Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower - Games & Guests...

My first thought was that I did not want to have a "traditional" bridal shower. I wanted to have a nice sit-down lunch with a group of friends/family and not have the pressures of silly games and the hour-long process of opening gifts.

Then, I found out that this notion would completely offend my fiance's side of the family. His mom and sister were very upset about the notion of not have a full-out bridal shower.

Is there a good way to "meet-in-the-middle"?

P.S. My fiance's side of the family has approx. 33 women & girl guests (his mom gave me a guest list). She also said she would help pay for the shower.

Re: Bridal Shower - Games & Guests...

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Well, you don't host your own shower or really decide much of what goes on.

You can express your prefrences to your hostess(es), but they ultimately decide how the whole day goes.

If you've agreed to accept a bridal shower, to a certain extent, you have to "suck it up" and do the gift opening and maybe games.

You can always graciously decline a shower.

• Usually the bride does not plan the showers. Bridal showers are sometimes more for friends and family. they want to be part of the wedding process an play all the silly games with you. Be thankful that people care about you and want to take the time to celebrate and be silly with you.
  • If you have a bridal shower you have to open the gifts. The point of the party is to "shower" you with gifts so if you don't open them it kind of defeats the purpose. You could possibly compromise by having a lunch and opening gifts, but not playing games.
  • itzMS said:

Well, you don't host your own shower or really decide much of what goes on.

You can express your prefrences to your hostess(es), but they ultimately decide how the whole day goes.

If you've agreed to accept a bridal shower, to a certain extent, you have to "suck it up" and do the gift opening and maybe games.

You can always graciously decline a shower.

This. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Your could also mention to your host that you'd prefer to have have a bridal luncheon where gifts are not expected. This is assuming they ask for your input. If your host is set on an actual shower, you only have the choice to decline the shower or let them do what they want. If your host has people bring gifts, you will have to open them in front of everyone. They can definitely leave out the games. They are in no way required.
  • SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    I guess throughout the planning process my mom and one of my BM's wanted to have a whole afternoon of games.....thankfully, my sister shot that down real fast because she knew I didn't want that.  We played 1 game, bridal bingo during gift opening.  Honestly, we probably didn't even really need that, every was socializing throughout the whole shower and it worked out really well.
  • You can express to some extent what your feelings are in regards to how the shower is planned (ie, limited games and no sit-down meal) but other than that, be a gracious guest of honor.  Your friends and family just want to celebrate with you in a positive way.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards