Wedding Woes

planning a wedding around elder family

So my Fiance lives with his Gma who just turned 95. I'm in the process of moving in with them. She is his ONLY family. We obviously want her to be involved in the wedding and the planning. But the reality is that she is 95, has cancer and heart issues. We don't know how long she will be with us.

I'm fighting my fears now that we set a date for next March (our preference) and risk something happening to her and how we (especially he) will handle it.

I want to plan and enjoy the planning process but right now, I'm just too afraid to set a date. Crazy?

Re: planning a wedding around elder family

• I don't think it's crazy to have those fears when dealing with someone that's 95. If I were in your shoes, I would move up the date. It sounds like having her there is important to both of you.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm worried as well with my 92 year old grandmother, and my fiance's 98 year old grandfather as well. My thoughts- set your date, if it looks like she's taking a turn for the worse, you can do a small civil ceremony with her there and still have your big day for everyone else. 
  • I'd move up the wedding date if you know you want her there.  I don't think you're crazy; no matter how painful, it's realistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards