Registry and Gift Forum

honeymoon registry TOP 10?

This is what I came up with, did I miss anything?

TOP 10 Reasons not to have a honeymoon/cash registry: 

#1. Rude. Despite that some people might not be offended by them, they are still a blatant request for cash, which is rude, and tacky. 

#2. Trickery. Almost all honeymoon/cash registries “trick” the guests into thinking that they are buying the couple something- like a sunset cruise- when in reality the couple just gets cut a check.

#3. Economy. A lot of people have been hard hit by the economy, and it has an extra burn to ask them to pay for a vacation (or worse a home, when they might be struggling with foreclosure like so many people are). Be thoughtful and considerate, if they have money to give, they will.

#4. Timing. Most guests buy gifts right before or after the wedding, therefore the money from a HM registry cannot be counted upon for planning a honeymoon (which needs to be booked in advance). 

#5. Showers. The whole purpose of bridal showers is to ‘shower’ the bride with gifts, so if you don’t have a registry with gifts, then be prepared to decline any showers.

#6. Guests are not dumb. They know that cash is always appreciated, and they will give you cash if they want to.

#7. Fees. Some registries take a fee or cut, why not just skip the middle man? Your guests will give you money directly to you. 

#8. Greedy. HM/cash registries can appear greedy to guests, since these are things that you want, but do not need. 

#9. Unreliable. You never know how much you will get, so plan a honeymoon that you can afford, or you might get stuck without enough to pay for the trip. 

#10. Advice: Create a small registry, because some guests will buy gifts no matter what. Then have your family/friends spread by word of mouth that you are saving up for something, so when guests ask what to get you they can respond with “oh B&G are really saving for their _____(honeymoon, house, family, etc)”.  

Re: honeymoon registry TOP 10?

• GREAT post!! Totally agree with you. This should be made a sticky, not that it would stop people from asking about HM registries.

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    You hit them all.

Now how do we get the Knot gods to put this as a sticky since there is no mod on this board?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Great post!  Hopefully K.Annie will respond to Tidh's post on the board.  As for the copying and pasting on all of those CRAZY Honeymoon or Cash registries... GO FOR IT!!!!! :-) I get so tired of reading them ... as if people think the response will be different this week than last week.  I guess the concept of "lurking on the boards" has escaped those who keep posting the same question day after day. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Not a bad idea Meganandjay, kind of like Trix's donation as a favor post. Hits the nail on the head and she keeps it handy to post.
  • THIS SHOULD NEVER BE A STICKY POST- it goes against the mission statement of the online community. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-top-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5f9d2085-3493-4a33-a667-3084ab469df0Post:1fe1bc44-b69e-4614-8749-e37f05c5b88f">Re: honeymoon registry TOP 10?</a>:
    [QUOTE]THIS SHOULD NEVER BE A STICKY POST- it goes against the mission statement of the online community. 
    Posted by vhalbeck[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, if the mission statement was something like:</div><div>
    </div><div>"All participating brides must support and validate ideas that society in general would consider rude and selfish.  Remember our motto -- IT'S YOUR (bride only) DAY, DO WHAT YOU WANT AND TO HELL WITH YOUR GUESTS."</div><div>
    </div><div>But I think I missed that part when I read the TOS.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-top-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5f9d2085-3493-4a33-a667-3084ab469df0Post:1fe1bc44-b69e-4614-8749-e37f05c5b88f">Re: honeymoon registry TOP 10?</a>:
    [QUOTE]THIS SHOULD NEVER BE A STICKY POST- it goes against the mission statement of the online community. 

And just what is that statement exactly?
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010

I think it's a great sticky.

But I also never got the memo on what the site's "mission statement" was ... isn't this some kind of support group for Elvis impersonators with manic botany rituals?

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • great post! i hate honeymoon registries
  • A sticky post is a means to explain to users how to use the site and enrich their experience on the Knot.  Or can be used as a sponsored link (which the Knot does not allow)  I am not expressing my concern over making it a sticky post because I think that people should or should not have a honeymoon registry.   A sticky post is not a means to post what they think is right and wrong for a wedding.  The Knot is here to be a welcoming environment for all people from all backgrounds to share information and bounce ideas off of each other, not to tell people what is right or wrong, gang up on people, or insulting them with sarcasm.

I really hope that the sarcasm and complete ganging up on people would come to a stop.  You're giving the Knot community a bad name.  I go on other boards on the site and people don't talk to each other this way.  I understand that you don't like the idea of a registry, fine, that's your opinion and you have every right to voice it, but there are more tactful ways of saying things instead of ganging up on users.

I say this in complete sincerity, please stop the sarcasm  as a means to insult people and gang up on users.

• ManwaithielManwaithiel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-top-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5f9d2085-3493-4a33-a667-3084ab469df0Post:29cd2fd4-5a9d-4fb9-8add-95a68165373d">Re: honeymoon registry TOP 10?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A sticky post is a means to explain to users how to use the site and enrich their experience on the Knot.  Or can be used as a sponsored link (which the Knot does not allow)  I am not expressing my concern over making it a sticky post because I think that people should or should not have a honeymoon registry.   A sticky post is not a means to post what they think is right and wrong for a wedding.  The Knot is here to be a welcoming environment for all people from all backgrounds to share information and bounce ideas off of each other, not to tell people what is right or wrong, gang up on people, or insulting them with sarcasm. I really hope that the sarcasm and complete ganging up on people would come to a stop.  You're giving the Knot community a bad name.  I go on other boards on the site and people don't talk to each other this way.  I understand that you don't like the idea of a registry, fine, that's your opinion and you have every right to voice it, but there are more tactful ways of saying things instead of ganging up on users.<strong> I say this in complete sincerity, please stop the sarcasm  as a means to insult people and gang up on users.</strong>

Sure, mom. Whatever you say.

Oh sorry. That was sarcasm again. I should stop. Crap! I did it again!

Sweetie, if you think you're the first person to throw down a "Stop the meanness!" post, then you need to lurk more. If you don't like this board, then go to the boards you obviously seem to get along with better and leave it alone. You're not going to change the attitude of a board from stamping your foot and preaching to us about how we need to conduct ourselves when you're being ridiculously preachy and self-righteous. The holier than thou is not about to win you any supporters, except from other like minded people who think they should be able to run into a community and tell people how to behave.

You need to pay attention to WHY the posters are getting "ganged up on". Take the "In lieu of" thread. Was she ganged up on because she was considering a honeymoon registry? No. She was told it was rude and tacky and potentially offensive to guests.

So what was all the hubbub about? I suggest you go read it again, because you clearly think this is about honeymoon registries.

What it WAS about was the fact that she stated (paraphrasing) "Oh honey, I NEED a vacation, you have NO idea," when everyone told her that she shouldn't ask guests to pay for things just because she wanted to go on a trip. It also stemmed from her throwing a fit when people GAVE HER OPINIONS and she pretty much decided she was only going to take opinions that agreed with her.

If someone proceeded to tell you IRL that 1) They needed a completely unnecessary trip simply because they have kids and 2) Implied the rest of us couldn't use a little time away and we just don't understand, would you not feel a little patronized and insulted? And does it not annoy you at all that she asks, even in the post's TITLE for an opinion about its rudeness, and then gets beyond pissy when she's told that it's just...rude.

She wasn't flamed for her curiosity. She was flamed for pretty princess attitude, sense of entitlement, and inability to take an opinion that did not validate her poor idea.

THAT is where the sarcasm and the aggravation came from.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • ::standing ovation::

Bravo Banana
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards