Attire & Accessories Forum

How do you know if your dress is right for your venue??

Hello Brides!

I am getting married in CA in a beachside hotel. THe ceremony and reception will be outside on a deck over looking the ocean. I think I have THE dress...but after reading a post on another website, a bride commented that she didnt think the dress fit a beach venue. So, my question; Can you still wear a slightly more formal dress to a beach wedding??? 

I feel like my dress, Casablanca 2064, could be worn at ANY venue. Thoughts??

Re: How do you know if your dress is right for your venue??

• If you were getting married on the beach I would be a little concerned about the sand and all those layers, but you said it was on a deck so I think it's fine. It's your wedding day and the only time you'll get to wear a big poofy white dress so I say if you love it then go for it.
  • Thanks for your reply tammym1001 :)

I agree about the sand..I have been thinking of buying a second dress to change into after the ceremony/pictures because I definitely dont want to be at my reception with a dirty, wet dress!

( I may have to start another discussion about that issue!)
  • If you're just going to be on the beach for pictures you could always lift your dress up and then possibly have something you could lay down to put your train on when you're standing for pictures so it doesn't get too dirty. I'm sure you could also talk to the photographer about it. If they've one beach weddings before then I'm sure they would have suggestions to minimize the damage to your dress.
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    My sister just got married on the beach in a similar dress and it worked just fine. :)  Your dress will be just fine.
  • Thank you for your feedback!
  • I love this dress!  If you love it, go for it!
  • i'm planning a beach/outdoor wedding as well, and had the same concern about the sand, grass, etc... so in trying on dresses i kept this in mind, but was having so much fun that i agreed with everyone i was with and decided screw it! it's my wedding and i will look like a giant bedazzled cupcake if i want! so i say go for it! you're the bride and no one will judge you :)
  • Bustle that train and you're fine! It's a beautiful dress and it ABSOLUTELY fits your venue. Don't get another dress unless it's in your budget, or you want to do a dramatic wardrobe change. Sand won't ruin a beautiful gown like that.
  • I don't think that dress fits a beach wedding at all. It looks heavy, cumbersome, and difficult to manage on sand, and it sounds like you'll be on the sand for at least part of it. Beach wedding to me indicates something lighter, not really poufy, more relaxed.

Absolutely wear it if you want, but I don't think it goes with your venue.
  • The fabric is iridescent organza..it's actually NOT heavy at all. It is vert light and airy, and feels wonderful on. I can move easily in it. But I can see from the pic how it would look heavy ;)

I have tried on several chiffon dresses...and just was not feeling any of them. 
  • Some pics of our venue for a visual! 
  • I have seen this Casablanca in person and it is gorgeous, light and airy. I say since your wedding/reception are on the beach you should get it! I think it is beautiful and whimsical and just right for the type of wedding you're looking to have :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Your dress will work great for a balcony wedding. That is a very classy looking dress that I think would be at home almost anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards