Chit Chat

Thank God for the little things

I hate cold-sores - I've been getting them off and on since I was little.  This weekend, I got hit with four of them, which makes me cranky, BUT my FI is far away and he can't see them over Skype.  So they suck, but he can't see them and doesn't have to avoid kissing me.  So they came at a good time . . .
Any little things that anyone else is grateful for? 

Re: Thank God for the little things

• talk to your doctor. I get cold sores also.  Every female in my family does and my doctor said they can actually be somewhat hereditary.  I have a prescription that is typically used for folks who have genital herpes.  When I first feel that tiny tingle on my lip, I pop a few of the pills, and the sore never actually gets full blown blistery.  It's a wonder drug.

• cmgilpin - I'm betting my DH has that exact same prescription.  He gets the quite severely a few times a year and he has to catch it as soon as he feels the tingle.  It IS a wonder drug.
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I don't get them too often, but I'm overseas right now, so I'm just going to wait it out.  Doctors can be very expensive when you are out of your own country.  But I've heard about those pills that you take for them - they are supposed to be amazing.  Usually I've just used a cold sore cream, and it doesn't really do much.

• d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    cmgilpin said:

talk to your doctor. I get cold sores also.  Every female in my family does and my doctor said they can actually be somewhat hereditary.  I have a prescription that is typically used for folks who have genital herpes.  When I first feel that tiny tingle on my lip, I pop a few of the pills, and the sore never actually gets full blown blistery.  It's a wonder drug.

Cold sores are Herpes Simplex One. They are not hereditary; meaning, they are not an inherited part of your genetic make up. It is a virus. However, if your parents have them, you will have them. They are extremely contagious. By the time you are college school age, you have come in contact with the virus. Some have the occasional break out; consequently, others are asymptomatic (without symptoms). Both are carriers, though. 

----Herpes simplex virus type 1 is transmitted by kissing or close contact, often in childhood. The initial infection is frequently asymptomatic, but the virus remains dormant in the body. When activated by stress, trauma, or another infection (such as a common cold), the virus migrates along the nerve to the skin or mucosa around the mouth, causing a burning or stinging sensation at the site, which is followed by development of vesicles(blisters) as the virus reproduces and causes necrosis of the host cells. These blisters rupture, leaving a shallow, painful ulcer, which releases a clear fluid containing many organisms and then crusts over. The lesions heal spontaneously in 7-10 days, when the virus again migrates along the trigeminal nerve to the sensory ganglion, where it enters a latent stage. Recurrences are common. The virus is often in the saliva for some time after the vesicle has healed. No cure is available; however, it may be alleviated by prompt use of antiviral mediations, decreasing the shedding of the virus, the risk of transmisssion, and the discomfort.
  • d2vad2va member
    Also, OP if you currently have 4 cold sores I would definetly look in to getting at least a bottle of valtrex, or generic so that you can start taking the pills at first sign. 

It will make you feel better as the medicine will stop it in its tracks. 
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    Everything here in the drug store is in Dutch, so I don't feel comfortable getting any medication right now.  I don't even know if they have valtrex.  I bought a bottle of aspirin and didn't read it right and ended up with crazy strong stuff instead of regular.  Living in another country is fun at times, but not when you want to get some normal medication. 

• d2vad2va member
    kerbohl said:
    Everything here in the drug store is in Dutch, so I don't feel comfortable getting any medication right now.  I don't even know if they have valtrex.  I bought a bottle of aspirin and didn't read it right and ended up with crazy strong stuff instead of regular.  Living in another country is fun at times, but not when you want to get some normal medication. 
    Sorry, youre post about being abroad didn show up until I looked via mobile - very confusing. 

Yeah that does suck! Next time you come back to the states visit your doctor and either get valtrex or the generic which is called : valacyclovir.

• kerbohlkerbohl member
    Okay, I'll ask my doctor about it!  I'm just so happy that FI isn't anywhere near me while I've got these.  He tends to be a little forgetful.  Once he had a really bad cold and didn't want to kiss me because he didn't want to pass it on, and he kept going in for a kiss and then remembering and backing off.  It was humorous, but also made him a bit of a tease . . .

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards