Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Is your wedding date sentimental?

I didn't know where this would be most appropriate to post (as a result I will censor myself), but I just saw a post on my month board that intrigued me. One of the knotties chose to get married Sept. 8th 2012 because both her grandparents and parents were married on that day. (awww!! I loveeee that!)

I understand that a lot of brides decide on the year due to financial reasons, but I would like to know why you choose the month (and/or the day)

So...I'll start, I guess (you can play along)

I picked Sept. 7th because it was the first time we sexually "hooked up"

Re: Is your wedding date sentimental?

• I wanted April 14, 2012, because it's my grandparents' anniversary. But then he proposed a solid 6 months before I was expecting him to, and as of August 2011 I'll be a tax attorney, so between not wanting a long engagement and April 14 pretty much being the dumbest day ever for anyone in tax to get married, it was out. 

I'm getting married December 17, 2011 - it's the first date that my parents, sisters, and his parents can actually be in the same place and it not be a huge pain in the rear for one reason or another, so it was picked out of convenience. I wasn't at first, but now I'm excited about the Christmas wedding. 
  • as i am not officially engaged yet this is not by any means set in stone. if it is at all plausible i want to get married on june 23 as both of my sisters were married on that day. by coincidence, but as the last sister it would be nice to share my anniversary with both of them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-date-sentimental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c07769b2-7db1-41e1-b173-0d521e3ffdc8Post:8b938455-f6e5-40bb-931f-1d4a433ecc31">Re: Is your wedding date sentimental?</a>:
    [QUOTE]as i am not officially engaged yet this is not by any means set in stone. if it is at all plausible i want to get married on june 23 as both of my sisters were married on that day. by coincidence, but as the last sister it would be nice to share my anniversary with both of them.
    Posted by redheadtmk[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>My birthday is june 23, I must say, its the greatest day ever!! hahha good choice!</div>
  • Nope, no sentimental attachment to my date, which is August 20th. 

We wanted it in the summer so that we could use the beautiful outdoor patio that is attached to our hall.  All the dates earlier in the summer were booked at our venue.  I teach in the fall (after Labour day) so we wanted time to have the wedding, honeymoon, and settle back in before classes begin.
  • We actually set our date and then figured out a bit later that it was my parents anniversary, and they are divorced. ha.  we didnt mind.  its a popular time of year to get hitched to whatever.

• Our date, Dec 14, was chosen because it was the first Saturday after finals and we wanted to get married over Christmas break as we were still in college.  We realized later that the product of our uniform numbers is our wedding date
    (my2 x his 7 = 14).
  • March 16, 2013....because the 17th (st. patricks day) is a sunday and my FI is 100% irish.  We could have moved it to 2012 to have its Saturday the 17th but financially it wasnt the smartest move.  I have a boat load of Polish traditions in my family and his fmaily doesnt do anything special for weddings (in fact, hes the first one not getting married in the county couthouse) so we decided if he didnt have irish traditons we could use the most irish day of the year, or very close to it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is now that it's our anniversary.  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-date-sentimental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c07769b2-7db1-41e1-b173-0d521e3ffdc8Post:986216dd-ada3-448e-8d39-a27af18f98e4">Is your wedding date sentimental?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I picked Sept. 7th because it was the first time we sexually "hooked up"
    Posted by Brittany&Patrick[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I find this really odd.

I very much wanted to get married in April.  My plans were shot down when our venue didn't start offering something we really wanted until May 1st.

We picked a Thursday due to travel schedules (destination wedding) and my fiance wanted May 5th.  No real reasons beyond that.
  • Joy, I missed that part.  And I second that it's really odd.  OP:  do you tell people that reason when they ask why you chose your date?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We picked the date, Sept. 16th, and when I told my mom, she told me that it was her parents' wedding anniversary AND the day that my parents got engaged.  I feel honoured to share their special day :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-date-sentimental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c07769b2-7db1-41e1-b173-0d521e3ffdc8Post:52bd4277-2b8c-432d-a05e-74d5f7da1235">Re: Is your wedding date sentimental?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is your wedding date sentimental? : <strong> I'm sorry, but I find this really odd. </strong>I very much wanted to get married in April.  My plans were shot down when our venue didn't start offering something we really wanted until May 1st. We picked a Thursday due to travel schedules (destination wedding) and my fiance wanted May 5th.  No real reasons beyond that.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]
    That wasn't exactly the word I was going to use, but we'll go with that.  I don't know anyone who actually keeps track of that sort of thing...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We are getting married on my FMIL's birthday.  That wasn't a sentimental choice though.  We originally wanted 11/12/11 just because it seemed like a good Saturday in November (not too close to Thanksgiving, not his mom's bday), but the venue we loved had just been booked for that day.  So we opted to go with his mom's birthday rather than get too close to a holiday.
    Anniversary
  • We originally wanted to get married on our 2 year anniversary but fi's mom would not have been able to make it, so we had to push it back and now it's on the two year anniversary of our first kiss.
    Little one is here.
  • We are getting married New Year's Eve 2010.  He proposed at the end of September and neither of us wanted a long engagement or big wedding.  I wanted November (my birthday to be exact) and he wanted my birthday to always remain special as my birthday and not have to be shared.

So, we thought about December and decided on New Year's Eve.  It's fun and there's always a party somehwere if we choose to go out to celebrate. 

So we are having a New Year's Eve party a little after the reception.
  • We chose March 5th 2011 because it's the first weekend before Lent and we didn't want to wait until after Easter to get married lol (Catholic Church won't marry you during Lent)

• ::high five:: mgeitler.  I like that we have the same date :)
  • I'm not sure I would advertise my choice of date if it was because of some sexual "anniversary" ... then again, I never would have picked a date with sexually, erm, "sentimental" reasons in mind.

Anyway, our date was 01/01/10. We did not actually deliberately pick it, it "picked" us. We'd been engaged for a while (Well over a year at that point) and were tired of waiting. In mid-July 2009 we went to our venue and said "We want the very first available Friday night you have in 2010"-thinking they'de be booked up and we'd get a date in like March or something. It turned out the first day of the year (Which happened to be a Friday) was wide open.

It was technically exactly what we'd asked for, and it is a pretty cool date, so we went with it.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    We wanted a long weekend in the fall.  So we got Sept 4, 2011.

OP, that's random.  I don't know that I'd pick an anniversary that had anything to do with sex.  I don't know when we first "hooked up." Also, what does "sexually hooked up" mean exactly? Did you just give him a BJ on that day or what?

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-date-sentimental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c07769b2-7db1-41e1-b173-0d521e3ffdc8Post:1e5864be-e04a-4ab8-b6d0-e410ecc0578f">Re: Is your wedding date sentimental?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We wanted a long weekend in the fall.  So we got Sept 4, 2011. OP, that's random.  I don't know that I'd pick an anniversary that had anything to do with sex.  I don't know when we first "hooked up." Also, what does "sexually hooked up" mean exactly? Did you just give him a BJ on that day or what?
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

<div>my money's on dry humping.</div>
    Anniversary
  • We picked ours because it was sentimental to me.  Sept 3rd is my grandfather's bday and he was like a father to me so that's my little way of having him at the wedding.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-date-sentimental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c07769b2-7db1-41e1-b173-0d521e3ffdc8Post:e42e43c6-d4fe-40ce-a7e6-edf1059c7069">Re: Is your wedding date sentimental?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is your wedding date sentimental? : my money's on dry humping.
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]
    If this counts, I think I might have been sexually active waaay earlier than I thought. 
  • Our date (March 5th) is not sentimental.  I picked it for a few reasons: it is off wedding season so its cheaper, March is a boring month (at least in my family so I wanted something fun to happen), and to make a long story short- I wanted to celebrate an anniversary every 6ish months (August in when we started dating).

OP- I think the reason for your date is fun!  I shared all my sexual firsts (minus first kiss) with my FI and we celebrate the anniversary of each every year, it may seem odd but we enjoy it : )
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I didn't keep track of FI's and my sexual events - first kiss, first hookup... we have a blurry "dating anniversary" date since we didn't start dating with a "will you be my girlfriend?", things just sort of evolved.  And that's fine with me.  Dating anniversaries are overrated anyways.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-date-sentimental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c07769b2-7db1-41e1-b173-0d521e3ffdc8Post:c11b934c-2708-41b3-992f-e2fed60ecea6">Re: Is your wedding date sentimental?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our date (March 5th) is not sentimental.  I picked it for a few reasons: it is off wedding season so its cheaper, March is a boring month (at least in my family so I wanted something fun to happen), and to make a long story short- <strong>I wanted to celebrate an anniversary every 6ish months (August in when we started dating).</strong>

OP- I think the reason for your date is fun!  I shared all my sexual firsts (minus first kiss) with my FI and <strong>we celebrate the anniversary of each every year</strong>, it may seem odd but we enjoy it : )
    Posted by DanielleZZ[/QUOTE]
    DanielleZZ - once you get married to you plan to continue to celebrate your kiss anniversary, dating anniversary, AND wedding anniversary each year?
  • Our wedding date is actually my grandmother's birthday. So our anniversary will always share a special connection with her. 
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Hahahahha I'm sorry my reasonings seems odd to a lot of you, I can totally see where that would be weird to a lot of people. So let me clarify the weirdness. The day I originally wanted (7-7 or 9-26) didnt work out- they were in the middle of the week. So we went with the next best thing, Sept 7th

The reason why I know this date is because it was my first time having sex (hahha no dry humping or BJ on that occasion, sorry!) So that is why Sept. 7th is imbeded in my memory. Only my FI, BMs and mom know why this date is special, I just thought it would be fun to share with complete strangers and find out others reasons for picking the date you did. My girlfriend picked her date because she thought it would look best in cursive on an invition, to me that was odd, but to each their own.

Additionally, I must be a lot like Danielle because FI and I also share the anniversary of us first meeting (7-7-07 and will prob celebrate our engagement day 9-26). To me its not unusual to celebrate these days. My parents to this day, still celebrate the day they met, the day they got engaged, and their wedding anniversary.

To me celebrating these events just means we have more times in a year to have an excuse to go out to a great resturant, drink too much wine and laugh without us having calling it our typical weekly date-night. It's just purely fun, romantic and memorable.
  • We picked Friday the 13th because 13 is my favorite number and he likes scary movies.  Kind of dumb...but we were looking in early May and that date worked out perfect for our travel plans.  Plus, I know he'll never forget our anniversary.
    Anniversary
  • We picked May7,2011 it has some sentimental meaning we had gotten back together in May after 5yrs of seperation. And we found out later that his mother and father were married on May 5, his grandmothers birthday is May 6, My best friend got married on May 8 and we have a cousin whose's birthday is May 9 so it seems like May 7 actually chose us........Congrats to all
    www.letsmakeitofficial.weebly.com updated 1/24/11 OOOOooohhh, Mrs. WILSON
  • OP what the hell?   that is a really bizarre reason for choosing a wedding date.

Our date is november 26th.  We originally wanted a december winter wedding but the venue was half price everyday november, so we chose the last which happened to be the 26th.  Turns out that we had our first date march 26th, got engaged on july 26th and will be getting married november 26th- all different years, but 4 calender months apart and in order, so it seems it was the rigth date for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards