Wedding Etiquette Forum

XP: Entertainment company bringing photographer/videographer?

AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited June 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Our entertainment company just wrote me an e-mail saying they plan to give us some extras. Here is one of the things they said:

Also we will have our own video / photographer at the event to take footage of the event for our own use as well as pictures for us. We do this at most events . We will give you access to all of this after the event if you would like.

I feel like that's a little weird. We have 2 photographers and 2 videographers already. I'm not sure how they would feel about this. I'm not sure how I feel about this. We picked high-quality, expensive people for our photo/video. Like most of you, we spent days visiting with photographers/videographers and looking through photos to find people who shared our vision and did extraordinary work. I don't want people we didn't select getting in their way. I have no idea how good these people are. The only good that would come of it is we'd have photos to display on our tv screens. We found out pretty late in the game that our photographer isn't really a fan of handing over her photos before she's had a chance to edit them.

Should we tell him no, he can't bring these people? Is this normal? Has anyone else had their entertainment company bring their own photo/video, and if so, did they get in the way?

Re: XP: Entertainment company bringing photographer/videographer?

• If you don't want the footage, I would say no. I went to a wedding recently and they have literally 5-7 photographers and a couple videographers and I was uncomfortable with how often the snapped pictures of us. 
  • AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    @misssunshine17, good point. That is pushing me even further over to the side of telling him he needs to leave these people behind.

Do you think we have the right to tell him no? The way he wrote it, it seems like he's saying, "this is what we're doing. Do you want a copy?" rather than, "is this okay with you?" It doesn't say anything about these additional people in our contract.
  • I would start by asking WHY he wants these people and that you already have a videographer/photog. Ask him if he wants marketing materials, you can get him some from your own people, I suppose. It would rub me the wrong way that he is basically demanding them, too. 
  • We had an opt out clause for this in our contract. Maybe look at your contract?
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I just looked at our contract and there is just no mention of this at all. 
  • Hm, I might just say you're uncomfortable with the idea and ask if you can opt out. My fiancé is actually in a flier for a venue by us because he was a groomsman and was pretty mad because he never gave permission for the photo to be distributed, so it's not like you're only protecting yourself. You have guests that may not want to be advertisements too, ya know?
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • It turns out that both my photographer and videographer contracts state that they have to be the exclusive photographer and videographer. Done deal. Even if I wanted him to bring these extra vendors, I couldn't allow it. Thank you!
  • So, your last response makes my feedback moot, but yeah, I would feel like their videographer is way too much to demand of you and I'm positive my videographer has exclusivity to the event.

It's one thing for them to take a few shots to show their handiwork, it's another to be intrusive, which it will be.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards