Chit Chat

How to stock a popcorn bar?

We are having a popcorn bar at our wedding to double as a light snack later in the evening, as well as favors. I just ordered 400 cups of popcorn, 100 cups each of regular, cheddar, caramel, and kettle. We have about 150 guests, so this should be plenty lol. But we also want to include things like m&ms, peanuts, mini pretzels, maybe Reese's pieces, etc. how much quantity-wise should we stock of those little extras?

PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: How to stock a popcorn bar?

• Are you going to have separate bags for those? I wouldn't put those on my popcorn. 
  • Can I just say I would ADORE this as a guest?
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks @kmmssg! I think it sounds fun and will appease those who like sweet or salty!

@misssunshine17 I wasn't planning on having separate bags since the idea of the popcorn bar was to a make a trail mix kind of thing, I would assume if people didn't want those things on their popcorn, they just wouldn't put them on. Like at froyo places, just cause the toppings are there doesn't mean you have to use them, you know?

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I have def indulged in some m&ms in my popcorn and it is yummy for those who like the salty sweet combo. I say make a couple of small bowls with the candy in then with a scoop and small sign that says "Top it off with something sweet" or somthing like that. That way it encourages people to use it as a sort of topping rather than filling the bag.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • I like popcorn, I like reeses but not together haha so that was my thought. No big deal either way, I guess. 
  • I won't mix my snacks like that.  I don't want to have to work for chocolate.  Can you put out some little bags or empty cups for the non-popcorn snacks??  

• hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    As long as you did not mix the other snacks in with the popcorn but I would say that if you ordered 100 cups of each popcorn flavor, I would do at least 50 cups of each other the other snacks since not all of your guests may like popcorn or even be in the mood to eat it. I know personally, I like popcorn but I have to be in the mood for it. I also would go to a dollar store and get some smaller plates or cups or bags or something for the guests to use if they don't want any popcorn or maybe if they want to take some of the stuff home at night to eat the next day. Guests usually like it when they can take favors home (or at least have the option to).
  • If you don't like candy with your popcorn, what's stopping you from just taking two of whatever bags or containers are there for the popcorn and putting candy in one and popcorn in the other?  Common sense for the win.

OP, make sure you have plenty of bags for that reason.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • hordolhordol member
    Thanks everyone! Yes, I am aware that not everyone in the world likes popcorn, but I will never in my life please everybody and am not trying to. ;) Just like how I expect some of my guests won't take cake because they don't like it, I believe there will be some guests that don't take popcorn. It's just how it is.

I will set out some cups with the bags if people just want to put candy in it or something. There--problem solved!

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Just wanted to pipe in that my sister had this at her wedding last summer and it was a HUGE hit. Actually, a little too much of a hit- we had it set up during cocktail hour while the wedding party was taking pictures and by the time we got there it was all gone! Kind of a bummer but we heard people talking about it all night.

We didn't have a very scientific formula for the toppings--- just bought toppings and instructed the man running it to wait until a topping has run out to open the bag to refill it. That way nothing would go to waste. I think we ended up having a few bags of chocolate chips leftover for pancakes the next few weeks but other than that everything was used! We definitely tried to err on the side of too much toppings (since we knew we'd be able to throw most of the stuff in the freezer and use it later) but we still ended up completely running out of a few of the toppings. So I would definitely buy a little more than you think you'll need. You can never have too much chocolate laying around!
  • May I ask where you ordered the popcorn?
  • I'd keep it simple and do all the popcorn types you described. Then maybe a jar of pretzels and M&Ms for the people who don't like pcorn. As a guest that would seem awesome to me and maybe would be less hassle for you than a full out popcorn/candy bar. 

Would you mind if I pirated your idea? :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Sounds awesome! I would definitely add m&ms and pretzels to my popcorn. I love mixing.

For those who don't like mixing, maybe just add a couple dozen extra bags? I'm assuming you're providing bags (or cups?) for guests to scoop these into.

I'd say 25-50 cups of each of the toppings/candies would be plenty.
  • hordolhordol member
    I'd keep it simple and do all the popcorn types you described. Then maybe a jar of pretzels and M&Ms for the people who don't like pcorn. As a guest that would seem awesome to me and maybe would be less hassle for you than a full out popcorn/candy bar. 

Would you mind if I pirated your idea? :)
    Pirate away! Haha, I stole this idea from pinterest so it's not really mine anyway. :)

@LifeIsSweeter I ordered the popcorn online from The Popcorn Wagon. They let you specify in your order when exactly you need it delivered so they can give you the freshest stuff they can.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • hordolhordol member
    sxyktn812 said:
    There are also popcorn seasonings that are DELICIOUS- heck, I use the white cheddar on my broccoli!  The brand is Kernel Seasonings, and they have white cheddar, ranch, nacho, bacon cheddar, chili lime, chocolate marshmallow, you name it.  They're easy, not messy and could provide some options for those who wouldn't want to add things in but might light some fun and crazy flavors.  
    Great idea, thanks!

PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards