Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Penn Scenic View, Rockwood

Hi! We have booked our wedding at Penn Scenic View in Rockwood for May 18, 2013. We plan on having the ceremony on the peninsula on the lake with immediate family on the peninsula and remaining family and friends in the parking lot (we will have guests parking at the pavilion so that there are no cars on this grassy parking lot obviously). We plan on getting a DJ to set up a microphone and speakers so those guests can hear everything. The reception will be in the lake side lodge. The wedding will be a rustic spring theme with wood slabs, moss, metal watering cans (as flower vases), mason jars (for floating candles) and bird houses for decor. Favors will be potted herbs. I'm looking for anyone who ever had a wedding or is having a wedding here to get some other inspirational ideas and decor options. Since the entire room is wood I don't want to do much to it, just simple table centerpieces.. Also who did you have cater and how would you rate them? Anyone else who has any ideas who hasn't had/isn't having their wedding here can also come in with rustic spring ideas to, please! Thanks in advance!
May 2013 August Siggy: Hair Inspiration

Re: Penn Scenic View, Rockwood

• Hi! My best friend had her wedding there last summer. She did long banquet-style tables (that fit more people than rounds) and lined the entire length of each table (probalby 20ish feet long) with mason jars (and votives inside the jars) and manzanita branches every few feet or so. It looked really stunning in the rustic setting.

I will say, though, that it took about three people close to an hour to light all of the candles. So if you decide to do that, make sure you have enough people lined up to help and give them enough time right before the reception to get everything lit. Since your ceremony is also taking place there and the reception could be immediatley following, that might be hard since the candle-lighting would need to take place at the same time as the ceremony. Just something to think about.

Your ideas sound gorgeous and would work really well in the natural, wooded setting. Good luck and keep us posted on your planning!
  • Thanks a lot! I never really thought about it.. maybe battery lit ones would be best and still give it the right effect! Thanks a lot! We are doing the round tables because I will only need enough for about 100 people. My thought was 1 mason jar with floating candle per centerpiece. But the head table I wanted to do the entire length with different sized mason jars and different size candles. I already have all of my wood slabs, they are currently drying so I can start the wood-burning process!
  • I am getting married at Penn Scenic this July.  We are meeting with Oakhurst tea room this weekend.  They have great pricing and from what i hear great food.  We are doing ivory lanterns for centerpieces.  We still have a lot of planning to do since we just booked about a month ago.  I love the locations it is gorgeous!!
  • Hello ladies!    I am also having my wedding at Penn Scenic.   June 30, 2012.   I love the scenery.  The entire bridal party is staying at the stable lodge, which will be nice so that no one will have to drive after having a few.   We are also having the ceremony on the pennisula.  Lets hope for beautiful weather.  Im thinking our plan B will just be having hte ceremony in the reception area. Not ideal.  

The logistics of this place is driving me nuts.  We have 13 in our wedding party and I can't figure out how to arrange the bridal party table.  I also really want to have round tables, but i believe the groundskeeper told us that only 13 round fit. Also, there realyl isn't anywhere to drape lights, so i'm worried itll look, blah.  Im sure it will all come together tho Tongue out  

Im doing a vintage/rustic theme with lots of burlap and twine.   Centerpieces will be mason jars with wildflowers.   My favorite idea is the favors we made.  Homemade apple butter with labels that say "spread the love".  

Let me know if you gals come up with any other ideas. We will all have the best weddings ever, especially if we brainstorm together! 

Take Care!
  • Hi Ladies!

I am also having my wedding at Penn Scenic View on June 8th, 2013.  Right now the only thing I have booked is Penn Scenic!  I am starting to feel a little stressed about it.  I know I still have over a year away but you have to look into everything for this place.  I absolutely love it there and we knew what we were getting into but still!  I love all of your decor ideas!  I was just curious but how many people do you think fit on the pennisula for the ceremony?  I saw pictures online of another wedding there that had the ceremony on the pennisula but I can't tell how many people.  Since we viewed Penn Scenic in January and there was half snow/half mud we didn't walk to the pennisula.  Something else I am struggling with, is working with a rental place for the ceremony chairs (also will be renting other items like linens, etc.)  I thought there would be places at least a little closer to Rockwood but I have found nothing.  The qoutes I am receiving from Pittsburgh companies are just a lot in terms of the 'travel fee'.  Has anyone found a rental place closer to the Rockwood area?

Keep me updated!  Definitely still need caterer, photography, dj, officiant, rentals, centerpieces, ETC!!!

Thanks!
  • Hey ladies! 

I really like all of your ideas!  My finace and I are getting married at Penn Scenic on June 8th, 2013.  I know we still over a year away but I'm starting to feel stressed since all we have booked is Penn Scenic!  For out on the peninsula, how many guests do you all think it would hold?  We saw Penn Scenic back in January when it was a mix of snow/mud so we didn't make it down there and we are planning on having our ceremony outside.  Something else I am struggling with is a rental company.  I would like to rent chairs for the ceremony and also linens.  I am only finding rental companies here in Pittsburgh (they charge a lot in terms of travel fee to get there) and haven't had any luck finding anything close to Penn Scenic.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Or could you let me know if you are using a rental company and which one?

Thanks!
  • ansannaansanna member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    Just went back out yesterday for another look. Have a lot in mind. Supposedly they fit 70 people on the peninsula at one wedding. We are planning about 30 to 40 on there, and then the rest on the hill beside the gazebo thing, we plan on setting up the chairs and turning and standing in that direction so that those on the hillside can see us. If it rains we plan on having it under the patio in the back of it outside of the door by the kitchen and stringing some lights from the ceiling and using the fire place as our back drop. As for rentals, check out Joelle's wedding elegance. They are in Johnstown, she DDS a great job.
  • ansannaansanna member
    Sorry for that, my phone sent it before I got a chance to finish/fix it. Sorry for any typos, my phone screws up too many words... But Joelle does great work!
  • ansannaansanna member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_penn-scenic-rockwood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:62ecc33e-f61c-48a6-9761-eff3b258bf73Post:04cfa4ec-966e-4156-9ace-24e0561d88a7">Re: Penn Scenic View, Rockwood</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies!    I am also having my wedding at Penn Scenic.   June 30, 2012.   I love the scenery.  The entire bridal party is staying at the stable lodge, which will be nice so that no one will have to drive after having a few.   We are also having the ceremony on the pennisula.  Lets hope for beautiful weather.  Im thinking our plan B will just be having hte ceremony in the reception area. Not ideal.   The logistics of this place is driving me nuts.  We have 13 in our wedding party and I can't figure out how to arrange the bridal party table.  I also really want to have round tables, but i believe the groundskeeper told us that only 13 round fit. Also, there realyl isn't anywhere to drape lights, so i'm worried itll look, blah.  Im sure it will all come together tho    Im doing a vintage/rustic theme with lots of burlap and twine.   Centerpieces will be mason jars with wildflowers.   My favorite idea is the favors we made.  Homemade apple butter with labels that say "spread the love".   Let me know if you gals come up with any other ideas. We will all have the best weddings ever, especially if we brainstorm together!  Take Care!
    Posted by krock7228[/QUOTE]

Our party will be 5 maids and 5 groomsmen we are sitting in between the doors along the window, but you could put them along the length of the wall instead.. I was told 16 round tables will fit but 4 will have to be wheeled away for the dance floor. We are planning on 14 (which will be less once I find out who won't be coming) so that only 2 will have to be wheeled away, but we will keep the chairs out along the wall so guests can still sit. And technically one of those tables will be just for vendors (DJ, photographer, etc) so they actually won't need a place to sit at a table after dinner. I don't think you need to string any lights inside the lodge, the chandeliers and the sconces will set the right mood in my opinion. The place itself gorgeous itself, so im not doing much for decorations.
  • Hey!

I am getting married at Penn Scenic View in July 2013. I am willing to either rent/buy your rustic decorations, centerpieces, etc. If you are interested please let me know! If so, and you have any pictures of them at this point I'd love to see them. Thanks.

-Olivia

• Hey!

Will you be selling any of your rustic decorations? Please let me know!

-Olivia
  • Olivia, I'm the same person that has been sending you e-mails... I haven't received any recent responses from you, since the first email. I have already posted my items for sale elsewhere, so if you want anything, please email me back, asap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards