Snarky Brides

Sneakers

I've been getting back to the gym lately and doing some workouts at home and I'm looking for a nice comfortable pair of walking/running sneakers. I don't really have a preference, but I've always liked New Balance. I have a pair currently that are fine for light workouts or running around but when I have them on for a while my feet hurt. I feel like they aren't providing a lot of support and cushioning. They are also a few years old and pretty dirty so I'm definitely looking for a new pair.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay under $80.

Re: Sneakers

• Reebok Easytone and RunTone are soooo comfy.  I don't know if I really buy the whole concept of them working like they say, but I will continue to buy them because they are really cushy and supportive.

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • Asics! They're my favourite.
    Anniversary
  • I use either New Balance or the Reebok Easytone.  The Reebok's are around $100, I think.  I found my New Balance's on sale at Foot Locker for about $40.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sneakers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f24c1686-1ae1-4b36-9921-f8c7aff6ebb6Post:daf90684-94d4-4d53-9f31-29bd848046dc">Re: Sneakers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Asics! They're my favourite.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

They're so comfortable but I can never find a pair under $120 :(

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sneakers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f24c1686-1ae1-4b36-9921-f8c7aff6ebb6Post:daf90684-94d4-4d53-9f31-29bd848046dc">Re: Sneakers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Asics! They're my favourite.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

Mine too, which reminds me - I'm definitely due for a new pair.

I'd like to try the Under Armour ones, though.
    panther
  • Mizuno is my favorite. Asics are good too. If your feet are hurting, you don't want too much cushion - you want support, and buy a good insole support (the ones that come in the shoes are crappy).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sneakers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f24c1686-1ae1-4b36-9921-f8c7aff6ebb6Post:3b691982-f8fc-4e66-9c3d-feefea89cece">Re: Sneakers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sneakers : They're so comfortable but I can never find a pair under $120 :(
    Posted by sherrbearr22[/QUOTE]

Hell, I am pretty sure the last pair I bought were about 80ish bucks.
    panther
  • I don't care what kind of shoes you get, but go to Kohls...they have killer sales.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sneakers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f24c1686-1ae1-4b36-9921-f8c7aff6ebb6Post:aff256bf-2224-4c09-a9dc-3c7a06c6606f">Re: Sneakers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care what kind of shoes you get, but go to Kohls...they have killer sales.
    Posted by ArmyofUs[/QUOTE]

Uh, that kind of defeats the purpose though. I need a good pair of running shoes not a great deal. Sure, a great deal is nice, but why bother getting sneakers for $40 if they're terrible?
  • I have a pair of New Balance running shoes I LOVE, but they were $160 CND. 
  • ArmyofUsArmyofUs member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    No, I mean, I got a pair of Easytones there for $45.  They had Nike, Adidas, New Balance; all for cheep because they're "last season".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh ok. It might be a place to check out. I just know they have a much more limited selection than say Foot Locker or Finish Line or DSW.
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    You should go get fitted at a running store, and then buy them online. Different brands are made for different feet and different gaits. Seriously, getting recs about our faves won't get you the best pair of shoes for your tootsies. 

WHen you buy online, go to runningwarehouse.com. They always have the shoes way cheaper than even Academy. But don't get fitted at Academy. Try to find a running store. Their employees are much better trained. 

ETA: at that website, you have to add the shoes to your cart to see the discounted price. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sneakers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f24c1686-1ae1-4b36-9921-f8c7aff6ebb6Post:c5e256c3-a72f-42e2-bcbb-52c401e9f09d">Re: Sneakers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sneakers : Hell, I am pretty sure the last pair I bought were about 80ish bucks.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

You're a good shopper!  My first real job was at Foot Locker and everytime they had employee appreciation (50% off) I'd stock up on shoes for my family and I.  Those were the days!

Bio
  • EEKK, no!  Don't get a pair of "toning" shoes, especially if you plan on using them for anything other than walking.  A) they're a giant gimmick, and B) they work by throwing off your balance with is a recipe for injury if there's any kind of lateral movement.

IMO, it's worth it, for your bodies sake, to get a decent pair of shoes.  You might be able to pick up an older or discontinued model for less money, but you might have to spend $100+.  If you plan on doing a lot of walking/running, then your best bet is to find a running store and get fitted for shoes.  A good store will look at your old shoes to see where they wear and watch you walk to figure out the proper shoes for you.

If that's out of the question, a decent pair of stability shoes would probably be safe.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FWIW, my current shoes are Mizuno Wave Nirvanas that I got from runningwarehouse.com. In my althetic life, though, I have gone through phases were New Balance and Saucony were more appropriate for my gait and foot. It just depends on the shoe and your foot. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am not buying toning shoes. Not only do I know they don't work, but they're generally hideous, IMO.

I know it depends on my feet but I was just looking for suggestions to see if certain brands or "models" were commonly used and acclaimed.

I don't mind paying more, I'm just keeping a certain number in mind.
  • I would recommend looking around for local stores that carry Brooks shoes; you may have to call some specialty stores catering to runners.  I had been complaining about my feet hurting and my trainer at the gym send me to a local runners store and he put me in a pair of Brooks and it was night and day from my Nike's.  I don't typically run more than a mile a day but they're incredibly comfortable for cross training at the gym too which is most of what I do on a day to day basis.  They come in numerous widths and the people that sell that brand tend to actually know how to put you in the correct shoe; in my case I needed a 2E width which is probably why all previous shoes I've used end up hurting after a while, but of course no one at Sports Authority or any other chain peddling Nike/Reebok type major brands would know that, or care.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Thanks Vegas, I've heard of that brand before. In my experience, Nikes have been the most uncomfortable and overpriced sneakers you can get.

I do have somehwat of a high arch and since my left ankle was injured pretty badly it definitely needs a comfortable and supportive shoe.
  • I was disappointed in New Balance - everyone raved about them; I tried them on and they seemed okay, but after wearing them for a day, they were so wrong on my feet. I have odd shaped feet since I had my big toes realigned. I have Nikes now, but I want my Adidas again.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I mostly agree with Raynes...here is my caveat...I spend a lot on my shoes but I work out a lot. I actually have two pairs...one for weights and one for running...the ones I run in are more expensive than the weights one, but not by much. I wear Saucony's and love them. The ones I wear for weights (or anything non-impact) cost me $130+ tax. My running shoes are specifically for people who over-pronate and they cost me $150+ tax.  But I spend that much now because I am investing in my workout gear because I spent 6 days a week in it. And my knees and feet hurt if I don't have really good shoes to run in.  My shoes before would be in the $100 with tax range. They were fine for what I was doing then, which was about 2-3 days a week and not running.
  • i love my Asics.

I get mine at Famous Footware. They're always doign sales.  I've never had to spend over $60.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sneakers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f24c1686-1ae1-4b36-9921-f8c7aff6ebb6Post:9a83eedd-1193-4a79-962d-85d976235bfc">Re: Sneakers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Vegas, I've heard of that brand before. In my experience, Nikes have been the most uncomfortable and overpriced sneakers you can get. I do have somehwat of a high arch and since my left ankle was injured pretty badly it definitely needs a comfortable and supportive shoe.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

Try their shoe advisor; they have certain shoes specific to high arch, how your foot comes down (flat, on the sides, etc.), etc.:

<a href="http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BrooksRunning-Site/default/Page-ShoeAdvisor" rel='nofollow'>http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BrooksRunning-Site/default/Page-ShoeAdvisor</a>

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I ended up getting a new pair earlier today. A pair of Asics. Definitely a huge step up. They're very light but also cushiony and supportive. I'm excited to wear them tomorrow. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Vegas, I'll definitely keep Brooks in mind for the future. I wanted to get something quickly because I needed them for right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards