Not Engaged Yet

Tattoo Placement Ideas

So my step-father and I have had a deal going since high school that once I graduated he would pay for me to get a tattoo. When I graduated high school, he said I had to graduate college. When I got my Associates he said I had to get my BS. When I was done, he said it didn't count because I didn't have the diploma in hand (I technically graduated in December but the ceremony isn't until May so I don't have the actual paper degree yet.)

So I told him only 5 more weeks until I get the paper degree and that he needs to actually go through with it this time. He agreed and told me to decide what I am going to get. I have decided and know that this is in fact what I want to get. I want the Boston "B" inside of a Shamrock. Examples:

There aren't really any pictures of the actual tattoo that I want, but you get the idea. Now the hard part, where should I put this tattoo? I am thinking my hip, but I don't know if I should do front hip, or back hip. I also think maybe ankle. So I pose the question to you all where should I get this tattoo?
friends tv show funy

Re: Tattoo Placement Ideas

• edited December 2011
    I'm partial to the ribs and the middle back. most of my friends front hip tattoos i don't like. I've never seen a back hip tattoo. and i've never liked ankle. That's my opinion though, this is your tattoo...get it where you want it. 

i just googled back hip tattoo...i do like them. now that's thrown into the mix of where i want MY tattoo. lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I voted ankle. I have one on my inner ankle (meaning the right side of my left ankle). I also have one on my ribs, which I love the placement of, but is huge. I think for the size you would want for something like that, ankle is the right choice.
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Front or back.  Def not ankle.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • danz9danz9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ankle, i have one on the "outside" ankle on my left side and love hte way it look when i am wearing capris/skirts/dresses and heels in the summer.
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The only thing that makes me weary about the ankle is that they sometimes are way too far up the leg. I know that they can't do it right on the bone or anything, but I think once it gets too high, it looks funny.
    friends tv show funy
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I voted ankle, simply for practicality purposes.  This is something you're going to have for the rest of your life, and, well, I know that most of my friends and I gain weight on our hips, which would stretch it out.  And that's never pretty.  Ankles, however. tend not to shrink and stretch as much.

I'm probably going to get mine on my ankle, so I'm biased.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone with a tattoo on the top of their foot and someone else with one on the side of their heel. Both chose that area because it was easy to hide and that skin doesn't change as much over time in those areas. 

I think it really depends on what you want from the tattoo, is it something private that you don't want to show very much or is it something you want to be public.

• edited December 2011
    Have you considered a foot tattoo? I have a co-worker who has a smooch on her foot and it's really cute. I would never have thought to put one there.

I also agree with Peekaboo's logic about body changes. If you plan on ever having children or think it's possible you could gain or lose weight, I probably wouldn't get one on the hips or stomach area...

Here some feet pics:

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoo-placement-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:09727f92-d870-4c6c-ba25-adaeb5845dccPost:c4c79cf2-c59c-482f-b90c-67220d1c2cf8">Re: Tattoo Placement Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know someone with a tattoo on the top of their foot and someone else with one on the side of their heel. Both chose that area because it was easy to hide and that skin doesn't change as much over time in those areas.  I think it really depends on what you want from the tattoo, is it something private that you don't want to show very much or is it something you want to be public.  
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

Apparently we were thinking the same thing Hazel!
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of ankle tatts but I do like the side of the heel right under the ankle bone. If I ever got one, that's where it would be. I like hip too but peekaboo made a very good point about gaining right there. I love the tattoo design :)
  • Eggshell31Eggshell31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote rib cage
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    Say no to the TRAMP STAMP!  I go for the ankle inside.  But its your preference whether to have it more private or out for the world to see. 
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoo-placement-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:09727f92-d870-4c6c-ba25-adaeb5845dccPost:4ff44936-8f31-425d-9ecd-8b0f763e52a2">Re: Tattoo Placement Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing that makes me weary about the ankle is that they sometimes are way too far up the leg. I know that they can't do it right on the bone or anything, but I think once it gets too high, it looks funny.
    Posted by cdechristopher[/QUOTE]
    mine is really low - if you look at the inside of your ankle and find that round bone, the majority of mine is lower than that. I like the placement. I can take a pic tonight and post it if you want a better idea. :) 
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    I voted back of the hip.  That's where I would put my hypothetical lightning bolt tattoo.  It's also not an area where you can really gain or lose weight, so there's not the stretch factor to worry about.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoo-placement-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:09727f92-d870-4c6c-ba25-adaeb5845dccPost:cdc6da5c-660b-453d-bfa5-faadfbcf4264">Re: Tattoo Placement Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tattoo Placement Ideas : mine is really low - if you look at the inside of your ankle and find that round bone, the majority of mine is lower than that. I like the placement. <strong>I can take a pic tonight and post it if you want a better idea. :) 
    </strong>Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome!

I do like the foot tattoos and I am thinking of getting one there eventually, I'm just not sure what yet. I think my family is getting a rose for my grandparents and it would be going there. I also think something long and thin would look better on the foot then something more round/square.
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't do ankle unless you really don't care about people seeing it. Especially for interviews and stuff. I have one on my "front hip" it is like below my tummy. If I could do over I would get it on my rib cage or back hip. It is going to stretch so bad when I have a kid. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I voted ankle for the same reason as some of the other girls, I have a friend who put stars on her front hips and while she was pregnant they became warped and mis-shapen.  She just went to get a consultation to get them fixed, but there really isn't one unless she does a cover up. 

Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • edited December 2011
    Ohhh, tattoos. My love. Don't get me started. Oh wait, you did ;-) I don't have pictures right now, I'm feeling lazy. 

I have 6 tattoos throughout all different parts of my body - back of the neck, across the back, right hip, right calf, right Achilles and left ankle. My two favorite placements are the back of my neck and my Achilles. 

The neck one I find the most practical. I have a little heart there (less than 2" big). On interviews or for formal events, I wear my hair down or pulled back with a headband, so it's hidden completely. When I'm casual or hanging out at home, it's up in a bun or banana clip. I don't care if anyone sees it. However, unless I manipulate some mirrors or someone else takes a picture of it, I can't see it. Is seeing the tattoo a big part for you? If you don't care, then I highly recommend putting a tattoo there. It's a really weird sensation, but I don't remember being bothered by it. 

The Achilles is the same thing as the ankle. It's hidden by pants but not skirts or shorts. It's slightly higher up than the ankle, so it can't be covered unless I'm wearing knee socks. The ankle tattoo for me was pretty painful. My ankle tattoo is a rabbit silhouette. Having the outline filled in, on a part of the body that's pretty much skin and bone, was excruciating. I'm not trying to scare you out of placing a tattoo there - everyone is different - I'm just sharing. 

Cde, you know where to find me if you have any other questions! =)

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    edited December 2011
    I voted front hip because that's where I have mine and I love it. I get to see it every day, yet it's covered by my bathing suit. I got it when I was 20, which means I've had it for 15 years and I haven't regretted it for a single day. It's a Clemson tiger paw, about 2-3 inches around, and about 2 inches below and inside my left hip.

Love your tattoo idea and congratulations!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    I would avoid the front hip.  I would imagine that it wouldn't look so hot after it stretches out from being pregnant one day (assuming you're planning on having kids).
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have a cross on the back of my neck. I can't exactly see it but its easy to show or easy to hide if i need to.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    This is on my right foot.  I love it.  I have 7 tattoos and this was BY FAR the most painful, but I think it's my fave...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    as promised :) sorry my foot looks gross
  • redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one on my front hip and my ankle. A word of warning....I am pretty sure for about the first month with each of them I had a split second of panic that there was a bug or something on me every time I glimsed them. Especially in the shower. I stubbed my toes so many times kicking my foot to shake off the offending object before it clicked in my head. It does provide entertainment for those around you though! Good luck where ever you decide!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoo-placement-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:09727f92-d870-4c6c-ba25-adaeb5845dccPost:88a6ee73-4420-4c2b-b058-a336e2cc6c89">Re: Tattoo Placement Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]as promised :) sorry my foot looks gross
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

I really like that! I'm wondering if mine would fit there, and I hope so! I want it to be big enough to see the "B" but not too big.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions. I have printed off the image to stare at until I go to get it to make sure it is what I want, and will have to make a final decision on where to place it.
    friends tv show funy
  • thejessythejessy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always wanted to get one on the back of my neck because I never put my hair up, but now for my job I always have to wear my hair up so I'm glad that didn't happen... yet. I also like tats on the inside wrist and behind the ear... but that's just me. I probably didn't help you any... sorry. :P
  • singing_lynsinging_lyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted ankle, but I'm sort of partial. I have a blue rose tattooed on the inside of my right ankle, where the knobby bone is the stalk of the rose curves around it a bit, and almost no one ever notices it because of how it is. I had it for years before one of my cousin's realized I had it, and even people that know I have it forget until they see it if I'm sitting with my legs crossed and a skirt or capris. I love foot tattoos too though and that was originally what I wanted but the tattoo artist talked me out of it because I got it at the end of winter and was going to still be wearing shoes and socks for a while and he thought that wearing socks and shoes would make the scab peal off. I also like some of the tattoos I've seen on girls on the inside of their wrist, but it's not a place that can exactly be easily covered up. So it's really about preferance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one on my shoulder and it's placed so that if I want to show it off in a bathing suit or sketti strap top I can but I can also easily hide it.

May be an idea...?

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    This is on the inside of my right wrist, that way a sleeve will cover it in the cooler months or a bracelet in the warmer months, when I want to. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards