October 2013 Weddings

Card Boxes

Just curious what everyone is doing for the cards?  Are you doing a box, or something unique, etc?

Re: Card Boxes

• Going with a birdcage, cause I actually already own one. It doesn't lock or anything and is not designed to be a cardholder, but it's free!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I love free.  That's what I'm running through my head on what we or my mom already has so it would be free.
  • I purchased a glass and wrought iron lantern with a little door on it for cards. It works with our theme plus i can use it in the apartment afterwards as a candle holder
  • My dad is making a wooden chest for our card box with a hinged lid.  We're going to put cards in it for the wedding, and after the wedding, it's where I plan on storing all the wedding mementos; my bouquet, his bout, and anything emotionally significant to me.
  • I was thinking maybe an old piece of luggage? (not like lame luggage, but something that looks vintage-y)
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• I'm recreating our alma mater's big bass drum. (It's the world's largest, ladies. It's kind of a big deal.) If you watched the Macy's Day parade in 2010 you'll know what I'm talking about. We (yes, we, I'm a closet band nerd) were the lead band! (FH is not a band nerd. He was in choir. I am only slightly ashamed, but then he serenades me, and I am completely unashamed again.)
  • My dad is making a wooden chest for our card box with a hinged lid.  We're going to put cards in it for the wedding, and after the wedding, it's where I plan on storing all the wedding mementos; my bouquet, his bout, and anything emotionally significant to me.
    This is exactly what we are doing.  FI made the box already and is painting it up all nice.  When the wedding is over, we will use it for wedding storage and chuck it in a closest till our kids want to see or until I want to lay around and remember the day.  I tried to attach a picture of the box but for some reason it says "uploading" and it never actually attaches.  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • I'm using a card box that my sil made...we have similar colors and its free and im lazy..I will post pics later
  • Right now we're planning on using an antique birdcage that I already use for decoration in the house (I'm big into re-purposing because I would have no use for the cardbox after the fact...)  It would work with our venue and our more rustic/vintage vibe we've got going on. 

I've also seen this box at both Kohls and TJ Maxx.  But we'd need to leave it open or remove one of the glass panes, otherwise I fear someone smashing their fingers or dropping the lid and the glass shattering.

• @lplions - Isn't Big Bertha @ UT the world's biggest bass drum?  Or, are you recreating her?  :)

Sorry...my brain is a little broke this morning so I'm probably not speaking clearly. 
  • @lplions - Isn't Big Bertha @ UT the world's biggest bass drum?  Or, are you recreating her?  :)

Sorry...my brain is a little broke this morning so I'm probably not speaking clearly. 
    You're killing me, @shaylagirl. But, I'll forgive you....... No. UT, Mizzou, all of the other "big drums" are simply ripping off the original BBD (big bass drum). The original would be from my alma mater: Purdue University. (Go Boilers!!)

Here's where I am right now with the box (plus the actual box part is painted the yellow-gold of the drum).
  • After all of this talk about card boxes yesterday, I went back to Kohls to use my 30% off coupon and got this:

It was $70, on sale 55% off, then I had $20 Kohls cash and the 30% off coupon, so in the end it was $8.60. 

I'm going to tap one of the glass panes on the lid out and remove the cross pieces of wood to form a slot, that way it can stay closed, rather than have everyone open and close it as they go.
  • @SimplyMe I love that box.  I'm gonna have to check out the Kohls around here.  The only negative is that I don't shop there enough to get the bucks and coupons.

@Alisonmarie, perfect gif.
  • I think Kohl's over-inflates prices so that you feel like you're getting an amazing deal.  I tell FI, I will never pay full price there, because there's never a reason to! I bought my BM's each a necklace and saved $300 over the retail price... sure...

@Alisonmarie, I love that gif!!!
  • lplions said:
    @lplions - Isn't Big Bertha @ UT the world's biggest bass drum?  Or, are you recreating her?  :)

You're killing me, @shaylagirl. But, I'll forgive you....... No. UT, Mizzou, all of the other "big drums" are simply ripping off the original BBD (big bass drum). The original would be from my alma mater: Purdue University. (Go Boilers!!)

Here's where I am right now with the box (plus the actual box part is painted the yellow-gold of the drum).
    @lplions - SORRY!  Don't die!!  :)  You just gotta understand, Texans have trouble wrapping their minds around anyone having something bigger than what we've got!  :)  And, I just wiki'd both (because, Wiki is ALWAYS right, right?  :|) and both drums have pretty cool histories!

All that aside, I think your idea is SO novel and cool!!  :)  I cannot WAIT to see it all together!  Plus, how do you paint so neatly? 
  • FI found a wedding band he liked on Kohls.com, 14kt white gold with milgrain detail.  Regular price $2100.  FI was like, nope, no way, you're not paying that.  Of course I wouldn't.  Waited two weeks, it went on sale for 70% off, 30% off coupon code, used ebates.com to get 6% back and got $120 in Kohls cash.  Ended up with his band for around $400.   Which he was happy with.  Truth be told I would have spent much more if needed, I wanted to get him the band that he loved. 
  • @SimplyMe, that's crazy for the band to initially cost $2100, I guess that's more proof that they really inflate their prices.  I think my band with the diamonds and all that jazz was $699, there about.

@alisonmarie, we had to register at Kohls because it's in my town and I have family members that don't have internet (shocking I know).  I know there are people though who can rock their sales and bucks and coupons so they can get great deals, but I never think to do that.  I love to bargain shop, but I have to be in the mood to shop, that stuff takes way too much planning.  I'm a planner but not in that way at all, wish I was.
  • @shaylagirl I cheated, and made a stencil for myself, then I traced the stencil onto the cardboard. And then used a teeny brush. If you look close at it you can see it's not nearly as neat as you think it is from far away. (which is why I took a picture from farther away, haha!)

I think I'll work on that some more this weekend.
  • @AlisonMarie, we also did B&B and Target.  Like you said B&B cause they have so many options.  We did Target because we got a $20 g/c if we registered at least 10 items there.  So we registered for games and camping stuff, so fun stuff.  My hometown is semi in the middle of no where so they don't have a Target or a B&B.
  • How do you get the $20? I'll set up a registry with 10 items for $20.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Got something in the mail from Target.  You could check online and see if they have the promotion.
  • @Alisonmarie, I was trying to convince FI about the grill too, but like you no where to put it.  

We are big in to board games.  Have you ever played Mexican Train?  It's a family favorite of FI's side.  He taught the game to my family and now they all play, it's a bit crazy and funny how much everyone got in to it.  
  • @Alisonmarie658, yes mexican train is a dominoes game.  Glad to hear you like it.  
  • I love playing games and we don't have any friends who do - it's so sad!

Have you ever played Cards Against Humanity? SOOOOOO FUN!

image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• @hardlyhannah, you need to move closer to NY or come out for a visit.  Our group of friends are hugely in to games, even have a standing game night every Wednesday to break up the week.

Cards Against Humanity is one of our go to weekend games with the one group of friends.  It's even on the must have camping list.
  • My Fiance and I worked and built our card box together our theme is old broadway/hollywood kinda so we built a chest/trunck kinda like a costume trunk then gonna add a top hat and invites and write on it bc we painted the black parts with chalkboard paint :) we will keep it after to keep stuff in
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards