you want.

• can you bring facial/mani/pedi supplies with you and stay at the resort?  Watch some chick flicks and have some champagne/drinks; give facials, paint your nails, etc.

I agree though that if the bride does not want to go out, she does not have to, but it also should not prevent others from going out if they would like to.  She cannot hold you hostage.  

Anniversary

• erinlin25 said:
    can you bring facial/mani/pedi supplies with you and stay at the resort?  Watch some chick flicks and have some champagne/drinks; give facials, paint your nails, etc.

Totally love this idea! It's relaxing, and you could do board games, wine and cheese, or even a cocktail mixer... If the bride says go off and do your own thing, great, but if she wants people around, but just to relax - no harm in doing a girls afternoon in.
  • I have a friend who hosted a handwriting analysis party using Skype - so, all that you would need is an Internet connection and access to smart phones.  Hopefully, the estate has a wireless Internet that's reliable. You hand write a message, send it to her via email  and this woman tells you about your personalities based on your handwriting.  It's a blast and you can do this long distance.

Her web site is InkPsychic.com  Good for an afternoon with the girls!
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Why not bring supplies to do your own wine or beer tasting? Or, even though you've already contracted the meals, maybe you could do an onsite cooking or vegetable/fruit carving class. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards